Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Hak'len (AKA Kresh liquor) is toxic to non-Caldari?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: A trend and a discussion.  (Read 16902 times)

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
Re: A trend and a discussion.
« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2010, 10:55 »

Just my 2 cents and not meant to be hyper-critical or anything.

You admit you understand the in character reason for something happening in the in character channel, but want the other people to act out of character because it harshes your mellow.

I don't think you can champion an unpopular cause and then be hurt that it makes you unpopular. Look at what happened to Seri's family. The Nation is up to really not nice stuff. I try not to make too many real-world comparisons, but Sansha supporters in most circles are going to be a bit like Nazi's showing up at a bar mitzfah.

I would suggest all the Sansha RPers need to make their own equivalent of The Summit and do their thing there. You've joined the counterculture and set yourself apart from the main of society. There are some steep consequences that go along with that.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2010, 10:59 »

So the Summit is for a particular faction now, or at least a coalition? I thought that's what SYNEPublic was for.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2010, 11:10 »

So the Summit is for a particular faction now, or at least a coalition? I thought that's what SYNEPublic was for.

Exactly. Part of The Summit is that it is for general RP. It's a central place for RPers, regardless of affiliation, to interact IC.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2010, 11:17 »

I want to add: Even with IC resources, sometimes considerations of what is good for the community (OOC) need to come first. Without a healthy community, the fidelity of the IC experience is going to be kinda irrelevant.

Right now we have a lot of potential new RPers floating around, with these events. We don't need to be showing them people getting banned from a general RP channel for the Faction they want to RP in.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2010, 11:43 »

I want to add: Even with IC resources, sometimes considerations of what is good for the community (OOC) need to come first. Without a healthy community, the fidelity of the IC experience is going to be kinda irrelevant.

Right now we have a lot of potential new RPers floating around, with these events. We don't need to be showing them people getting banned from a general RP channel for the Faction they want to RP in.

I've been sayin that for dayzzzz.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #20 on: 18 May 2010, 13:55 »

I definitely think some clarification is in order. I got banned from the channel myself, permanently, for providing false intel (which was entirely in-character), because people were using it as a rallying point to fight off the invasion this afternoon. 

Who owns the channel, what is it's purpose, and what are the rules?

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 18 May 2010, 14:23 »

Maybe it's time for a roleplay channel diaspora... :twisted: :yar:

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 18 May 2010, 14:23 »

If you pee in the public pool, don't be surprised if you are not allowed back in the water.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2010, 14:24 »

This isn't peeing. This is more akin to being on the other team of water volleyball.

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2010, 14:27 »

I'll have to agree with what's being said as well. The Summit should be a neutral entity of a channel, with exertion of moderating powers applied onto only those who are 'disrupting the peace' (eg: Allcaps, spam, going out of character). Having it as the result of being in-character would be setting a bad example to the ones new to it, or are attracted by the event and may be interested in roleplaying towards the future. Hosting it on the most known and trafficked RP channel, and holding it temporarily under 'martial law' is wrong.

I think for key problem here was the location of the event intself. Having specific conferances used as a rallying point against another entity of the game, should be used in a suitable biased channel for the targeted crowd. This one could have advertised to go to SYNE's, or the creation of a new channel for gatherings during this event. This way when issuing out bans or mutes, its already taken into consideration the channel itself is not neutral. You can even be more strict as a result, keeping in the ones that aren't causing complete chaotic and incoherent phrases that bog down the whole log for someone else to read.

I don't think anybody really anticipated how the outcome of last night's events, and is something to look out for next time. It's just a lesson learned.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2010, 14:32 by Arvo Katsuya »

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2010, 14:43 »

ohai, just saw this thread here.

A week ago, the Summit was a place where people said "hi", then went afk.

now, it has experienced a growth of around 250%.

Ashar co-opted the channel's name recognition to hold the Conference there. the conference is designed to stop Nation. This was ashar's decision, and at the start of this, i requested that he make it a different channel to isolate problems.

people chattering in the channel between Conference sessions still influence the Conference. People are becoming angry at nation supporters in the channel, and are threatening to stop participating in the Conference because of constant streams of propaganda and "Nation is Unity" crap.

welp.

How do I respond to demands from multiple people requesting mutes regarding people yammering about how wonderful it is for children being made into mind-slaves? As a person seeking the destruction of nation's campaign, how am I to respond, In character, as a host of the Conference and seeking collaboration and cooperation from those people making the requests?

The Sansha arc has divided the capsuleer community. IC tensions are higher than at any other point in the game's history, with real hatred being generated.

Nation supporters need to consider the fact that nobody actually likes them. And the more they actually do things that hurt everyone else in the game universe, then they will continue to be hated.

until such a time all this is settled, of course.  ;)
« Last Edit: 18 May 2010, 14:45 by Julianus Soter »

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2010, 14:45 »

Well, i can see those points. Lets just hope by then they have not said screw it and never return of course.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2010, 14:50 »

Sorry, but I can understand kicking someone out of an intel channel, but the summit, from my experience has been a neutral area for everyone to interact in. People need to understand the difference and you need to explain it to them.

If this is the position moderators of the channel are going to take on the issue, clearly there needs to be a new channel.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 18 May 2010, 14:54 »

Perhaps the problem is that Ashar used an existing channel for a purpose different from its original intention, thus essentially pushing aside anyone who didn't toe the coalition line.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #29 on: 18 May 2010, 15:10 »

Look, if I'm at a public park and other people are there too and we can all get along then there isn't a problem. But if I insert myself into your group and become disruptive, I can expect a park ranger to come along put me out. Giving false intel and going on and on about Nation is Unity is being disruptive.

The truth of the matter is that there is a war on between Nation and the rest of the universe. Sides are being taken and lines are being drawn. It's not an environment that is conducive to a neutral space.

I mean, really, Saxon is marshaling the IPI to prepare for a Titan to drop in Intaki. From all accounts he just saw 2 million of his cousins disappear in a single raid. Would he really saunter into a holo-bar and sit down for a round of virtual drinks with the people who are plotting to abduct his wife and children the first chance they get? 

I just don't see how it makes any sense in character. And if we're going to do things purely for out of character friendships and camaraderie, I think there are other channels for that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7