Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Vitoc is the antidote to a deadly toxin, not the poison itself?  For more information see Vitoc.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: A little less psychic predictions, please?  (Read 10701 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
A little less psychic predictions, please?
« on: 20 May 2013, 20:24 »

I think it's really immersion breaking to have everybody assuming Yanala is dead and gone for good because of the chronicle. You people do realize that the tea is not ALWAYS fatal, right? She could have a soft clone, she could have survived it, she could be a giant deus ex machina.

I'm not trying to say any of you are doing it wrong, but rather trying to suggest that perhaps we should go with the flow of the story as it is delivered IC, not OOC. So far, there's no IC reason to just assume she's dead.

Grideris

• Wetgraver
  • Keeper of the bowl of Infinite Popcorn
Re: A little less psychic predictions, please?
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2013, 20:52 »

+1. It's kind of facepalm-worthy seeing all these people jumping on the death train.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2013, 20:52 »

This happens every time there's content released that our characters wouldn't have access to. This is far from a unique occurrence.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2013, 21:05 »

I think it would have been nice to have stated in the Chronicle what was publicly known about Yanala's death. Always there's this balancing act with PF Chrons as we try and work out what is publicly known, what is known if you throw a little money at finding out and what is 'holy of holies' 'sub-rosa' classified.

I know I screwed up talking about Yanala's death to Tatiana at one point because I sort of assumed that they'd have publicised her death as a suicide without mentioning it was ordered.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2013, 21:12 »

This happens every time there's content released that our characters wouldn't have access to. This is far from a unique occurrence.

I think it would have been nice to have stated in the Chronicle what was publicly known about Yanala's death. Always there's this balancing act with PF Chrons as we try and work out what is publicly known, what is known if you throw a little money at finding out and what is 'holy of holies' 'sub-rosa' classified.

It would make life so much easier, but I'm fairly certain Abraxas is on record for being in favor of "if you can read it, its knowable to you" school of thought. Certain chronicles, like Uplifted, wall-bang months of previous story work in a heart beat ; _ :

An easier way to integrate people's immersion breaking assumptions is to argue the counter point faithfully. It can certainly make for some interesting conversation.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2013, 21:44 »

I like dramatic irony. I wish more people did.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2013, 22:09 »

You people are doing it wrong.

The seeping bitterness tastes sweet.

But I feel you Kat, I really do - and without any sarcasm. This sort of "metapsychic" that tends to plague the EVE RP scene is why I stopped blogging ICly on Vince. I noticed people doing this not only with released chronicles but also with character blog some of these people were considered the better end of EVE RP folks.

Anyhow I digresss. This is just one blip among many and it will never change, people do it for what ever various reasons, which among one is  to feel like 'winning' the game. Only real solution to this is roll with it and HTFU, unfortunately.

Just remember;

« Last Edit: 21 May 2013, 13:53 by Vincent Pryce »

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2013, 22:32 »

Easy to fix. CCP just needs to give IC sources for any chronicle or anything like that which they publish. It would slightly crimp some creative style, but vastly improve the usage of their material in game.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2013, 22:41 »

It was brought up as an issue at one of the panels at Fanfest, and was interpreted as "we'd like you guys to be RP police kthx" and did not get a positive response as a result.

I care as little for it as the next person but there's not much we can do short of calling people conspiracy theorists. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2013, 23:19 »

It happens all the time, and the derp is strong.

There was the one linking the ooc chronicle IC in the IGS if i recall too? "SEE SHES DEAD"

*facepalm*

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2013, 23:31 »

It happens all the time, and the derp is strong.

There was the one linking the ooc chronicle IC in the IGS if i recall too? "SEE SHES DEAD"

*facepalm*

Yeah. I reported that one.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2013, 23:33 »

It was brought up as an issue at one of the panels at Fanfest, and was interpreted as "we'd like you guys to be RP police kthx" and did not get a positive response as a result.

It was brought up last year as well to Abraxas, who said he wasn't interested in limiting his storytelling tools that much, nor was he interested in unreliable narrators all that much (since keeping track of what the PF says without having to account for whether it was supposed to be true or not is already too much work).

Delegate Zero seemed more receptive to the idea of unreliable narrators as a tool of fiction, but was called away before I could discuss it more with him.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2013, 23:35 »

I want to know how the hell Heth got away with murdering a war hero in front of witnesses for THIS long. There are so many people who would have known that she'd been successfully recovered from her clone bay - especially since her heinous offence, not firing the Oblivion at Home, wouldn't have been known until  AFTER she'd emerged from the vat.

Vikarion

« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2013, 01:08 »

Perpetual defection is the only strategy left when tit-for-tat is not an option.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2013, 01:12 »

The problem with this sort of thing is, if there's a conclusion that it's perfectly to normal, if a bit bold, to draw, but is established to be true by an OOC source... It's then kind of impossible to roleplay your character having come to that conclusion organically, even if they would have without the information. Since people will assume your godmoding.

Then again, some people do have characters that always have to right, which is kinda annoying.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7