Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Scagga once lost 800,000,000 isk in one night due to his gambling problem?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Norrin's removed post from the thread about taking over characters  (Read 9032 times)

Niraia

• Clonejack

Stop it, you're posting wrong :(

Anslol

Lasa I think Morwen's referring to the change in discussion, not your thread. Don't read so much into things. Not everyone is out to get you.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette

Lasa I think Morwen's referring to the change in discussion, not your thread. Don't read so much into things. Not everyone is out to get you.

Oh shush, Anslo. Not everyone is as special as you. She could be more specific.  :roll: May I have my thread locked now?

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

I notice that noone suggested you weren't allowed to ask questions - and indeed moderators have responded to your questions and answered them in this thread. Kindly avoid putting words into people's mouths, as it doesn't tend to lead anywhere good.

Morwen was, I believe, referring to threads that result from lack of clear explanation of the rationale for moderation (like just posting 'this post is Unworthy' would be). So, something that is the fault of the moderators, rather than the posters.

Lyn Farel

As stated in my report, I took it exactly like Lasa did, so it might not be something isolated. It may have been a mistake of form, but it remains offensive and your doing it wrong to my eyes.

Edit : "unecessary threads like this" is explicit enough in my book. You can twist it as much as you want, I fail to see how to read it otherwise.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette

Well, either way, it didn't come across like that to me. Can you please just remove this thread? I think I have my answer now.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

As stated in my report, I took it exactly like Lasa did, so it might not be something isolated. It may have been a mistake of form, but it remains offensive and your doing it wrong to my eyes.

Edit : "unecessary threads like this" is explicit enough in my book. You can twist it as much as you want, I fail to see how to read it otherwise.

I notice that a) There is a 'usually' there, and b) It isn't twisting it to point out that the context was the suggestion that we would use an almost perfectly unhelpful moderator comment in threads. Threads in Moderator discussion are often unnecessary in the sense that had the moderator more clearly explained why a post or thread was being moderated in the first place, people wouldn't need to ask. For example, in this case, I went with a very short explanation, and it clearly wasn't sufficient. 

Generally speaking, treating a portion of a sentence as standing apart from the context of the rest of the sentence (much less the rest of the discussion) will net you many more offensive comments than actually exist.

Lyn Farel

I disagree.

I could have quoted the whole sentence and it would remain the exact same conclusion for me. I do not understand the logic behind your explanation and am sorry to say it, but find it highly irrational and trying to minimize what I consider to be clearly a wrong, even if not intentional (you have the benefit of the doubt).

Usually refers to other posts, like this one. It is written like this one. I am not inventing anything. If other threads are usually unnecessary like this one, that does not change the fact that this one was deemed unnecessary.

Am I doing a mistake of english comprehension or something ?

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

I can see where you are coming from.

However, what they were discussing was specifically moderator comments in moderated threads (in this case, that it might be simply 'This thread has been found Unworthy'). Overly brief (or in that case, completely information free) moderator comments lead to threads that are 'unnecessary' in that a more detailed moderator comment initially would have meant that people would not still have questions. Given that what Morwen was commenting on was what the result of using that moderator comment on moderated posts and threads would be, I don't think that is irrational. In fact, it makes rather more sense than Morwen up and deciding to be dismissive of a thread he has already constructively commented in, I think.

I'm afraid that is the best that I can explain it, and I apologize if it still isn't clear for you.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread

Perhaps it would be helpful for the discussion to explain why the post below was not moderated, as it could still be interpreted as YDIW?
Istvaan Shogaatsu : I would make him behave with cool and less crazed. Give him some more dignity.  8) He deserves it. I lost quite a bit of respect for the character both IC and OOC after Silas' Festus.
-OOChé

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran

It was not reported?

If the moderation is mostly guided by reports it means that those that are more liked within the community or whom represent the views of the majority will get their posts less moderated.

It seems a bit off, but there is plenty of YDIW stuff out there that is not moderated just because of the person posting it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Lyn Farel

I can see where you are coming from.

However, what they were discussing was specifically moderator comments in moderated threads (in this case, that it might be simply 'This thread has been found Unworthy'). Overly brief (or in that case, completely information free) moderator comments lead to threads that are 'unnecessary' in that a more detailed moderator comment initially would have meant that people would not still have questions. Given that what Morwen was commenting on was what the result of using that moderator comment on moderated posts and threads would be, I don't think that is irrational. In fact, it makes rather more sense than Morwen up and deciding to be dismissive of a thread he has already constructively commented in, I think.

I'm afraid that is the best that I can explain it, and I apologize if it still isn't clear for you.

I have to admit I have a difficult time following you, but my issue is not that Morwen was thinking something else and did a mistake unconsciously, my issue is that it is not moderated, period. Anybody else would have been for less than that.

My issue is that once again, members of the mod team seem to defend each other, when they actually do a very nice and decent job for everyone else breaking the rules.

I find it even more funny to read that specific post just after my post on selective ethics. :bash:

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

I wouldn't have moderated anyone else for making the same post, but given he was talking about an issue specific to moderators, I'm not sure anyone else would have made the post anyway?

EditEdit: Edited out something that should be handled through PM.

Edit2: Also, I'm not suggesting that in this case Morwen made a mistake. I think Morwen's post is fine. I understand why you might read it the way you read it, but I think you are immediately going to the most negative possible interpretation.
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2013, 18:35 by Silver Night »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

It was not reported?

If the moderation is mostly guided by reports it means that those that are more liked within the community or whom represent the views of the majority will get their posts less moderated.

It seems a bit off, but there is plenty of YDIW stuff out there that is not moderated just because of the person posting it.

afaik, reporting is anonymous.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

Perhaps it would be helpful for the discussion to explain why the post below was not moderated, as it could still be interpreted as YDIW?
Istvaan Shogaatsu : I would make him behave with cool and less crazed. Give him some more dignity.  8) He deserves it. I lost quite a bit of respect for the character both IC and OOC after Silas' Festus.

I didn't see it, and that post would indeed probably qualify for moderation. We don't see every single post, or when we do we might not read closely enough to realize it needs moderation.

Edit: Katrina: Reports have the reporter's name attached, along with their comment. That being said, the only people who see it are Mods, and we have rules against telling anyone who reports what. Similarly, we don't disclose who gets warnings or bans in most situations. The exception is when someone brings it up themselves.

Edit2: Lallara, I would encourage you to use the report button if you see a YDIW post that isn't moderated. The thing about reports is that except in particularly egregious cases, we generally only get 1 report - maybe 2 - for any given post. So it isn't like 'Oh, this post has 15 reports, better look at it'. It's more like, 'Oh, this post has a report, better look at it'. It doesn't matter if the reporter or reportee is 'liked' or 'in the majority'.
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2013, 17:27 by Silver Night »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5