Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front's "rampant griffin" corp logo was adopted after the pro-Federation corp The Durandal Organization created a logo using motifs similar to the ILF's original logo?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Norrin's removed post from the thread about taking over characters  (Read 9048 times)

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran

I think, especially given how Norrin worded his post, by implying that everyone "aligned with some faction / ideology" does not "behave accordingly" is, in fact quite a loud 'doinitrong' and a quite one-dimensional one and unwarranted at that. I agree with Silver there.

It is loud, and I think it is warranted. For instance (Leo had a quote about this and I wish I could find it, but...) I'm a Matari. I'm very anti-slavery. My best friend is an Angel Cartel pirate, yesterday I went to a party hosted by PIE, but I'm still dead set against slavery.

NOTE: The above example is in no way directed at anyone. It's just what I remember from what Leo said. His version was much funnier btw.

What I'm getting at with the example though is that said character doesn't make much sense. As lallara said its a case of people wanting to eat their cake and keep it too.

Now, why can't someone portray a character that makes no sense? vOv Actually, I'd venture the claim that most people IRL don't always make sense. The guy who is really okay with homosexuality - really, he is! - but who wouldn't touch a gay with an 20 inch pole? Often seen, not rational, but very realistic.

A character concept doesn't have to conform to logics and make rational sense, because people can be and oftentimes are illogical and irrational beings. vOv

If you have a problem with that, it's not solved by trying to dictate to people that they have to portray their chars as making sense logically and rationally, nor by telling them that they are 'doinitrong' if they don't.

Tl;Dr: It makes sense to portray characters that don't always make sense.
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2013, 12:08 by Nicoletta Mithra »

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran

There would be plenty to discuss with perceived flaws in the RP community, things that irk people and finding will to change things, if possible.

But these forums are not the place for it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Anslol

Because then it just turns into a big point and laugh fest while discrediting someone's RP for how it's wrong or flawed or something.

Sure there's some situations (i.e. god modding) where saying something can't be avoided, but to try to say something along the lines of "State loyal characters should NOT be friends with ANY Gallente" is the way to induce stagnation into player drive content and emerging lore and stories and some potentially really interesting arcs.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran

I would probably phrase it as 'Those Caldari that has been raised in the school system and the traditional culture of the State will probably find it hard to find any common ground with anyone of a similar background that has been raised within the Federation.'

I fail to see how it would cause stagnation.

I would perceive clear lines drawn in the sand as something that you could gather behind and use it as something to snowball into critical mass for wardecs on those that you would perceive as your ideological opposition.

Which would spur internal RP of the groups in question and external conflict of the groups on public venues like IGS which would most likely lead to more activity in space.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

This thread isn't really here for discussion of whether you think Norrin was right or not. Ultimately that isn't actually relevant to his being moderated - and I have with some frequency moderated people who I thought were right.

This is a thread about why Norrin's post broke the rules. Which it did with it's passive-aggressive YDIW content.

I think there is some confusion here about the difference between what can be discussed, and how things can be discussed. Norrin's post was moderated because of the how rather than the what.

To quote a couple of bits from the FAQ:

It is not a place for telling other people they are 'doing it wrong".

Q: But they ARE wrong! On the internet!
A: Disagreeing with you doesn't make them wrong. Sometimes people do make errors of fact, but its possible to point that out without asshattery. For example, if Joe Bloggs says that Fedos are kept by the Amarr to hunt down escaped slaves, you might say: "I got a different impression from here." and link to the EVO Chron. Also, remember how big the EVE Cluster is. Someone has a different approach to something that the PF is silent on? Think about the difference between Fiji and Siberia, and how many cultures there are on this one planet. Now multiply that by every planet in every system in every constellation in every ... you get the picture.

Q: So you want us to act all lovey-dovey?
A: Yes. Deal with it.

Q: Doesn't being polite to people I disagree with make me a hypocrite?
A: No. It makes you a grown-up.

Q: What about free and frank debate?
A: Strange as it may seem, given some of the forums on the internet, but it is possible to have an honest exchange of views without being rude, hostile, offensive, aggressive or bullying. That kind of behaviour destroys communities, virtual and otherwise, and Will Not Be Tolerated.

Q: But I totally know more about EVE and RP than that idiot who just posted!
A: Good for you. Now demonstrate that you also know more about being a grown-up. Your personal experience in EVE and outside it can inform your opinion and provide you with examples for your position, but it doesn't magically make your opinion worth more than someone else's. There are veteran EVE players, life-long table-top gamers, expert LARPers, published authors and many others in the EVE RP community. We all bring something different to the table: so share what you bring rather than trying to use it to knock everyone else's plate to the floor.

Q: How can I tell if my post is out of line or not?
A: It's a safe bet that if you finish typing and think to yourself: "Hah! I showed HIM!" you should probably not post. Other danger signs: personal attacks on the player, including the player's style of RP (i.e. "of course you think that, you RP an Amarr"), insinuations that anyone who disagrees with you is a moron.

Q: So I can't disagree with anyone's RP?
A: Sure you can disagree. Just do it politely, I'll even venture to say nicely, and remember that they have as much right to their opinion as you have to yours. For example: Player A writes: "I see the Intaki as space hippies." Player B answers: "Of course they aren't space hippies, there are no hippies in Eve." That would be the WRONG way to answer. The RIGHT way would be something like "Really? I see the Intaki as more techno-buddhists. That's how I play my character, but hey, it's a big Cluster, right?"

Quite a bit of the FAQ is designed in part to address these very sorts of issues, in fact.

If you want to have a discussion about how you, with your characters, approach interactions with enemies, that is certainly allowed. What isn't allowed is the suggestion that because other people don't interact in what you believe to be the 'correct' way, that they are doing it wrong or that their RP isn't valid.

Posting YDIW flamebait in a thread is the wrong way to go about it.

TLDR: It doesn't matter if someone is pretending to be a Cylon, there is no special 'But they are really, really wrong!' exemption to the 'YDIW' rule. Feel free to post about your own approach without casting aspersions on other people's approaches, though.

Finally, this thread isn't the place for that discussion. So if you want to have it make your own thread. There are slightly different standards in Mod Discussion, but additional off-topic posts will be catacombed.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

Yes well, to Norrin and anyone else who doesn't like the way I have my cake and eat it too in a game I pay money every month to play - you can take those opinions and sit on them. I will very happily have Katrina fraternize with whoever I want in EVE, share a beer with them, have a chat with them, get to know the person behind the loyalties. I will do this while continuing to be a Liberal Caldari Loyalist.... and I'm not going to let you tell me I'm 'doinitrong'. Not even you, Ember.

Yes. Norrin's post can go burn in the catacombs. I agree with Silver.

Lyn Farel

Clear YDIW.

We should open a more serious thread about the issue, it would be healthier, instead of flamebaiting. If people really have an issue with that, it can be discussed by mature beings.

I have difficulties to see why we have to catacomb so many posts every week. Sanctions are too light or something ? People unable to behave more responsibly ? Is that so hard to behave according to the rules ?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

We actually had gone an entire week without anything needing to be catacombed (or, for that matter, without anything being reported by anyone for us to look at).

Nice things never last. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

I was mostly asking to myself a rhetorical question about the ethical dichotomy in that RP community.

Most people support the moderation and the reason why it is what it is. And yet a lot feel like they suddenly can break the rules when they feel it "justified" (no, it never is).

I can't comprehend that. To me that's a serious issue of selective ethics.

I'm maybe not going to get popular by stating things like this, but I don't care.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

What vaguely irritates me is neither the moderation, nor the posts that get moderated (I read FHC, backstage is unnaturally polite in comparison).

It's how every other time a post gets moderated, some people appear to go "It's not that bad! What did you do that for?!" no matter what the subject was.

Someone has reported the post, the moderators have seen it and declared it unworthy, HTFU.  :roll:

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

Well, if we didn't want people to be able to discuss moderation, we wouldn't have a section for it. Sometimes things aren't that clear, and it helps we can clarify them. Also, if someone doesn't understand why they were moderated, we want to make sure they know so they won't do the same thing in the future (or alternately so that when they do do the same thing, they can't say they didn't know).

That being said, I may notate every moderation action I take from now on with just:

[mod]The post has been found Unworthy.[/mod]

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

I would love you forever if you do.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

I would love you forever if you do.

I would not, because it would result in more (usually) unnecessary threads like this.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette

Thanks much for declaring my thread "unnecessary" Morwen. It makes you so endearing as a mod.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette

I guess I'm not allowed to ask questions. Is that the case? I'd love to know now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5