Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Rimpon, an ovoid, golden coloured fruit with a tart taste, was invented by player Matariki Rain, and has since made an appearance in a number of player-created fictions?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Erotic Roleplay  (Read 27344 times)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: Erotic Roleplay
« Reply #45 on: 08 Mar 2013, 16:38 »

So, since we're on the subject, I had a question...

A lot of people have been saying that as long as things stay private it's fine... but has anyone ever had another character walk in on them by accident? Like things start to get hot and heavy in a semi-private channel... then someone else logs in, has their character make an entrance and OH HEY!

I cant tell you how many times youve almost walked in on me and Mitara....
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #46 on: 08 Mar 2013, 16:44 »

DAMMIT GOTTII you clever bastard.

Remember that time Mitara almost walked in on you and I when we were playing warbrides?

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #47 on: 08 Mar 2013, 17:58 »

ERP in EVE can be creepy.

It goes against CCPs listed Terms of Service, and as such, anyone indulging in it opens themselves up to being reported. It may be a trap. Claim that someone was erping at you, in a harassment petition. That sort of thing.
"You may not use any abusive, defamatory, ethnically or racially offensive, harassing, harmful, hateful, obscene, offensive, sexually explicit, threatening or vulgar language. "
"You may not use “role-playing” as an excuse to violate these rules."

It can be used as a method of harassing players, particularly ones that are slightly more vulnerable than others, e.g. younger players, women players.

explicit chatlogs, published in order to bully and harass someone, make them give up playing that character/playing EVE altogether.

Used in public, as a method of disrupting a channel - turning people away from using a channel.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2013, 04:37 by Synthia »
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #48 on: 08 Mar 2013, 19:26 »

It can be used as a method of harassing players, particularly ones that are slightly more vulnerable than others, e.g. younger players, women players.

explicit chatlogs, published in order to bully and harass someone, make them give up playing that character/playing EVE altogether.

Used in public, as a method of disrupting a channel - turning people away from using a channel.

Key words here are, "can be." Just like many other things, it can be used to harass. That doesn't mean it's a common occurence. And this is speaking as someone who's been harrassed through it on another game (and gave up a character as a result), as I mentioned a few posts back. The vast majority of such encounters I've had before were consentual and nonharmful to either participant.

I am rather open with my character's sexuality.
Sure she gets into somewhat random romantic encounters.
Sure it happens fairly regularly.
But I like for the story to fade to black during the actual "romantic encounter" because nothing is really gained from that part of the story, the fact that these two characters had sex is the important part.

There can be character development from the actual intimate happenings. The manner in which it is conducted can be an illuminating moment that says a lot about the characters involved.

Cynthia Gallente

• Bunnies
  • Wetgraver
  • Bunnies.
« Reply #49 on: 08 Mar 2013, 20:05 »

There can be character development from the actual intimate happenings. The manner in which it is conducted can be an illuminating moment that says a lot about the characters involved.
Quite so, but i still find it kinda icky (still participate on occasion...)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #50 on: 08 Mar 2013, 20:19 »

ERP in EVE is creepy.

That's an unfortunate viewpoint you have there. I admit I had expected something a bit less... provocative, from someone like you.

It goes against CCPs listed Terms of Service, and as such, anyone indulging in it opens themselves up to being reported. It may be a trap. Claim that someone was erping at you, in a harassment petition. That sort of thing.
"You may not use any abusive, defamatory, ethnically or racially offensive, harassing, harmful, hateful, obscene, offensive, sexually explicit, threatening or vulgar language. "
"You may not use “role-playing” as an excuse to violate these rules."

As for the EULA trap, there are plenty of places and things people do in RP that could be reported. Hell, even in reality, sexual intercourse can be brought to the police with a false claim of rape, right?

If we cannot trust one another with consent because someone might stab us in the back - why should we bother interacting? Why bother trying to build a community?

In your own words: Down With That Sort Of Thing
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2013, 20:20 by Katrina Oniseki »

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #51 on: 08 Mar 2013, 20:31 »

Also, erotic does not necessarily = explicit or vulgar.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #52 on: 09 Mar 2013, 03:44 »

Key words here are, "can be." Just like many other things, it can be used to harass. That doesn't mean it's a common occurence.

People I know have had this sort of thing used against them/their corporation/chat channels. It is uncommon, but when it intrudes into your personal experience it becomes a lot harder to say "it's uncommon".

That's an unfortunate viewpoint you have there. I admit I had expected something a bit less... provocative, from someone like you.
If we cannot trust one another with consent because someone might stab us in the back - why should we bother interacting? Why bother trying to build a community?

Someone like me ?

After IC interactions with people, I have received OOC private mails or conversations, saying things such as: "you don't want to interact with them, if you do any erp with them, they're likely to put it up on their corp forums for people to laugh at". I have been informed on more than one occasion that character X is actually player Y's "cyber alt", and thus IC interactions with them are unlikely to further our corporation's goals.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #53 on: 09 Mar 2013, 04:18 »

Someone like me ?

After IC interactions with people, I have received OOC private mails or conversations, saying things such as: "you don't want to interact with them, if you do any erp with them, they're likely to put it up on their corp forums for people to laugh at". I have been informed on more than one occasion that character X is actually player Y's "cyber alt", and thus IC interactions with them are unlikely to further our corporation's goals.

The people sending you tells are the ones in the wrong, there, because they are trying to influence your in-character interactions with their out-of-character opinions. Who the player is OOCly doesn't matter, what matters is the IC interactions. People shouldn't try to OOCly dictate who other players can/should interact with ICly.

And going off of past, personal experience here, most of that backdoors mudslinging is exactly that--backdoors mudslinging with no basis in reality, spread solely to ruin that person's reputation. That is harassment. In fact, that kind of harassment is far, far more common than negative fallout from ERP encounters, and just as hurtful.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2013, 05:19 by Samira Kernher »

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
« Reply #54 on: 09 Mar 2013, 07:29 »

Someone like me ?

The people sending you tells are the ones in the wrong, there, because they are trying to influence your in-character interactions with their out-of-character opinions. Who the player is OOCly doesn't matter, what matters is the IC interactions. People shouldn't try to OOCly dictate who other players can/should interact with ICly.

And going off of past, personal experience here, most of that backdoors mudslinging is exactly that--backdoors mudslinging with no basis in reality, spread solely to ruin that person's reputation. That is harassment. In fact, that kind of harassment is far, far more common than negative fallout from ERP encounters, and just as hurtful.

+1

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #55 on: 09 Mar 2013, 08:34 »

Someone like me ?

+1 here too

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #56 on: 09 Mar 2013, 10:18 »

The only negative fallout I've had is people telling me stuff like Lasa is a slut, but that person since apologized for it.

I think the people that have issues are the ones that can't make the IC/OOC divide. Getting pissy about IC stuff OOC is silly imo.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #57 on: 09 Mar 2013, 15:06 »

I'm going to go against the crowd and disagree. Is it possible that someone is warning you not to ERP with someone else because they want to ruin their reputation? Certainly. It is possible that they're trying to save you the problems that will come with discovering that the person you decided to sleep with IC is a scumbag OOC? Certainly.

I've done that myself once or twice - convo'd or messaged someone (usually a friend) to say "Hey, that's so-and-so's alt, you don't want to sleep with them, trust me." I wasn't doing it out of malice, I was doing it because no one likes watching their friends go through the shit that OOC assholes in EVE can put you through with IC actions. I can't think of any case where the person I warned was anything but grateful.

Is it OOC information influencing IC action? Yep. Is that a Bad Thing? Usually, but in this case I don't think so. In most other RP settings, if someone does something to deliberately hurt you IC with OOC motivation, there are consequences. In EVE, there really aren't. As such, I don't have a problem using OOC info to avoid such people in the first place.

It'd be nicer if they simply didn't exist, but they do, and some of them are really nasty.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #58 on: 11 Mar 2013, 11:42 »

Ok. I've kinda been somewhat involved in of one of these things discussed on the last page. As I think the RP community is in some respects almost like a small village, I will try to talk about it without giving too much away, but if I fail, please forgive me.

I was also warned once by X about character Y and advised to not RP with it. The reason for this was that some OOC friendships of X were terminated because Y spread OOC and IC lies about X, a lot of it related to sex plotlines and/or ERP.

Now, I can fully understand someone that had this happen to him/her to want to warn people about this, but I can't just take their word for it, as it might as well be that they are telling the lies.
In the case above, I had already engaged in RP with Y. The player claimed that it was part misunderstanding, part family member "hi-jacking" the character or something.
From my position, I couldn't tell who's telling the truth. I don't like to have OOC stuff between players influence IC stuff between characters too, so I gave Y the benefit of the doubt. All I can do is keep my guard up around Y.

As far as the possiblity of publishing ERP logs on forums and laughing about them is concerned: I don't really care if that happened. I find it about as silly as laughing about sex scenes in movies and books (unless, of course, they are funny). I am not easily affected by the opinions of the immature.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2013, 11:45 by Ché Biko »
-OOChé

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #59 on: 12 Mar 2013, 11:07 »

Oh, I wasn't asserting anyone who engages in erotic roleplay thusly has a bad sex life. I was speaking personally.

To elaborate a little: if one has a hole in their life, I feel that EVE is a poor place to fill it (heh, insert penetration pun) because it is merely gratification through simulacrum. This applies not only to the topic at hand but how we treat the game and our lives in general.

I agree would be much better to find real post human sexual experience in zero G with wild eyed amarrian blood cultist heretics and make passionate love while watching colonies burn with liberating anarchic fires through the solid fields of the captains quarters...

But sometimes practicality does limit the extent of our wildest fantasies. I've met any number of fellow travellers in the universe of bdsm who have discovered that 24/7 power exchange relationships might sound extremely erotic in the minds-eye of high fantasy but one's knees do get terribly sore after the first few hours ...

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11