Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Ammatars regard themselves as the true rulers of the Minmatars? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Corp Theft - Acceptable When?  (Read 14283 times)

Grr

• Wetgraver
Corp Theft - Acceptable When?
« on: 05 May 2010, 13:30 »

I'd like to think most here feel that corp theft is unacceptable in most instances other than a genuine IC act.  No doubt there are some who may disagree and I'd love to hear their views especially.

For example somebody emptying a hanger before defecting to the enemy I would consider perfectly acceptable behaviour that you would expect anybody defecting to consider. (although I'd always consider it fairly lame OOC it has to be said) Somebody skimming the wallet or hanger supplies to pass to a cause they sympathise with could be another fine example.

For many incidents that I've felt have crossed a line from good RP to genuine disrespectful tactics I've gone as far as passing IP, email and other details around to enemy organisations for offending pilots whenever we've encountered spies or corp thieves.  On many occasions I've been only too happy to assist U'K, EM, PIE and many other organisations who agree that these tactics are not acceptable and cross referenced details with them to kill of several spies in the past.  So I know that most of the groups I deal with feel the same as myself.  However there are many others here who I have limited or no dealings with on these issues.

Let me hear your thoughts and I know it goes without saying but please keep this potentially flammable topic constructive ;)

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
Re: Corp Theft - Acceptable When?
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2010, 13:50 »

IC reasons for corp thief? Hm... that is a though one to answer, especially as corp thief is such an OoC thing to do: I move this pile from here to here and suddenly nobody than me have access to it, though it is supposedly still located within the same space station.

Could be fun if somebody actually were skimming corp funds and spend them on small arms and militants.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2010, 13:56 »

Generally, I'm fine with it when its strictly kept to in-game assets and the like.

I don't think its acceptable when you hack out of game assets like forums, TS/Vent, etc. They're two different beasts.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2010, 13:57 »

Corp theft sucks when it happens to you, but when you go and make people directors/give them roles you better really know these guys well and be prepared to lose your stuff.  

It's just how the game works I guess.  I've heard people working for several years to get trusted and respected to steal from an alliance.  Those guys are really freaking patient/hardworking spais and that's what makes EVE pretty awesome.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2010, 13:58 »

Generally, I'm fine with it when its strictly kept to in-game assets and the like.

I don't think its acceptable when you hack out of game assets like forums, TS/Vent, etc. They're two different beasts.

Yeah, I don't mind in-game shenanigans but out of game hacking of forums and 3rd party stuff is going too far. :/

Cyshade

• Clonejack
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2010, 13:59 »

Considering two different scenarios:

1) Corptheft used as a weapon (or even simply asset acquisition :P) against a hostile or neutral corporation.  

Thats always acceptable in my opinion.  

2) Emptying the hangars because you are ragequitting a corporation, due to boredom or something, tenuous IC reason or not.. 

Robbing old friends is a bit lame, but if they aren't your friends then whatever..

In response to Ghost, theres a big difference imo between "hacking" ventrilo or forums and just getting access.  Plus, it IS hilarious :D

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2010, 14:17 »

Simply put, yes. I operate on a pure "means to an end" principle.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2010, 14:17 »

Oh sure, if you're given access or someone slips up their information then that's somewhat fine.

I'm talking about actual, real hacking attempts.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2010, 14:24 »

This, with the proviso that copying out information you're given legitimately is another matter. I mean, if a spy is given a forum and voice account, then that's okay. If somebody steals a password, then it's not.

Also, only information relating to game stuff. Personal things about other players (names, addresses, deep dark personal secrets revealed to your corp mates) are just a dick move.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2010, 14:37 »

In response to Ghost, theres a big difference imo between "hacking" ventrilo or forums and just getting access.  Plus, it IS hilarious :D

So true.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2010, 16:31 »

I don't have any particular problem with it in general. It's an accepted part of the game. Personally I don't (or wouldn't) engage in it without a good IC reasoning for doing so however. EVE would be less interesting if it didn't have proper rogues like Istvaan.

It's kind of lame to use throwaway alts to steal the stuff and never implicating whoever is actually pulling the strings. As that means there aren't any real consequences (besides a bigger wallet anyway) to their actions. It's more interesting if that is avoided, but as it isn't outside of game mechanics to do so I'm not particularly bothered by it in the end. Just a lost opportunity for some storylines.

This, with the proviso that copying out information you're given legitimately is another matter. I mean, if a spy is given a forum and voice account, then that's okay. If somebody steals a password, then it's not.

Also, only information relating to game stuff. Personal things about other players (names, addresses, deep dark personal secrets revealed to your corp mates) are just a dick move.

This really fits into a different topic, spying and infiltration, not corp theft. They are tied together, but discussing the spying aspect will lead this thread away from what I think Grr was aiming to discuss.

That said, in total agreement with what Casiella said above.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2010, 18:32 »

Who gets to dictate if the corporate theft was rp motivated or not and why can't greed be roleplay?

Just curious.

Goshien

• Wetgraver
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2010, 19:26 »

I think corp theft is perfectly acceptable RP wise. The end result (if successful) leads to your character being branded a thief. The use of throwaway alts for this purpose would signify to me that you are not RPing a legitimate character and are just a douche. Using a character and keeping them afterwards shows promise, even more so if you continue to pull it off after the first time.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2010, 19:51 »

I would counter that the use of alts is perfectly in character. Capsuleers can switch bodies and take on an alter ego if so desired.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2010, 20:09 »

Or have accomplices that disappear...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6