Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Julianus Soter first stated his intention to liberate Federation space on December 4th, Year 111? See the announcement here

Author Topic: Drug addiction, mental illness and clones  (Read 3392 times)

Kazzzi

• Egger
Drug addiction, mental illness and clones
« on: 06 May 2010, 20:07 »

Does a drug addict remain addicted even after being podded and recloned? Chemical dependency does cause physical alterations of neural pathways and I figure when the cloning process is done upon death, the brain scan would include the addiction. http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Cloning

I'm just wondering because RP-wise my character's life has been spiraling out of control due to increasing chemical dependency for the past 2 years and you guys have podded me quite a few times :)

Also, what about incurable mental illness? Has medical technology eliminated all of it? If not, wouldn't cloning simply copy the illness and your new clone would still be afflicted?

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
Re: Drug addiction, mental illness and clones
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2010, 20:14 »

I do think the brain scan keeps the addiction.

It would depend on the mental illness, I think. There are some known diseases in EVE that cannot be cured by cloning because they affect the brain. [spoiler]Tibus Heth has one, for example[/spoiler]
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2010, 20:30 »

I do think the brain scan keeps the addiction.

It would depend on the mental illness, I think. There are some known diseases in EVE that cannot be cured by cloning because they affect the brain. [spoiler]Tibus Heth has one, for example[/spoiler]
Your specific reference is to an acquired disease, prior to any brain scan attempt.  Presumably, should one already have an up-to-date brain scan prior to contracting the illness, one could go to the "safe save."  At this point, if the clone and clone brain are free from the illness, the disease is gone.

As for an addiction, I agree the brain scan keeps it.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2010, 21:11 »

I have heard, although I do not know if it is PF or player-created, that vitoxin, being a retrovirus, and affecting DNA, cannot be cured by cloning except where the clone has been created from genetic samples taken before the vitoxin was administered.

In re: drug addiction, addicts of contemporary drugs of addiction talk of feeling the desire for the drug long, long after being 'clean'. I'm not aware of any studies on whether the changes to neural pathways ever 'change back' after a period without drug use (given the brain changes daily throughout life). However, I don't think it's controversial to propose that substance dependency has a psychological as well as physiological component - and that would, I would think, survive cloning unless something 'went wrong' with the brain scan to change personality in some way (IIRC the cloning company website that was put up as a promo for Eve a while ago had the likelihood of personality changes in the 'legal disclaimer).

As for mental illness, I have a vague recollection that the TCMCs were originally designed to cure mental illnesses? Can anyone remember anything about that?
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2010, 21:14 »

That's what the research was initially for, though I've not heard any specifics about what kind of mental illness specifically.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2010, 21:33 »

As for mental illness, I have a vague recollection that the TCMCs were originally designed to cure mental illnesses?

Yes, like political dissent.  8)
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2010, 08:34 »

There was a thing, in one of the epic arcs somewhere, mentioning infecting someone with a disease that would follow them from clone to clone.
\o/

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2010, 08:41 »

There was a thing, in one of the epic arcs somewhere, mentioning infecting someone with a disease that would follow them from clone to clone.
Angel Epic arc, mission "Wrath of Angels", mission debriefing:
Demense’s fate? Let’s just say that he has contracted a disease which is going to follow him from clone to clone. Eternity is not all it’s cracked up to be.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Usagi Tsukino

• Wetgraver
  • Fail RPer; Doing It Wrong.
    • Usagi's Seldom Updated Twitter Account
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2010, 03:12 »

You're also making the assumption that addiction is purely a chemical dependency and not a psychological one as well.

Of course that is a dangerous debate.  :D

edit: Ciarente said it well.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2010, 03:14 by Usagi Tsukino »

Stimulus :: Multispectacular
<3 Gurista raised, Caldari Navy trained, Bacchanalian alt. <3
Chaotic Dreams | An IC Blog Experiment

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2010, 10:57 »

You're also making the assumption that addiction is purely a chemical dependency and not a psychological one as well.

Of course that is a dangerous debate.  :D

edit: Ciarente said it well.

I'm not making this assumption at all. Of course it's psychological as well as physical. Just emphasized the physical part since by the eve wikki on cloning it seems that the chemical changes of the brain would be copied.