Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders as a faction are motivated principally by the desire to draw closer to the Red God? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Corp Theft - Acceptable When?  (Read 14265 times)

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
Re: Corp Theft - Acceptable When?
« Reply #15 on: 05 May 2010, 20:12 »

I think this is probably one of those topics where the 'line' is going to be different for different people.

For me, the OOC aspect to corp-theft as a RPer is a bit  :ugh:

Unless you have absolutely no OOC contact with your corpmates at all, at least some of the trust you're building up from them is going to be OOC as well as IC: to get to a position where you can steal from them, you're going to have to lie to them, by omission at least. The deception is not just by your character, but by you, the player.

Personally, I don't think I could do that, although I know others do, and it's part of the rich tapestry of Eve.

Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Vikarion

« Reply #16 on: 05 May 2010, 20:39 »

Anything goes, IMHO, as long as it's not illegal in RL. In game actions are in-game actions, and spying on voice comms, etc, is part of that.

That said, I don't do it myself, because I value being trusted over the occasional bit of loot.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 05 May 2010, 20:41 »

Yeah. As long as it violates neither RL law nor (more importantly) CONCORD law, it's fine.  :D
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #18 on: 05 May 2010, 21:54 »

Corp theft is the reason I play EVE (The Ubiqua Seraph story - <3 GH-SC).  Funny that I've never actually done one...

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #19 on: 05 May 2010, 21:56 »

Corp theft is the reason I play EVE (The Ubiqua Seraph story - <3 GH-SC).  Funny that I've never actually done one...

Not yet.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #20 on: 05 May 2010, 21:57 »

:yar:

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #21 on: 05 May 2010, 22:03 »

* Mizhara removes all assets from places where Du'uma Fiisi has a corphangar. Also keeps checking activity status in-game to find out when would be a good place to empty the hangars and corpquit.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #22 on: 05 May 2010, 22:24 »

We didn't give you director roles already, did we?   :eek:

Twitter

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #23 on: 05 May 2010, 22:35 »

As someone who's been the CEO of a corp that was the target of a fairly well-planned and pervasive infiltration and corp theft, I say it's acceptable when you can get away with it.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #24 on: 05 May 2010, 22:47 »

We didn't give you director roles already, did we?   :eek:

Well, Der's got full hangar access, and access to some of the corp wallet. Miz got access to some hangars. I just need to tally up how much it's worth, so I can tell whether it's profitable to grab it all and move them all into TBR and TWR.
* Mizhara shifty eyes.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 06 May 2010, 00:48 »

Never.

I would not steal in real life, why would I change that part of my moral standards for a video game.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #26 on: 06 May 2010, 00:54 »

That must be a rhetorical...or something, because I don't see a question mark, nor would I dare want to make assumptions about why you do...anything. I can tell you that not everyone wants to play the same moral standard they have in the real world. That said, playing a certain way will render its own consequence one way or another.

Vikarion

« Reply #27 on: 06 May 2010, 00:54 »

Never.

I would not steal in real life, why would I change that part of my moral standards for a video game.

Because neither you nor the person you are taking the pixels from actually own them?

To me, it comes down to the fact that it is a game, and "stealing" is part of it.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #28 on: 06 May 2010, 01:37 »

I would counter that the use of alts is perfectly in character. Capsuleers can switch bodies and take on an alter ego if so desired.

I actually don't believe in that. There is certainly no precedent for it in game mechanics. You are telling me unskilled alts deliberately lose their skills and change core attributes like memory and intelligence? Also, in most cases, the player simply continues controlling the main. I don't think they are continually switching bodies across the stars. Also, there is no chance of discovering body switches in-game.

I also dislike the incorruptible spies. The alt will never betray his main and their sharing of information is near-perfect.

Using actual spies, great. Using alt spies, not so great.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #29 on: 06 May 2010, 02:45 »

I look at it this way: if you allow into your corp someone who is willing to infiltrate an enemy and rip them off, what do you think will happen if and when they get pissed off with you?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6