Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That being a cruel slaver is actually a fitting description for Angel Cartel members as well?

Author Topic: Just Passing Through  (Read 2635 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Just Passing Through
« on: 20 Jan 2013, 23:07 »

The following is a pseudo sequel to Misjump. This story did/does not happen ingame.

Just Passing Through

I'm floating in my chaotic serenity, closing my eyes, waiting for it. My frigate didn't last long, and I can feel the excitement tickle every nerve ending across my body as I know what comes next. The sudden rush of inertia as my ovular prison is ejected into space hits me, and for a moment... I feel fear. I know what I'm doing, why I'm here... but I don't want it.

The body is programmed to fear death, they say. Something about the way we're hardwired up in the attic that makes us realize the end of our life is naturally a bad thing. After all our training, it's still something most of us can scarcely deal with. I know friends who go a little more stir crazy every time it happens. It's the little things you notice in them too. A twitch of the hand, or shiver of the eye. You know something deep down in them got seriously fucked up, and it only gets worse.

Adrenaline floods my brain as the capsule tries to warn me of an active lock. I don't bother warping out.

Yellow box.
Red box.

Suddenly, I feel cold. For an instant, everything in the world is terrible, then everything in the world is nothing. Nothing becomes everything. Logic, language, emotion, humanity, reality... it all becomes a jumbled mess of vague feelings. It's as if everything that ever made any sense to me becomes as colors are to the blind. Then I feel it, like a glowing warmth. I can't figure out if it's around me or within me. I can't figure out where it is... but I recognize the feeling. I know that feeling. I try as hard as I can to stay there... to stay in between. I want to know so badly, I need to know. Like weights around my ankles, I can feel reality pulling me back.

I can taste my own tongue. It tastes weird. I hate new clones. The muffled voices start to take shape... they start to make sense. Noises become patterns, patterns become words, words become speech. Flashes of color and light make sense to me now as vision, and as I begin to grow weary of the whole world shaking around me and that dreadful sound... I realize it's me. I'm convulsing and screaming so hard I choke on the lack of air. Welcome back to the living, they say.

I didn't want to come back.

See, you mistake me now... you think I'm suicidal. No, I'm not suicidal. Well, technically I am I suppose. I am getting myself killed, but it's for a reason. It's not that I want to die, and it isn't so much that I don't want to come back. It's for that split moment, where the world becomes something I've left behind. It's that very place the rest of you refuse to acknowledge exists. There's something in between, you see... between one life and the next. If you told me it's Heaven, I'd laugh until I cry. It's not Heaven or Hell. I wish I could explain it to you, but it's something that our languages just don't have the words for. You think I'm crazy, but did you really think there is absolutely nothing in between?

I'm going back.

She's out there still. She's alive. For those precious moments of non-existence where I become little more than an idea, I can feel her.

I wonder if she knows who I am. I wonder if she feels the same way I do out there. Maybe she's become something else entirely. Maybe every time I cross that bridge, I leave a part of me behind to stay with her. I think I would like that. I think she would like that.

So as I clear the docking rings again in this pitiful eggshell of a starship, I know what I have to do. She wouldn't want me to stop trying. She wouldn't want to be stuck out there alone.

So I'll keep looking in the space between spaces.

When they ask me why I do it, why I go there every time... I know what I'll say.

I'll tell them, "I'm just passing through."

« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2013, 23:38 by Katrina Oniseki »

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
Re: Just Passing Through
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2013, 00:04 »

I loved it. Much more than Misjump actually. It really transmits the demented way in which capsuleers deal with things such as the loss of a loved one, death, and in general the way in which we try to grant life some sort of meaning.

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2013, 01:11 »

*drowns in awesome*

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2013, 06:15 »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2013, 06:55 »

Can we be certain that Herko hasn't taken over Kat through mindmeld or some sort of mind ray?

No matter. Kat is made of win and awesome.
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2013, 12:38 »

Who is Herko?

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2013, 14:04 »

The Taleweaver.
[spoiler]Edit: And in case all haven't heard by now, contrary to rumours he is neither working at CCP or dead. Can't remember the issue, but EON tracked down Herko's player and interviewed him some time ago.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2013, 14:07 by Mithfindel »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2013, 14:14 »

you need to FUCKING STOP making excellent stuff.

It makes the rest of us feel incompetent and of lesser worth...

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2013, 18:45 »

Wow....just wow.  :cube:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2013, 02:52 »

The Taleweaver.
[spoiler]Edit: And in case all haven't heard by now, contrary to rumours he is neither working at CCP or dead. Can't remember the issue, but EON tracked down Herko's player and interviewed him some time ago.[/spoiler]

Glad to know he isn't dead :P

Though too bad he doesn't play anymore.

Also, awesome stuff Kat. Your recent output has been extremely impressive!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2013, 08:16 »

This has been easily my favourite of your Katchronicles.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2013, 16:57 »

And on a completely tangential note, Just Passing Through is the name of a Culture cruise ship in the novel Excession.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.