Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Frentix exists in a diluted version called Frenetix?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Misjump  (Read 3854 times)

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
Misjump
« on: 15 Jan 2013, 01:04 »

Misjump

Hundreds of millions of stargate and cyno jumps are made every day. It's inevitable that, eventually, human and mechanical error take their toll on a small number of them. While safety and reliability of these technologies are higher than ever, sometimes accidents still happen. More often than not, when they do, it results in a disabled starship... or sometimes even a spectacular fireball in the night sky.

Every once in a while however, it's an eerie nod to horror stories of old that are proven true. Sometimes, a ship goes in... and never comes back out.

Deep in the Mordu's Legion territory of Pure Blind, many stargates have fallen into disrepair. This is not something unique to Pure Blind. Throughout all of nullsec roaming pirates and capsuleer warlords are on the rise, with repair crews and renovations few and far between for these ageing gates. Yet at the same time, these gates see more use than they ever did before the rise of capsuleers. For one particular stargate, the combination of neglect and overuse has set in motion a terrible chain of events.

A Proteus cruiser slices through the blackness of space at breakneck speed. Rushing from stargate to stargate like a messenger on a mission, it's hurrying fast and deep back into high-security space. The cloaking device deep within its core thrums with latent energies as the vessel is protected from prying eyes of roaming gangs and pirates. Over the FTL comms network, two women speak...

"Yeah, I thought she was a bit rough around the edges, myself. I dunno. I'm just glad to be home soon.", says a Civire-Intaki woman over the intercom.

A blonde Deteis replies with a warm grin on her face, "You'd better be! We have a lot to catch up on, and Spot misses you something fierce. How long will you be?"

"Another twenty jumps or so. Shouldn't be more than an hour. Oh, did you get the box I sent?"

"Yes dear. I'm wearing it.", the blonde smiles and lifts up a thin silver necklace with some sort of locket attached.

"Hmm. I can't really see it well from here... I think I need to get closer.."

"Simca! Just hurry up, alright?"

"You know it, babe. I love you. I'll.... shi--"

These are the last recorded words of Simca Develon, speaking to her fiance Katrina. For reasons that may never be discovered, the cloaking device on the Proteus failed to disengage before the stargate activated. For reasons that may never be explained, the stargate jumped the ship anyways.

CONCORD is still investigating under tight security. After days of exhaustive investigation, they have only determined that the stargate failed to double check the safety status of the jump-requesting ship, and spun the miniature wormhole around the vessel anyways. Whether by stroke of bad luck, or some as yet unknown cause of conflicting technologies.... Simca Develon never emerged from the other side of that stargate.

Far off on the other side of the cluster, one Deteis woman has little reason to think her life is about to be turned upside down.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Misjump
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2013, 01:07 »

Confirming that this is legit, and explains what happened to Simca.

Kat already knows (and has known for a few days now). There will be no public announcements on the IGS, but those who do a bit of sleuthing can reasonably be expected to know about it via baseline media outlets.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2013, 02:05 »

Ouch.

>_<
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2013, 11:06 »

So if she comes back later, she can just say the gate "spat her out as normal and why is everyone making a fuss :l" ?

;)

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Jev North

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2013, 11:11 »

So if she comes back later, she can just say the gate "spat her out as normal and why is everyone making a fuss :l" ?

;)
Alternatively, this.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2013, 11:31 »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2013, 12:01 »

;)

Wait, how long have I been gone?

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2013, 15:13 »

;)

Wait, how long have I been gone?

Did that myself with old-Seph, it's a great door out precisely because it can actually lead back in. As for the story, it was nice, I liked it, though maybe a bit cold and unpassionate for such a moment, no?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2013, 16:50 »

As for the story, it was nice, I liked it, though maybe a bit cold and unpassionate for such a moment, no?

All the passion for the loss is expressed ingame through actual RP, rather than spilling it out here on the forums. though if there is enough demand, I could write a short piece of Katrina's thoughts.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2013, 19:27 »

I applaud that, but not necessarily one thing doesn't go with the other. I was just referring to this story in its context, as if it were something independant from the game and other possible stories. Just found it surprising, that's all. :)

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2013, 08:36 »

The option to come back isn't the best part about employing such an exit strategy.

The best part, is the option to come back all weird.

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2013, 08:47 »

:(

Noooooo!

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2013, 10:29 »

The option to come back isn't the best part about employing such an exit strategy.

+1, would +1 again.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2013, 11:42 »

Where we're going, you won't need eyes to see...

The funny thing is that Saede had a prior fear of something like this happening to her, based on that old chronicle with the ship that gets lost in the stargate. This is not at all going to help that.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2013, 15:41 »

Man, you would not like my character history.

T̵her̡e̶'͝s͜ a ͘r͏ea͝s̕on̨ ̸ev̕e͡ry͡t͜h̢i͘ng ̕go̴es jus͜t riģht͏ ͟f͏or ͞Is̴t͠v̢a͝an ͝S͜ho͠g̶àa̷ts̨u̵..̸.̷
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2013, 15:44 by hellgremlin »
Pages: [1] 2