Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hubert Caissor was a Gallentean senator who, along with his entire family and personal wealth, disappeared aboard the starship Peralles while jumping from the Dom-Aphis system to Iderion.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Other MMOGs  (Read 11614 times)

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
Re: Other MMOGs
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2010, 05:55 »

Currently playing WoW next to EVE. Love both for their unique qualities. Took some breaks though, tried AoC and Aion, the first being an utter failure cascade and the second just didn't do it for me despite all the awesome it had. Might revisit it in the future.

Also played some LotrO, which I really loved, but the combined factor of real life friends playing WoW + LotrO being less friendly for casuals than WoW (dungeons taking a damn age) had me give up on it. Another mmo worth a revisit though, if only because it is the only mmo next to EVE where I've seen RP work. Well, maybe the early days of WoW too, but not any longer.

Used to play Ragnarok Online on private servers ages ago because parents didn't feel like paying for monthly subscriptions, and have played a few MUDs called Achaea and Lusternia. While I really liked the MUD scene even though I only got into it after WoW was already released, both were small and felt much like a circlejerk of developers + longtime players. That and I never got a good MUD client + trigger system.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2010, 08:04 »

I've been hopping around FtP games since I'm broke and bored.   Aika is the current one, it's sedating my PvP fix.  For now. O:

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #17 on: 02 May 2010, 09:43 »

I'd love to get into a decent and active fantasy MMO, but I so far haven't been able to find anything to my tastes. EVE was the firs tone I played and seems to have set the standard  :P

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #18 on: 02 May 2010, 13:02 »

I wouldn't terribly mind a 'grind 'n' gear' MMO for casual-type play, but I hate the whole fantasy genre and aesthetic so much, it's ridiculous.

I've long hoped for a scifi-styled game with Diablo (roguelike) gameplay. Any recommendations?

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 02 May 2010, 14:35 »

Eve was my first MMO.

I played Alganon for about a week (the trial) and kept yelling at the screen.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T SELL THAT McGUFFIN?

WHAT DO  YOU MEAN I CAN'T HIT THAT OTHER PLAYER?

and so on...

and so I didn't bother giving them money

Eve is it. Not sure I'll be here forever, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to play in a game like WoW.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #20 on: 02 May 2010, 21:29 »

The only MMO I play beside EVE right now is WoW. Bleh, but my you doesn't like internet spaceships.

Not a MMO, but you can find me online playing and admining on my clan's server in Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. I usually run around with the name Sivana, Auntie Social, or Jennycide if I'm not impersonating a bot for teh lulz.

I first started playing MMOs with SWG for my gateway drug as Sivana the dancer/pistoleer until NGE made it Sivana the spy and an entertainer named Vaan'wu. It's where I met Casi, and why we always have to yell, "Nar Shaddaa represent!", at each other. I even named my Crow for my "family" there, Tactics in Motion.

I'm looking forward to trying The Old Republic.
Will work for pretty sig.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 02 May 2010, 22:35 »

SWTOR for REALZ.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #22 on: 02 May 2010, 23:23 »

I've played Ryzom. Prolly gonna come back to that eventually. It was some good shit.

I played AoC for a while. That game had potential and pissed it away. The roleplay community on my server was alternatively either gold or squeezing wedges of lime into my fucking eyes. Might go back and try the PvE servers.

Played a bunch of other shit. NWN2 servers had some half-decent roleplay, adaptations of Fallout like Fallout Online were interesting, old Ultima Online servers were a lark for a week or three. I've read about, investigated, or done the trial on upwards of two hundred MMOs, mostly free to play stuff and mostly not doin' the trial. Not WoW, though. Fuck WoW.

I am a fan of the stuff Three Rings churns out, though I'll be waiting for something nice to come out of Whirled before getting in too deep; I hope to find or run a nice server for SWGEMU once they get in-space combat up and running, and I want my Black Prophecy and Jumpgate: Evolution now plox.

Otherwise I play Dorf Fortress, Crusader Kings, Mount & Blade, and sowan. Been thinking of doing another Planescape: Torment run-through, or trying out Freespace 2: SCP or something. Maybe finding or modifying a nice sci-fi 4x gaem.

Oh, and KoL was fun for a while.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #23 on: 03 May 2010, 02:30 »

I have yet to see an MMO that looks even vaguely interesting.

OK. Not true. Love looked interesting, but I didn't feel any compulsion to actually play it. APB looks like it might have some potential.

The wait for someone to produce something that can hold a candle to EVE is proving to be a long one. I am heartily sick of the creative bankruptcy that peddles disgusting WoW clones and derivative bullshit over and over again. Bitches need to grow a pair and make something good.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 May 2010, 04:18 »

I play no other MMO's. EVE is enough of a timesink.

However I have been playing a fair amount of Borderlands recently. I have also just bought the Left 4 Dead games and have quite liked the original Dawn of War series (I have everything except Soulstorm).

I am also an occasional Team Fortress 2 payer, where I tend to get typecast as a Heavy because I look like one in RL. Oh yes, and I was a major Unreal Tournament & Tribes 2 junkie back in the day.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 03 May 2010, 06:45 »

Fallen Earth: Bitchin' universe. Wicked gameplay and stories. Again, didn't have time, sadly. A lot of potential

They have done wonderful things with it since it went live. I played during the public beta and was not impressed. Then picked up the free trial a few weeks ago. Still subbed to it, but my time is limited and I don't play it as much anymore, but it's a lot better, and astonishingly for an MMO is getting better every patch.

Also I play DDO since it became free to play.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #26 on: 03 May 2010, 06:46 »

Oh, and I preordered this little gem that no one has probably heard of.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 03 May 2010, 07:06 »

I am also an occasional Team Fortress 2 payer, where I tend to get typecast as a Heavy because I look like one in RL.

People typecast you in a game because of how you look IRL? That seems, um, odd...

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 May 2010, 07:53 »

I am also an occasional Team Fortress 2 payer, where I tend to get typecast as a Heavy because I look like one in RL.

People typecast you in a game because of how you look IRL? That seems, um, odd...

I tend to play it with a bunch of friends that I know in RL. It's a bit of an in-joke.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #29 on: 04 May 2010, 08:58 »

I've dabbled with Age of Conan, WoW, Warhammer, Pirates of the Burning Sea and Everquest, but didn't stay for more than a couple of months in any of them.

Eve was my first MMO, and I guess that it set the bar quite high.

One game that I did try a couple of years ago and still play from time to time is City of Heroes (and Villains), which is some good light relief from the serious business of internet spaceships.

I also have high hopes for Earthrise, assuming that it turns out to be more than vapourware.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2010, 09:02 by Rodj Blake »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5