Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

a demonstration by the pro-cloning group Imperial Immortality Foundation was attacked by the Imperial Army using nanotoxin in YC106, resulting in numerous fatalities.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Other MMOGs  (Read 11613 times)

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
Re: Other MMOGs
« Reply #30 on: 04 May 2010, 11:37 »

MMOs then.

PotBS - Did a couple of months as a Privateer for the British on Roberts. Was damn good fun, even if AvCom was dire. Abused the stupidly hard combat dungeon (Fort de Leza or whatever it was) when the combat changes came about, making it possible to run it solo rather than as a mandatory six man group.

AoC - Again, a couple of months, still subbed mind. Conqueror, Hyrkania server. RP was hit and miss as Ashar said, although I had some good times. Fingers crossed when I get my net connection sorted out I'll go back there for Godslayer.

Aion - GRINDAN GAEMS. Fun(ish) but grindan.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #31 on: 04 May 2010, 11:43 »

I played PotBS a bit in beta. Seemed nice, just didn't really grab me for some reason. I detect some echoes of a similar design philosophy in Tyrannis, though, in comparison with the economic model there.

Shae Tiann

• Sweet little bad girl
  • Egger
    • Sweet Little Bad Girl
« Reply #32 on: 04 May 2010, 13:11 »

I used to play City of Heroes/City of Villains, mostly teamed up with my bf running a character at the same level - hell, we were levelling up at the same moments in fights, it was awesome. Sort of a way to get together when we didn't have time for a RL date, and it was a hell of a lot of fun. He stopped playing so much when the latest Total War came out, and I just unsubbed a few months ago because I wasn't playing much, either.

But I know it's there if I ever want to levitate people and throw cars at them.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #33 on: 04 May 2010, 13:12 »

But I know it's there if I ever want to levitate people and throw cars at them.

I call that "Thursday". >.>

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #34 on: 12 May 2010, 17:37 »

Alright, here we go in chronological order. <deep breath>

Asheron's Call 2, 7 months
Everquest, 6 months
City of Heroes, 7 months
Ragnarok Online, maybe 2.5 months (I know it barely counts, don't look at me like that)
World of Warcraft, six years
Warhammer Online, one week (most cutting disappointment of my life)
Age of Conan, two months (awesome concept, mediocre game)
Aion, one month (see above)

And like, 10 free mmos from Korea that weren't even worth that monthly fee.

... I had a girlfriend once, I swear. >>
« Last Edit: 12 May 2010, 17:43 by Senn Typhos »
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 12 May 2010, 17:48 »

AvCom was dire. Abused the stupidly hard combat dungeon (Fort de Leza or whatever it was

As a mention I used to solo that group pretty easily. The solution was to use a Rapier. ;)

My problem with PotBS was that the ships' movement broke all physical laws.

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #36 on: 14 May 2010, 09:33 »

Oh dear...

At least a few other people still play WoW so I don't look so dumb...

The RP died... my guild changed it's rules, and banned marriage.  Trickle down from that lead to my paladin's fiance leaving her and hiring an assassian to off her and the RP became such a mess that it killed the joy of playing her.  After all, even a overly religious nut needs to be loved.  Plus I can't talk to my enemies if their horde and I can't kill them if their Alliance, so it just got to be frustrating emote wars from hell and I gave up.

I still log in like twice a month to do a heroic or two or whatnot to humor my husband.  I get bored quickly with humoring him in anything, WoW or otherwise.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 14 May 2010, 09:44 »

Wait. Your guild banned marriage? WTF?

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #38 on: 14 May 2010, 11:32 »

I really believe there's only time enough for one MMO game in anybody's life.  How some of you are keeping up with multiple games at the same time I can't imagine, but my hat is off to you.  I started playing MUDs (Gemstone 3, DragonRealms, and some thing called Federation on AOL) a long while back and was in Asheron's Call for about a year.  Tested the waters in EQ for a week or so back when it occupied the pop culture throne that is now WoW's.  After that I avoided MMOGs like the plague until the day I wrapped up a huge effort at work and finally decided to check out that spaceship MMO with the big fleets and dark atmosphere...

EVE, the only MMO for me.

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #39 on: 14 May 2010, 21:42 »

Wait. Your guild banned marriage? WTF?

To clarify: My guild was a very heavy RP guild that was a religious "cult" that followed the writing of some made up saint.  They believed love was getting in the way of duty and they had seen too many couples fall the way of the heretic.  I at the time was the captain of the Honor Guard, effectively just barely below being a director in Eve and in charge of training the new inductees and such.  I was also a very popular raid lead in a raiding community known as Leftovers - the group actually made it in a gaming magazine at one point.

As far as two MMO's at once go...  I tend to only play one at a time, I just keep subbing WoW at this point to do the once or twice a week heroic with the hubby to humor him... and I don't even do that anymore.  Or really near as much Eve as I used too... baby demands loves.

deMangler

• Clonejack
« Reply #40 on: 01 Sep 2010, 08:35 »

Tried to get into loads of MUD's anf MMORPG's,
The only one that has stood the test of time has been Geas.
It is a little known gem. A uniquely immersive and fun RP MUD.
The system, in terms of the skills progression, combat, crafting, etc etc has been pretty much perfected over the years and is still being developed.
Also, the community is great. I keep going back.

IC -: LS-RP
-------------------
OOC -:

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #41 on: 01 Sep 2010, 15:54 »

I cant play more than MMO at a time, work and RL gets in the way.

Past experience though:
-Planetside
-WoW (hated it)

However, when i'm "tired" of eve, i go and blast some orbitals and do fun stuff with Battlefiedl2142.

One MMO that i am hoping to test when it gets released in JumpGate evolution, latest devblogs from netdevil have sparked my interest quite a bit.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 01 Sep 2010, 16:09 »

Funny thing, I'm playing WoW these days. Not because the game itself drew me in, but because a lot of RL friends play, including work mates and one of my brothers. I wanted to play with them, and so we do some very very casual stuff (bit of questing, mostly running random dungeons).

One of my buddies at work summed it up pretty well. WoW is like golf: the game itself may be the worst thing ever, but half the experience is the social side, and that's pretty good.

(They can't HTFU enough to play EVE. :( )

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #43 on: 01 Sep 2010, 17:37 »

I could never play more than one MMO. I dabbled with a few before I settled on EVE. I was going to hold out for DC Universe Online, but a mate got me into EVE.

Since then, that's my game. I couldn't play two MMOs at the same time. One of the would really suffer.

I mean, I pretty much stopped playing EVE to play Dragon Age (Played it through 3 times), and then again to play Mass Effect 2, so when I'm playing a game, I concentrate on that, rather than dabbling around with a bunch of things.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #44 on: 02 Sep 2010, 06:12 »

Waiting for Cataclysm to get back into WoW. It's not the awesome-sauce Eve once seemed to be, but it is definitely not as bad as the raving haters would make you out to believe. It's the best game of it's kind, for sure.

Currently kind of playing Champions, which I bought because I got it (and some gametime) dirt cheap. The superhero thing sort of appeals to me and it has things I like, but overall it needs more polish, needs to look better and needs to be better balanced. Oh, and some more meaningful content.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5