Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Julianus Soter first stated his intention to liberate Federation space on December 4th, Year 111? See the announcement here

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Other MMOGs  (Read 11616 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Other MMOGs
« on: 01 May 2010, 10:10 »

I'm curious what other MMOGs you play still, even if just from time to time.

I still keep a presence in SWG, as some of you know, and Free Realms as well.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Other MMOGs
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2010, 10:27 »

Don't have a presence in any other than Eve right now.

WoW: Played since closed Beta. Quit during Wrath. Got too stupid.
SWG: Tried it. Detested it. They've had quite a few years to fix the retarded animation issues and horrible UI.
Warhammer Online: Tried it, liked it, didn't have time for it.
Fallen Earth: Bitchin' universe. Wicked gameplay and stories. Again, didn't have time, sadly. A lot of potential.
Anarchy Online: Rocked hard when it first came out. Fell behind on the times.

And a few more, but can't remember them all, heheh.

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2010, 11:18 »

Eh, not playing any others besides EVE now. I've been keeping an eye on APB though.

I tried seeing how SWG was after the NPE changes, but almost immediately disliked the combat changes. I played it for at least a year before quitting, though a lot of that towards the end was on the Test Server. May give the SWGEmu another shot at some point, as that looks promising. I still maintain that if some tweaking was done to doctor buffs and armor the old combat system would have been workable. Also less insta-Jedis. :P

Played WAR for a couple months with my brothers and a friend, it was fun. Main issue was population imbalances and trouble finding good fights (we liked to roll alone, just the 3-5 of us).

I've occasionally checked back into WoW (not since early in WotLK now), but personally I couldn't play both EVE and WoW without having absolutely no time left. The casual thing doesn't interest me at all.

These days when I'm not playing EVE I focus on non-MMOs. Battlefield Bad Company 2 and League of Legends are what I play more often than not now.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2010, 11:29 »

Progress Quest...
\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2010, 11:29 »

Planning to pre-order APB myself. :D

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2010, 11:43 »

I was playing E&B when I heard about Eve. Someone said something about a game that was coming out that was Sci-Fi but grittier.

Played several other MMOs briefly, but so far Eve is the only one that has held my interest.

Goshien

• Wetgraver
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2010, 15:46 »

Did a long stint in Wow, getting several characters to high heights. Done with that game, will likely never return.

WAR tried for a short while, couldn't hold interest to long. Vanguard had some ideas, but it's a PvE game, and I'm a PvP kinda guy. Everquest 2 I'm kinda messing around with, but it is only to stave off boredom. Fallen Earth had the idea, but fell on execution, as so many games do. All MMO's have more rooms to improve then a normal game does, but now that the developer has shut down it's fate is sealed.

The idea of a shooter mmo always gets me, but not seen anyone pull it off yet.

Akikio L

• Wetgraver
    • Akikio's Plog
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2010, 16:00 »

EVE was love at first sight, she's the one and only and death will do us part  :P

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2010, 16:14 »

Some MUDs, WoW for a while, CoV, EVE, Warhammer, Puzzle Pirates, FF, couple of others that I have probably forgotten all about.

RvR was pretty good in Warhammer.
WoW was nice fluff.
Puzzle Pirates was jolly good casual gaming.
CoV was a hoot storytellingwise and of course avatar tweakingwise.
FF had a nice pace of things.
EVE, basically an IRC client with nice graphics nowadays.
The game is pretty much crap.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2010, 17:12 »

Not really played any before Eve. Tested WoW a few times at a friends place but did not find it interesting.

Main reason i never did though was i feared it would suck up alot of time. Oh boy, wasi right on that one......  :cry:

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2010, 19:39 »

Aside from EVE, I causally played a free-to-play called RF Online for a while. It wasn't great, but I'd place it on par with World of Warcraft in terms of graphics/mechanics, not bad for a free-to-play. Suffered from a number of things, including terribad Korean-to-English translation, a serious issue with illegal bots, and an inability to advance in any way aside from grinding mobs (PvP didn't really become a possibility until you were level 30 on a 0-to-50 level scale). But hey, it was free, and often fun to hop in my giant robot-cyborg-warrior dude, grab the giant rocket launcher turret he had, and start chucking nuclear missiles at the elf player hordes.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Indahar

• Stare Dad
  • Clonejack
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2010, 19:45 »

I played WoW for a good two and a half years before I got tired of it. The gameplay quickly became stale, but the RP community, even though it was great fun at times, was what eventually drove me away. I couldn't stand the repetition of ideas, plots, characters, etc.
Taylor Swift is My Goddess

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2010, 20:30 »

After EVE, I believe I went to Planetside and City of Heroes at the same time.

I quit Planetside after the game's balance went down hill when they introduced the Craven system. I shudder at what those super mechs apparently do.

City of Heroes has been a love hate relationship. I usually come back when new content is out and hook up with the two supergroups who I was in regular touch with. I'll probably be going back to it when the new graphic update comes out.

Somewhere in that time I followed some friends to Silkroad Online. Fun game but the grind was so terrible it made grinding in City of Heroes look like reading a dirty novel. Quit that haven't gone back yet.

Tried the trial for WoW, quit after the first day when I realized Silkroad had better graphics.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #13 on: 01 May 2010, 22:11 »

I played WoW for a good two and a half years before I got tired of it. The gameplay quickly became stale, but the RP community, even though it was great fun at times, was what eventually drove me away. I couldn't stand the repetition of ideas, plots, characters, etc.

X number of slaves freed, anyone?  :roll:

Indahar

• Stare Dad
  • Clonejack
« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2010, 22:20 »

X number of slaves freed, anyone?  :roll:
It was worse than that. Every new RP guild on my old server was either a remake of another guild's "glory days" or a desperate attempt at digging up something new from upcoming patch/expansion content. Players made their characters change in a continuous loop, contriving anything just to give themselves an excuse to dress in a different color scheme or tabard. The character-driven aspect of WoW RP pretty much dwindled to nothing.
Taylor Swift is My Goddess
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5