Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Lonetrek dialect of the Caldari language is sometimes called the "throat infection" dialect?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Amarr Cultural Summit  (Read 9266 times)

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
Amarr Cultural Summit
« on: 14 Aug 2012, 17:49 »

So having read the various discussions about the summit and slavery, I started to wonder if there was any safe refuge for characters that align with Amarr culture.  It would mirror the summit in that it would be an audio (possibly visual comms) channel where Khanid, Ammatar, and Amarr can interact without interjection from those intolerant to their way of life. The goal of the channel would be to help new RPers to the world of Amarr and build a community. Moderation would ensure people adhere to the rules and outsiders don't disrupt the channel with heretical counter-cultural nonsense.

So my question for you,  fellow Internet spaceship gurus, is twofold : does this already exist, and would it (still) be a welcome to the community if I pushed ahead with this project?

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
Re: Amarr Cultural Summit
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2012, 18:01 »

a) AFAIK no such channel exists.
b) Yeah, sounds like a good idea. I think a 'comms channel' of this sort that isn't just the Summit and has some focus would be a welcome addition.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2012, 18:05 »

Maybe an Amarrian equivalent of the Caldari's Heiian College?

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2012, 18:08 »

I think I've heard rumors of such a place... and that it is long dead from inactivity, but perhaps can be revived/replaced if there's renewed interest.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2012, 18:36 »

I know of one such place and have heard rumors of another; unfortunately, both channels' owners appear to be absent and not returning.

Time to start a new one, I would say.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2012, 18:42 »

A difficult road ahead but best of luck. Smaller pool of Amarr RPers means you might consider opening the doors to those 'seeking to know about the culture' or something similar. A quick boot/ban to any nonsense of course, but this could be a lovely channel that would appeal more to spiritual and theological debates, and less gossip

:)

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2012, 19:50 »

I have full intentions to create a channel similar to this if no one else intends to. I will proceed with making it unless someone else decides to do so.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2012, 19:55 »

Do so! There's "Gallente Lounge" which is the Fed equivalent of the above.

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2012, 22:31 »

Thanks for the replies. 

Art, you seem pretty gung-ho about this idea. Did you want to go ahead with this?

Red

• That Flighty Broad
  • Clonejack
  • Live every week like it's Shark Week.
« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2012, 00:09 »

Red would IMMENSELY enjoy such a channel, at least for the duration of her sabbatical...

Odelya

« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2012, 03:30 »

A good idea. Whoever want to start it, please send me a message, I might have some ideas.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2012, 05:15 »

Well, to be a voice of realism, dont expect a cultural rennaisance. RP Channels other than the summit tend to be silent boneyards, though, I've noticed a little more activity recently which is welcome. Come to think of it, theres not better time to try :P

Anywho, if seeking to avoid the sort of treatment Amarr (the traditional ones) get in Summit, and detering people seeking to start trouble and nothing else, consider stuff like running the channel in default moderated mode and authorising people on a case by case basis.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2012, 05:23 »

I'll make the channel this afternoon when I get home from work. As soon as I have the channel made, I'll put the name here so anyone interested can join.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 15 Aug 2012, 06:51 »

To play the devil's advocate, if people start to see Amarrians beginning to withdraw in their own corner/channel like a clique, it may actually result in the opposite of what you are trying to achieve.

But it is merely a risk, not a certainty. Better to try.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2012, 07:12 »

We're not "withdrawing" Lyn.

We're basically talking about just creating a channel where we can RP among ourselves and anyone willing to talk about Amarr culture and religion. We're not talking about leaving other RP channels and no longer RPing with people.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5