Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Serpentis stole a Federation Navy Nyx, here is the  news item

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Amarr Cultural Summit  (Read 9297 times)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
Re: Amarr Cultural Summit
« Reply #30 on: 15 Aug 2012, 18:15 »

Both approaches are valuable. You can't do both together.

I'd suggest starting with it closed and bedding it in (and working out how you're going to handle some of those internal differences) before maybe opening it up to sympathetic others.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #31 on: 15 Aug 2012, 18:47 »

Well, I say we discuss which direction we want to go with it. I may be the "owner" of the channel but it's a Backstage project, I'll go with whatever we all want to do as a group.

"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #32 on: 15 Aug 2012, 19:10 »

Not that it's for me to say much, but Mata's approach seems sound: invite folks from this thread and others they might recommend, keep it quiet for a bit, and see what the people actually using it think after a bit. :)

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #33 on: 15 Aug 2012, 21:06 »

This is definitely not the vision I had for such a channel. Specifically, making the channel private and virtual environment are my main areas of contention, but its your baby now, so best of luck with it.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 15 Aug 2012, 22:11 »

Making it Amarr-character only means you are unable to do any outreach via the channel.  If the intent is to educate others (those not playing Amarr characters) on the Amarr perspective, then you need to allow others to join the channel and ask questions.

This does not mean freedom of speech.

I disagree with this.  The emphasis should be on playing Amarr characters, not trying to show others what it is to be Amarrian.

Create an exclusive club.  Make being Amarrian mean something.  Talk to others in the Summitt.  Talk about others as Amarrians in the whatever-this-channel will be called. 

All kinds of excited for Amarrian players if this place is exclusive to Amarrians.  Less so if anyone else is allowed it.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 16 Aug 2012, 03:20 »

The way I see it, most Amarrians would not even go to that channel if there would be other ethnicities involved.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #36 on: 16 Aug 2012, 04:00 »

The way I see it, most Amarrians would not even go to that channel if there would be other ethnicities involved.

I think the reason some of us (who aren't even Amarrians) are so "Yeah, make a real Amarrian channel for yourselves" is that we've seen channels which were supposedly for "our" groups end up being co-opted for talking to outsiders, making them unused and unusable by core members of those groups.

I'd love to see more special interest groups sharing easy, low-key, vanilla comms channels where they can just talk about their stuff.

You do not need to be inclusive. If your primary goal is fostering a particular culture, inclusiveness can work against it; whether through distraction, dilution, or dissuading some of your core audience from engaging.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #37 on: 16 Aug 2012, 07:57 »

This is definitely not the vision I had for such a channel. Specifically, making the channel private and virtual environment are my main areas of contention, but its your baby now, so best of luck with it.

There isn't really a limit to the number of channels we can have. This evolved in a different direction than intended, so...  One more tab will hardly crash the client (I hope). I'd be happy to put up another channel for more open discussion if that's something people would enjoy as well. My only concern would be if the two channels prevented each other from reaching critical mass and they both died. That would be  :(

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #38 on: 16 Aug 2012, 08:01 »

I did say this is all open for discussion. It's certainly not impossible for me to remove the virtual environment and we haven't decided on a private or public policy yet.

It seems we have a stronger leaning toward private.

How about the VR setting, for or against?
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #39 on: 16 Aug 2012, 08:34 »

I think a hybrid is better - those who're just station-spinning can drop by in person, and those who're out flying and don't want to risk getting bitched at by the "Rispikt mah RP puritay" police can still attend by using VR.

Morwen would probably get some use out of a channel like this given her living situation (with a minor Holder in the Kingdom), but I'm having an interesting time trying to come up with a reason beyond that for her to be in there. That and the fact that discussions about Amarrian culture on the Summit tend to get thrown off the "someone mentioned slavery~~~" cliff shortly after they begin even when the subject isn't slavery.  :|
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #40 on: 16 Aug 2012, 08:56 »

My personal preference would be for a fairly exclusive (followers of amarrian faith, ie: converts and ammatar allowed) non-VR comms.

There are plenty of venues for discussions with outsiders ranging from IGS+Summit to player owned locations. There aren't many places for IC Amarr Faction discussion.

Regarding non-VR: I'd personally rather a venue that lets anyone freely speak up or sit out of the discussion without having to commit to being a part. Personally I can't commit to a RP scene while actually playing spaceships. Being able to just skim the conversation and chime in would be more convenient than '/me logs into amarrsummit' and having to be present. I've also found some SoDB issues with seeing a conversation in a rp location that i'd like to be a part of, but my character would always have to happen to be at the right place at the right time for that to happen.

all of that said, our characters do neurally connect with a spaceship and it is a scifi setting. who's to say holopresence isn't a standard form of communication as voice/text are today.

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #41 on: 16 Aug 2012, 10:47 »

My beef with virtual reality environments reflects on my regular beef with bar RP in general. Spatial awareness adds to the general confusion of 'who is located where?' issues, tiny cliques of people huddled together ignoring everyone else, new people teleporting about with enhanced-hearing techniques, and pilots in space multi-tasking piloting a starship and coordinating a virtual body. The cleanliness of a comms channel means people come in and verbally interact without having to worry about that kind of stuff.

As for exclusivity, I think anyone should be able to join the channel and those who participate should behave respectfully in regard to the values of Amarrian culture. It's not meant to be a 'behind closed doors' environment where the Amarr let their hair down and have orgies, but they should be able to voice their ideas without being berated by heretics and non-believers. It should also be a place to convert those who are interested, and I think making the channel invite-only kinda destroys any chance of that.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 16 Aug 2012, 10:54 »

But if you don't make it invite-only, how will we be able to spread rumors about it being a Karsothian orgy?

Chell Charon

• Egger
  • IC: Main> Lord Crow Alts> Too many
« Reply #43 on: 16 Aug 2012, 11:06 »

So what people are saying we need two channels.

One that is open to all intrested, that willing to follow Amarrian code of conduct.

Second where we can get into the nitty gritty of interfactional stuff without heathens and heretics constantly disrupting things?
1. Think what you are about to say.
2. Know why you are about to speak up.
-This is here for me, I need the reminder.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 16 Aug 2012, 11:44 »

Well, intrafactional, but that's how I read it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5