Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Frentix exists in a diluted version called Frenetix?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: On being a full-time ass  (Read 7647 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: On being a full-time ass
« Reply #15 on: 07 Aug 2012, 19:21 »

Silas, you play one of my favorite characters in all of EVE RP right now. While yes she is entirely unlikable in personality sometimes, she is actually VERY likable. You just can't help but admire how strong willed she is, unfettered by the opinions of lesser people.

I only wish she didn't hate Kat now! </3

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #16 on: 07 Aug 2012, 20:18 »

Yeah, I sympathise with you, Silas. I've never tried to play just a single character, so I've never had to stick with only one way of being. If I had to play one of my more unpleasant characters all of the time, I'd probably feel as you do.

I get around it by having alts.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 07 Aug 2012, 20:29 »

I've had this feeling several times, especially playing Katla at her most spiteful and rigid. There have been a few times when I've initiated OOC conversations with victims of IC vitriol, just to make sure that IC hard feelings don't bleed into OOC. It's still a joy playing her, though.

Funnily, I never seem to get a bad taste in my mouth about Ruby's actions. She's creepy as hell, and a convincing argument could certainly be made that what she does is evil - but she's not a jerk. She genuinely cares about others and tries to do good, even though her perception of good and evil is seriously out of alignment with the moral compasses of most other people.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #18 on: 07 Aug 2012, 22:09 »

I guess it all depends on whom you see as friends and enemies. If you're playing a character with a racial superiority complex that requires you to negate the opinions and relevance of 75% of New Eden, then I suppose you'd be justified in behaving that way. OTOH, people need outlets to socialize and interact with their peers. Does your character feel isolated, and how do they react to this environment? Are they lashing out for attention, any attention, no matter how terrible?

Food for thought!

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 07 Aug 2012, 22:20 »

I'm not sure how others have viewed Mjalnar "Zagamesh" Gessenier, but he's probably the most difficult character I've played.

Met him once when trying to make contact with the Gallente RP scene. Decided not to go back because I thought he had no redeeming features.

That could say more about me than about how you were playing Zag.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #20 on: 08 Aug 2012, 02:44 »

I love Silas's character OOC, although this may be quite hard to see, as Kala(c) absolutely loathes her >.>

She is everything Kala hates about Amarrians, and then manages to actually extend that by being a Sani Sabik. :eek:

I think I understand what you mean though, as as a few people in regular contact with me will attest, I am usually a very mellow person IRL. Kala however is bitter and angry, has been betrayed in her personal life, and has spent almost her entire time as a capsuleer hating Amarrians and fighting in the war against them. It can be hard for me to stick in this role when I would rather avoid an argument.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Gessenier

« Reply #21 on: 08 Aug 2012, 03:06 »

Met him once when trying to make contact with the Gallente RP scene. Decided not to go back because I thought he had no redeeming features.

Heh, I remember that. The guy can hold very strong opinions. My fault really, I decided it would be interesting to play an extremely cynical man without strong ideals to hold things together. Most of the reason I never really interacted in the RP scene was usually me consciously sparing people his company in that mindset.

These days however, oddly enough he seems to have become an existential humanist or something. Weird.

On a related note however I've always wondered is the onus on the player of a character that can be an ass if another player gets upset over fictional barbs or vitriol exchanged? Or is self-censorship required in the spirit of RP harmony? I don't know, I find it hard to get offended personally as a player by what characters might say.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #22 on: 08 Aug 2012, 03:53 »

Gessenier is awesome since it shows another kind of the usual gallente. Like Hans Nardieu.

Silas is awesome simply because she is one of the very few amarrian characters playing the "superior/arrogant" card everywhere while still remaining perfectly credible and sure of herself. The character has depth, which is cool and rare enough to be noted.

To answer your question I also have to deal with that kind of feelings. The main issue with Lyn is that I did not create her like I usually do, defining a core background and a set of original features to have a coherent model to work with. I started the game with almost no knowledge of the lore, created a character because it was apparently better to choose a character that could min-max in perception/willpower. Discovered the lore slowly as soon as I started to get involved in a little RP here and there. And then I started to built the character according to what happened in space and what seemed best at the time.

The result is that firstly, I will never do the same mistake again, and secondly a very convoluted character with features adding to a pile of previous features that sometimes break its coherence (or just makes the character unbelievable). I regularly have to clean up all of this and it can get really annoying really fast. This is why I almost dream again of simpler, original and clean-cut characters (with depth ofc) where everything is not messy, which are usually the most efficient ones on the long run.

Since I created Lyn as it came over the years, and eventually had to retcon things to create that coherent core of background at a moment (which I did), it often tends to make her think and behave like I do RL, but in a very exagerated fashion when it happens. This is mostly why I feel bad when I am being through her on the IGS (mostly), since she is completely different in flesh ingame. If she were a whole different character that does not share a lot with me, I would be totally OK with it. Here though there is something awkward.
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2012, 03:56 by Lyn Farel »

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 08 Aug 2012, 07:37 »

On a related note however I've always wondered is the onus on the player of a character that can be an ass if another player gets upset over fictional barbs or vitriol exchanged? Or is self-censorship required in the spirit of RP harmony? I don't know, I find it hard to get offended personally as a player by what characters might say.

I think like just about everything in RP the answer is, depends on the case. I think Nat's point about a player talking to people OOCly if their character is behaving offensively is a good one - not that one should self-censor one's character for fluffy kitten RP but that if you are playing your character as someone who upsets people, it's sensible to take a few extra precautions about IC/OOC bleedthrough. In fact, I've felt the need to do that several times over the past few days with one of my characters, despite the RP in question being with players I've known OOCly and ICly on several characters over several years - just to be sure.

The real problems, in my experience, arise when the player of the ass-character is the same in OOC as in IC interactions. (This is not a remark on the OP or any posters in this thread) I personally find it very difficult to avoid taking OOC offence at a character being a dick if the player is also being the same brand of dick in OOC channels and/or forums.  If your character is a homophobe, for example, and you're shitting up my OOC channels with remarks about faggots, I'm not going to be able to consider your character's homophobia as 'just RP, no hard feelings'.  When the character becomes the vehicle for the player's desire to insult or troll without having to deal with the consequences because 'it's just IC', I think a little self-censorship is called for - as well as a little soul-searching.

Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 08 Aug 2012, 14:02 »

Just to be clear, I wasn't OOC offended by Zag, I just found it difficult to have a conversation with him. There were no points of discussion that I remember, just him declaring the way the world was (or should be) and then telling me I was wrong if I tried to disagree.

OOC, no problem. IC, why would I talk to that person?

Other than that, I agree with Ciarente's post, and I'd say a bit more OOC discussion can make IC dickishness a lot less of a problem.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 08 Aug 2012, 14:17 »

I Sometimes find the opposite, where LESS ooc discussion actually improves my RP quite a bit.  I try to stay out of many OOC channels full of RPers (as opposed to ooc channels full of non-rpers that I frequent often).

Now I've gotten to know quite a few of you pretty well OOC, but I look back with fond memories to years past when I was super-duper strict about avoiding OOC with roleplayers, and doing as much as possible to stay IC with them 100%.  It really increased my immersion, at least with enemies. 

Not knowing WHO was behind my IC friends and enemies made things very interesting.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 08 Aug 2012, 19:56 »

Re: OP -

Yes, it's definitely a thing. Part of this may relate to the IC/OOC break in that while many of our characters would have people to socialize with IC, OOC it is easy to end up feeling isolated and bored by lack of RP.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #27 on: 09 Aug 2012, 10:25 »

Not knowing WHO was behind my IC friends and enemies made things very interesting.

it also keeps enthusiasm high. Because you don't get the whole "oh btw, it's (name)" thing, or the "oh, it's you again" thing.
\o/

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #28 on: 09 Aug 2012, 17:18 »

On a number of occasions, people have sent me an OOC note when their character has had IC had friction with Makkal.  This happened frequently when I first started and has steadily declined. I don't think there's an 'onus' but it doesn't hurt, especially if someone is new to the game and might not get the IC/OOC separation necessary.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 10 Aug 2012, 08:20 »

On a number of occasions, people have sent me an OOC note when their character has had IC had friction with Makkal.  This happened frequently when I first started and has steadily declined. I don't think there's an 'onus' but it doesn't hurt, especially if someone is new to the game and might not get the IC/OOC separation necessary.

Perhaps case by case, but I'm much less worried these days about drama in general caused by game actions. 

So long as the actions are consistant with our character and aren't ooc trolling, etc.

Internet Space Pixels.

This is something I used to worry a lot about, wardeccing other RP corps, blowing people up, podding, etc.  I eventually came to the realization that none of it is a big deal.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4