Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that hovercraft are common vehicles on stations? (p. 88)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: On being a full-time ass  (Read 7644 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
On being a full-time ass
« on: 07 Aug 2012, 12:12 »

Do any of you other RPers occasionally get sick / have difficulty being a full-time IC jerk? Or rather having to play characters that are just completely out of personal experience for extended periods?

I swear to god I sometimes just want to punch Silas in the mouth for being such a sanctimonious biotch in public, but I've committed to being IC snarky and unliked by many so I'm just going with it at the moment. 

Anyway just curious if any of you run into this sort of thing.  I'm often ooc rooting for people and I like giving a lot of ooc 'likes' on IGS but then proceed to jump right in and rag on people IC.  It just gets to me ooc now and then.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
Re: On being a full-time ass
« Reply #1 on: 07 Aug 2012, 12:27 »

I dunno, I love Silas IC.  I just wish she'd stop tooling around with awful pirates instead of the good pirates who could be her real friends (us). ;)
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 07 Aug 2012, 12:30 »

I dunno, I love Silas IC.  I just wish she'd stop tooling around with awful pirates instead of the good pirates who could be her real friends (us). ;)

haha thanks, but I am interested if any of you run into these sorts of conflicts after a while

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #3 on: 07 Aug 2012, 12:33 »

Oh all the time.  Im not really a techno-utopian fascist in real life (though I do actually find a lot of interest in transhumanism!).  I don't actually believe that peoples free will should be subverted for the good of the whole.

Arguing these positions occasionally leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but I can usually wash it out because everything else about it is so much fun.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

ArtOfLight

« Reply #4 on: 07 Aug 2012, 12:48 »

Being a Christian in real life and arguing for a religion that is dynamically different than my own, especially a militant one proves very difficult at times.

When I played Malcolm, playing an atheist, highly confrontational pragmatist was very difficult for me at times as well.

I tend to enjoy Silas a lot because of whom she is and how she contorts herself and I know that you're a cool person OOC from what I've seen. I tend to play very idealistic characters that are stubborn, highly moral and driven by conviction - which I've discovered causes a lot of conflict as well.

I've found playing an Amarr that doesn't just yell heathen, heretic, blasphemy and slave at everyone all the time can become very tiresome as well.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #5 on: 07 Aug 2012, 13:04 »

Malcolm:  I had the issue with Malcolm in reverse playing a religious Amarrian as an atheist.

It's tricky...

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #6 on: 07 Aug 2012, 14:02 »

Oh all the time.  Im not really a techno-utopian fascist in real life (though I do actually find a lot of interest in transhumanism!).  I don't actually believe that peoples free will should be subverted for the good of the whole.

Arguing these positions occasionally leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but I can usually wash it out because everything else about it is so much fun.

U DONT????????????

Re : topic

In general I leave a healthy breath between my real world and virtual world selves and their feelings. I really only find it tiresome when I feel like I'm spamming the same lines and lines again (the same ideals i'm fine with). Finding different ways to argue the same point makes it more varied and stimulating IMO.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 07 Aug 2012, 14:05 »

Keep up being the beotch, Silas, that's why we love you!!

:cube:
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 07 Aug 2012, 14:22 »

I am only a part time ass so I am no help.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 07 Aug 2012, 14:22 »

I try to make Ava be much more confrontational and violent than I am IRL (of course. I am not a spaceship pilot) and at times, just want to tell her to shut UP!

I just started an Amarrian character, who is pretty soft spoken, but very Amarrian. A lot of what she believes/does are very distasteful to me IRL... we will see what happens!

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #10 on: 07 Aug 2012, 14:29 »

U DONT????????????

I sometimes feel like people think I actually believe that!  I will choose to take it as a compliment towards my ability to argue a position with conviction, even if I don't hold it myself, coupled with my obvious and overpowering ability to RP a believable character (who can probably lift cars).

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 07 Aug 2012, 14:38 »

EVE can all too easily become a second job you pay for. If it's a second job you pay for where you're (a) being a jerk, and (b) not even enjoying being a jerk, have a think about what else you could do.

We'll often stick with a character for a time because it's the "right" thing to do to keep it consistent, fill a niche in the meme-pool, etc, but at the end of things this is your real life you're investing: if you're not getting a reasonable payback you should do something else.

Consider consciously debriefing\"de-roling" after your roleplay sessions. It helps clear the emotional palate and can help you see the character more clearly.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 07 Aug 2012, 15:39 »

I think all of the factions have a 'keeping up appearances' bit in their culture.

Where they show a different aspects of their persona to different kinds of people.

Having in-game friends that you can let your hair down with can be a real life saver at times.

That is why I love roleplaying people, not archetypes or Mary Sues.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Gessenier

« Reply #13 on: 07 Aug 2012, 18:08 »

I'm not sure how others have viewed Mjalnar "Zagamesh" Gessenier, but he's probably the most difficult character I've played. The way I've always RP'ed him is as a man who's sensitive at heart but is also a man dealing with a lot of blood on his hands with no easy answers at hand. He's torn in all sorts of different ways so in public at least I think he can off as very direct, aggressive and confrontational. All the alcohol he consumes probably doesn't help either. I think a lot of his self-loathing tends to get projected outwards. The difficulty I've found is that he's practically the polar opposite of me, who's a pretty chill and relaxed guy, so I do sometimes worry if people take it personally when he's liable to chew someone's head off.

He also tends to put walls up even with those closest to him, so not many I think have ever actually seen the real Zag for all the facades he puts up. Sometimes even I get confused with what the hell is going on in that guy's head. Maybe he's just insane, who knows?

My other characters I don't have much issue with, since they don't carry as much baggage around with them.

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.
« Reply #14 on: 07 Aug 2012, 18:57 »

It is a gift, it must be embraced!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4