Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That greasy, deep-fried Caldari takeout food is eaten with tongs and remains popular in the Federation?  (The Burning Life pp 40,41)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Kindred of Scarecrows [SPOOX]  (Read 12999 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Kindred of Scarecrows [SPOOX]
« Reply #30 on: 01 Aug 2012, 05:17 »

I like that idea.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #31 on: 01 Aug 2012, 08:11 »

Character challenge!

Use the personality generator from Dwarf Fortress and play the character accordingly. Try to hit one or two personality points every day.

:D

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #32 on: 01 Aug 2012, 08:39 »

So I'm not the only one who does that.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #33 on: 01 Aug 2012, 15:36 »

Can I suggest that the 50 million ISK allowance be removed? It would make it more fun for those of us with too much money to actually have to scrape a living again, like in the old days. If the whole corporation is doing it, that makes it so much better.

Surely the CEO could have a bit more starting capital, but it would possibly be more exciting if we all had to work together as a real Thukker Caravan to simply make ends meet. Sally Egger needs a more ammunition, but she's broke. Wouldn't it be more fun if a few of them got together and helped her with a mission, instead of someone just randomly chucking her several million?

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 01 Aug 2012, 16:04 »

Character challenge!

Use the personality generator from Dwarf Fortress and play the character accordingly. Try to hit one or two personality points every day.

:D

Dooo eeettt

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #35 on: 01 Aug 2012, 16:08 »

Extra points if you cause a tantrum spiral.

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.
« Reply #36 on: 01 Aug 2012, 16:15 »

"Once you're signed on, there is no docking in non-Thukker stations in high-sec space... but :nefarious: connections can get you clearance in lowsec and below"

I hate to be the slow pupil but could you define "signed on"  :eek:  Why I ask is that I have been mining my little outcast heart out and now have the 24K to buy a sweet new frigate and ... its not in a Thukker Station  :bash:

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #37 on: 01 Aug 2012, 16:17 »

There's still a lot of good input coming in on this from across the Backstage community.  I'm really happy to see the level of interest in the project for what it is (Thukker caravans) and in doing something that could bring a lot of us together in game in one place.

I'm looking to convene an OOC meeting in Kindred Mix this Saturday at 2000 Eden Standard to discuss the SPOOX project with all interested and available parties.  We'll be discussing the rules of the challenge in order to reach a consensus and brainstorming ideas for the corp and characters.  I'd like the meeting to run about 60 minutes max.  Please attend using a main character rather than your SPOOX alt, if you already have one.  I want to keep their identities as protected as possible.

If this time doesn't work for you and you have input on the project that hasn't already been aired here, please post it in advance so we can take your points into consideration.

I hate to be the slow pupil but could you define "signed on"

By that I mean once you've formally joined the Kindred of Scarecrows corp.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 01 Aug 2012, 16:29 »

I don't know if I'll be around, but please be sure to consider the activity implications of an all-alt corporation and what can happen when the initial shine wears off. I could see this kind of working for an industrial "main", actually.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #39 on: 01 Aug 2012, 17:03 »

I think part of the fun is the uncertainty that the alt element brings to it. A thukker caravan would have to adapt to changing situations including say the disappearance of a valued member. I also think that if it's interesting enough, people will stick around. Speaking personally, getting involved with RP in the first place was just an alt activity. It's kept me in the game for years longer than I'd likely have stayed.

I've started to give the challenge a try. No 50millionISK startup. I initially tried no tutorial as well but that was pretty difficult. I also quickly noted that thukker distribution missions will likely not be a possibility. Everything seems to be sufficiently difficult but not impossible.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 01 Aug 2012, 18:24 »

While I'm thinking of it, I heartily endorse using the Constellation channels. I'd have to think about the best way to use them, because Local is so important for intel (especially outside of highsec), but they're so underused that they have value for that very reason.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 01 Aug 2012, 19:12 »

Please take all of the below as constructive criticism offered in a friendly manner. I'm interested in the project and would like to see it succeed, so it's worth reviewing a few things.

Here we're talking about the negative but not absolutely damning Voluval marks.  There are shades of gray to play around in rather than just black and white.

I want to agree with what you just said. But there's an issue that comes up in the Ray of Matar chronicle:

She feared she would get one of the degrading marks: the spiraling circle; the scarecrow; the purple cross; or any of the numerous other marks that could forever exile you from Minmatar society. Fortunately this didn’t happen often; Karin had only witnessed it once, when she was six years old. A teenage boy got the worst mark there was: the pale eye. The poor boy had been driven away from the town, not even his family was willing to recognize him, let alone help him. (emphasis added)

This gets repeated in the description of the Voluval:

The rarest of the negative marks such as the Pale Eye, the Face of Helina, or the Broken Shield can see its bearer out cast by the Minmatar, banished to Arzad II. Less rare, though still not common, are the other detrimental marks such as the Spiraling Circle, the Scarecrow, the Purple Cross, or the Slaver's Fang. These marks may force the bearer into a self-imposed, life-time vow of silence, under traditional penalty of having their tongues cut out should they ever break it. In recent years it has become common for those with these marks to choose a life of exile over the burden of bearing their shame amongst their kin.

So the corp is named after a mark that, while not quite as bad as the Pale Eye, still leads to exile, shunning, or worse. This is shade of grey that's so dark as to be difficult to tell apart without a color chart.

Thukkers by nature are slightly outcast from the rest of Minmatar society despite the "re-unification" a few years ago. That is, while they might be accepted de jure by the political system, they may not be accepted de facto by broader society.  So that alone provides some cultural basis without going to the extreme of the Scarecrow motif. (For now, I won't go into the question of training, except to say that I could think of a few ways to handwave it.)

Essentially, I believe you've mushed together two different types of outcasts: Thukkers and the "marked", if you will. A Thukker caravan following a nomadic lifestyle is a great option and one that obviously appeals to a lot of players (including me). But adding on the additional outcast bits overly complicates things in my mind.

I'd recommend a few things. You could do all, none, or a few of them, of course.

- Assume that some capsuleers may join without the outcast marks because, after all, who can tell them what to do? They would then incur significant cultural rejection from some quarters, much like interracial marriages in the American South during the Jim Crow era, without complicating their backstory as such.
- Lose the "marked outcasts" part of the background and focus on the Thukker caravan. As noted, this gets you shadiness and some level of shunning anyway because "decent people" don't associate with those thieving, scamming Thukkers.
- The docking restriction is kind of hard to handwave. CONCORD doesn't allow docking restrictions in empire space except in the specific case of FW, and even then that's only in contestable systems. (Yes, it's odd that Amarr militia can dock in Rens but not, say, Amamake, I agree.) So is this because people don't like the looks they get - which I have trouble imagining really mattering much to a capsuleer - or for some other reason?

Personally, I'd like to see a focus specifically on the Thukkerism without doubling down with the outcast marks. For a corporation focused on heavy roleplay, that may lead to a lot more trouble than its worth, because the limitations may become so great that players end up losing interest in what will be, after all, alts.

Thoughts / responses?

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #42 on: 01 Aug 2012, 19:21 »

The characters we create aren't Thukkers though. The mark can be a reason for a member of the republic to leave it, and in this case align with the Thukkers. So in my eyes it's not at all "doubling up" by going both shunned and Thukker-style - it's using being shunned as a justification for going Thukker-style (and, perhaps just as important, not locking the character or the group down for Thukker-style RP forever).

Docking restrictions is naturally a debatable point, but the way I see it it would be more of a "well fuck you too" from the SPOOX than it would be a deliberate blockade of their activities. And, ultimately, it's more of a gameplay challenge to encourage a certain style of play.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #43 on: 01 Aug 2012, 19:40 »

I have made a thukker alt, sadly, I went into summit before I realized I wasnt supposed to. Whoops. To be honest, if it is a part time, back burner thing for people, ok, but I likely will either 1) just be consistently active on the new character anyways, for the reason outlined below, and for those times when no one is around, I'll find RP where I find it. And no, it wont be as offering to hold hands and sing songs with... well, likely, anyone.

To be honest, this whole Idea has made eve "interesting and new" for me again. It lets me play a Minmatar character, yet, without some of the baggage. I'm more interested in just actually forming a thukker community (so CCP says we cant make "thukker" characters... you have a bio for a reason) than in playing people with outcast marks. Strange and xenophobic? I can get behind that. Likely a psychopath? Meh, not my sort of RP.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 01 Aug 2012, 20:25 »

Here are some notes from earlier research I did on Thukkers. Feel free to use, ignore, cherry-pick, whatever, it's all good.

Thukker ideas

Nomadism

In New Eden, many pilots live in a defined area for substantial periods of time. This might mean a particular solar system, or a constellation, or some other zone. They work the same agents, mine the same belts, prowl for ratters, defend their sovereignty, or work the same trade routes.

Nomads don't live like that. We move from place to place over time, always looking for what's on the other side of the stargate. We don't consider ourselves to belong to a particular nation or own some volume of space. Instead, we go where we want, when we want, to do what we want. We travel and tinker and trade and, yeah, take.

So we don't have twenty different ships in our hangar. We have a industrial ship and travel light. This week, we live in Essence, and the next week we’re back home in Molden Heath before spending some time in Syndicate or Lonetrek.

For us, this doesn't mean operating independently, though. We fly together as a clan and support each other. We set goals and achieve them, both for individual and group benefit. But that "group" means us, not some larger state to which we should owe allegiance due to the happenstance of our birth.

I am a Thukker. Whether the world sees me as one or not, they must choose. But I fly Thukker until I die.

Thukker Mix

"The Thukkers generally favor speed and offensive power over defensive capability. Thukkers spend their entire lives forever wandering the infinite in their vast caravans.  As such their technology is based as much upon necessity as their ingenious ability to tinker.  Their ship designs therefore tend to based upon the standard empire templates but extensively modified for the Thukkers’ unique needs."

Tech 2 ships
  • Jaguar (Assault Ship)
  • Cheetah (Covert Ops)
  • Vagabond (Heavy Assault Ship)
  • Panther (Black Ops)
  • Mastodon (Transport Ship)
  • Nomad (Jump Freighter)

Related Tech 1 base ships
  • Rifter
  • Probe
  • Stabber
  • Typhoon
  • Mammoth
  • Fenrir

Character Ideas

Of course, “go blow people up” works, too, but here are some other archetypes you might take as a base for whatever works for you.
  • Trader (particularly itinerant rather than station)
  • Salvager / looter
  • Mission runner
  • - Thukker tribe
  • - Angel Cartel (for traditionalist-type characters)
  • Scammer (not all corps will permit this, naturally)
  • Miner / industrialist
  • Scientist (inventor / tinkerer)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6