Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that ectoplasm (pod goo) is illegal in all empire space except the Minmatar Republic?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Kindred of Scarecrows [SPOOX]  (Read 13001 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: Kindred of Scarecrows [SPOOX]
« Reply #75 on: 09 Aug 2012, 23:24 »

So, its out there - did those participating ever agree upon a "goal" or is forming the goal right now?

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #76 on: 10 Aug 2012, 05:26 »

I'll have to update the OP today or over the weekend to reflect the direction taken as a result of the meet.  In practice, the corp ought to remain flexible and dynamic though, imo.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #77 on: 10 Aug 2012, 07:54 »

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

I'd be all over this atm if RL weren't being, you know, awesome* at the moment. The semester needs to start so my gf will go back to school and I can play EVE again.

*just got engaged. Wheeeee!

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #78 on: 10 Aug 2012, 08:06 »

likelikelikelike
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #79 on: 10 Aug 2012, 08:36 »

*just got engaged. Wheeeee!
Wheeeeee!

ArtOfLight

« Reply #80 on: 10 Aug 2012, 08:36 »

Congrats on the engagement, Stecker!

You'll have plenty of options when you get back into the swing of things. WHG is still rocking things, SPOOX is looking pretty solid and I've got something in the works that will come to light soon.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #81 on: 10 Aug 2012, 14:10 »

Grats Stecker :)

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #82 on: 10 Aug 2012, 16:58 »

Grats, Stecker! Good luck!

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #83 on: 10 Aug 2012, 20:03 »

You know what I've always wanted to see?

A thickly-leather-bound book... the pages of which also appear to be skin. One that may be folded from page to page... and each fleshy leaf contains a depiction of a Voluval mark. The whole thing harkens back to the truly savage ages of the Minmatar, when they were just Brutors clubbing Sebiestors over the head with clubs, but already they had this profoundly developed religious ritual, and skin-bound tome that goes along with it.

The book starts with the worst marks possible. Each page is, in fact, the sliced-off, dried-out skin of some poor bastard to receive the bad mark in the ancient past. Back in those days, when you got a bad mark, they just skinned you alive and cut out the choice bit to put in the book. The Pale Eye, the Slaver's Fang, the stuff mentioned in PF. The marks that mean you'll turn out to be a traitor, a predator, a gossip, a thief, a negative influence on society. A few new ones could be added here, too.

As the pages progress, they move from the worst marks to the worse, then the not-so-bad. The not-so-bad section is in fact the most extensive; after all, only a few people get the Ray of Matar like Karin Midular. The rest just get the bull icon, like Midular's friend did in the short story "Ray of Matar" - or some other generic mark that means they'll be a good pilot, or engineer, or street-sweeper.

And they conclude in the greatest marks one could possibly achieve. The Ray of Matar, determining a future leader. The Fuckload of Missiles, determining a future pro at deploying the Gjallarhorn. Etcetera etcetera.

Basically I really would like to see an entire encyclopaedia of Voluval marks.
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2012, 20:22 by hellgremlin »

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #84 on: 10 Aug 2012, 21:48 »

Basically I really would like to see an entire encyclopaedia of Voluval marks.

1. As information, this would be a fantastic resource for Minmatar characters. It's so deeply tied in with the flavour of the race, though, that I think there's some reluctance to have players create it.

2. As an IC artifact I think it's actually a bit awkward. That might be due to my non-canonical development--based on views common in some of the cultures I look to for inspiration--about the importance of the bodies and bones of the ancestors. You might get away with making something like this with the corpses of your enemies, but I don't think that sort of intertribal killing-and-flaying would have been accepted practice for millennia. (It would be a very Istvaan artifact, though: heavy with symbolic and spiritual meaning... quite possibly including that you stopped the people these skins were taken from from joining the ancestors.)

3. We don't currently know if the voluval tradition existed back in the days of "Brutors clubbing Sebiestors over the head with clubs". That's before the Minmatar Empire and long before some of the marks we know about would have made sense: the "Slaver's Fang" and the embarrassing mark that "resembles the symbol of the Ammatar Mandate". There's enough tension in the evidence that I can't tell whether it's really the old tradition it claims, or whether it's a relatively recent one, disseminated as part of building Minmatar identity since the Great Rebellion, and with its own appealing myth of origin.

The following quote is explicitly about tattoos that aren't voluval marks:
Quote from: Ray of Matar
    “Not all families have a motif and not all motifs are associated with a specific family.” Vormar said. “Here, let me show you something.” The old sage started rummaging in his trunk. After a while he produced a large leather-bound book.
    “My father gave me this book when I was your age.” He said. “It illustrates and explains everything you want to know about tattoos. Take a look at it, maybe it will help you decide what motif you want.” Vormar handed Karin the book. She opened it at random. The page showed a picture of a tattooed man, with explanations for each tattoo.
    “This book was published shortly after the rebellion.” Vormar continued. “While we were under the yoke of the Amarrians they systematically tried to erase many of our most sacred traditions; tattooing amongst them. This book was intended to re-introduce this ancient custom to those that had never experienced it. Admittedly not all modern motifs are in it, but all of the old major ones are there. I’ve used it before to teach slave-children such as you about tattooing. You can borrow it for a few days.”

Anxiang

• Clonejack
« Reply #85 on: 15 Aug 2012, 07:08 »

I am highly interested and wish to join SPOOX as soon as possible.. if I am allowed to.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #86 on: 15 Aug 2012, 20:54 »

2. As an IC artifact I think it's actually a bit awkward. That might be due to my non-canonical development--based on views common in some of the cultures I look to for inspiration--about the importance of the bodies and bones of the ancestors. You might get away with making something like this with the corpses of your enemies, but I don't think that sort of intertribal killing-and-flaying would have been accepted practice for millennia. (It would be a very Istvaan artifact, though: heavy with symbolic and spiritual meaning... quite possibly including that you stopped the people these skins were taken from from joining the ancestors.)

I haven't seen my name used as an adjective like that before. What did you mean? ;p

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #87 on: 16 Aug 2012, 03:38 »

I haven't seen my name used as an adjective like that before. What did you mean? ;p

I confer on you another kind of fame...  ;p

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #88 on: 08 Sep 2012, 17:33 »

Been out of the game due to Guild Wars 2 for a bit, but will be back to activity by next week, probably.  :P

Leopold Caine

• Egger
  • Angels are never far...
« Reply #89 on: 08 Sep 2012, 17:47 »

GW2 or whatever, I got the notion this idea never lived up to its planned capacity , from immediate talks with random players.

C / D ?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]