Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Scagga once had a bodyguard by the name of 'cuddles'?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Kindred of Scarecrows [SPOOX]  (Read 12998 times)

Tamiroth

• Wetgraver
Re: Kindred of Scarecrows [SPOOX]
« Reply #15 on: 30 Jul 2012, 09:45 »

I absolutely love the idea!

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jul 2012, 10:43 »

Glad to see the idea, though I'll note a few considerations. You may have already thought of them, but just in case:

- Think about eventually getting up to Jump Freighters and Orcas too. The Minmatar JF in particular comes from the Thukker Tribe, in fact.
- Limiting to alts may limit activity and that can be the death knell for a corp. That's a tradeoff, of course, because bringing in established characters carries its own set of risks.
- If everything is a priority, nothing is.

Gymir Asaadan

• Clonejack
« Reply #17 on: 30 Jul 2012, 14:28 »

Ken, I don't know who you are, but you're on magnificent bastard. I was going to try something along this lines with my "Pirates" angle but mostly focus on operating out of the Arzad II system and following the idea of capsuleers who are given one of the "poor" Voluval marks.

I think the most difficult part of this would be that the mark would have had to been bestowed AFTER one graduated from the Republic capsuleer training program. As it is unlikely that anyone with such a mark would have been selected or made it through the program with such widely disrespected marks.

However it is also difficult to find a IC shaman willing to give such a mark, or at least I have found it difficult with my limited contacts, short of just making up a NPC, and doing it all myself witch would be 1/4 the fun taken out of receiving such a mark. As I see it, the distain from getting such a marking would be immediate and scarring.

Here is how I see it in my imagination, short version, in this case "you" is your character -

You spend months studying lore and training the mind and soul for the Voluval ceremony, think along the lines of importance in a minmatar's life, this would be just as if not more important than marriage. The vent hosts your family and friends, you follow a certain ceremonial procedure, down to the T, you can't feel anything of the mark until it is revealed. Your robe falls away and reveals the mark, suddenly the whole atmosphere changes. Are there gasps in the crowd? do your family and friends recoil from you, instantly push you away, are you given any pity, short of the shaman walking away with you and offering your two choices, Exile or never speaking again, perhaps exile or death, or just death. Do you run from the ceremony, or stand there as if nothing has changed, even though you know from your very roots of understanding that this mark is the evil inherent, damning you to some extent.

Quite compelling RP, and something that should not be overlooked in the development of alts for this project. I imagine these ceremonies would get quite trite if repeated too often, like suddenly 20-30 alts showed up and received bad Voluval marks. I had hoped to move along with my story beyond this point before this idea was brought up more, but damn good stuff.
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
-Buddha

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #18 on: 30 Jul 2012, 14:42 »

I think the most difficult part of this would be that the mark would have had to been bestowed AFTER one graduated from the Republic capsuleer training program. As it is unlikely that anyone with such a mark would have been selected or made it through the program with such widely disrespected marks.
I think that's needlessly complicating things.

We don't know what attitude the republic schools have towards the voluval, but I doubt they have any codified discrimination towards people with bad marks. The faculty and other students would shun the marked, certainly, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to get an education with a bad mark on your back. There are definitely non-traditionalists who are willing to help those with bad marks, and there are ways to hide your brand and disappear into the teeming masses of the cluster. There are clans who don't practice voluval, so I doubt marks are something that's maintained in paperwork.

Taking all that into account, it would be a lot of work but not impossible to get through a school without getting noticed as having a bad mark. That said, even if you are found out I'm pretty sure every single major school in the Republic would be willing to overlook your mark once it's obvious you're a capsuleer candidate.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 30 Jul 2012, 14:52 »

Consider me interested... and posessed of an open character slot.

Gymir Asaadan

• Clonejack
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jul 2012, 15:03 »

I think that's needlessly complicating things.

We don't know what attitude the republic schools have towards the voluval, but I doubt they have any codified discrimination towards people with bad marks. The faculty and other students would shun the marked, certainly, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to get an education with a bad mark on your back. There are definitely non-traditionalists who are willing to help those with bad marks, and there are ways to hide your brand and disappear into the teeming masses of the cluster. There are clans who don't practice voluval, so I doubt marks are something that's maintained in paperwork.

Taking all that into account, it would be a lot of work but not impossible to get through a school without getting noticed as having a bad mark. That said, even if you are found out I'm pretty sure every single major school in the Republic would be willing to overlook your mark once it's obvious you're a capsuleer candidate.

I disagree, but you bring up some interesting points. Not all I agree with.

I guess my line of disbelief begins and ends here.

"I'm pretty sure that every single major school in the Republic would be willing to overlook your mark once it's obvious you're a capsuleer candidate."

It's stated numerous times in the canon that to the Minmatar's shame, their conduct of the Voluval and its bestowed markings, and the people who get bad marking, are repressed and treated poorly by the Minmatar as a whole.

[spoiler]
"Still deeply rooted in tribal folklore and steeped in tradition, the Minmatar often attract scorn for the seemingly barbaric rituals they cling on to; the Voluval, that most integral of ceremonies, chief among them. While it is clearly the most influential and important ritual to a young Matari, it carries with it a terrible burden often swept under the carpet by shamans and spokesmen of the tribal faith. After all, if the fact that those who would fight most fiercely for freedom, would also readily oppress a fragment of their own populace, became known to the public at large – it would surely cut the legs out from under any lucrative charity effort."

From http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/The_Outcast_(Chronicle)[/spoiler]

That whole Cron basically implies that people with these marks are either mute, or exiled, not herded through school under the protective umbrella or keeping their mark hidden. Every single major school would still be run by minmatar, and capsuleer or not, my take on that, or rather the indications I get from the "Voluval" and "The Outcast" chrons are they would be excluded from such places once found out.

Just my take on it though, ymmv!
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
-Buddha

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2012, 15:14 »

Here we're talking about the negative but not absolutely damning Voluval marks.  There are shades of gray to play around in rather than just black and white.  And capsuleers are exceptionally rare and valuable things.  Useful assets to the Republic even if a few of them have a culturally repulsive quality.  Plus you might not want to throw them out into the cold so quickly considering the amount of damage a vengeful capsuleer could cause...

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 30 Jul 2012, 18:46 »

Ah what the hell.. I will even make a alt for this.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #23 on: 30 Jul 2012, 20:22 »

Recruitment for the Kindred of Scarecrows is still closed for the moment, but the very positive response so far makes me think we ought to give this thing a shot.  I appreciate the feedback and will incorporate it as SPOOX is still very much a work in progress.

I have just established an IC public channel, "Kindred Mix", for use with this project.  If you've already created an alt for the purpose of the project, tune in.  I have also thought about using the built-in Constellation channels as a primary means of communication.  In the name of immersion, I want to limit OOC interaction between SPOOX characters to only what is absolutely necessary, so avoid venues where that is likely to happen and try to stay IC as much as possible.

If you haven't yet settled on a character idea, don't rush it.

Some ground rules:
  • Characters should be new graduates and you should be prepared to start training them
  • They should be Minmatar, but imagine ways to bend (or break) the stereotypes without going overboard
  • Don't bring a Mary Sue -- just don't do it -- have flaws, but keep them believable (don't bring an Anti-Sue either)
  • It's okay to run the tutorial missions if you want some quick resources, but let that be your last mission running for the Republic
  • Don't send more than 50m ISK max from another character and put that cash only toward an initial buy of skillbooks
  • Take no help from other characters or accounts (yours or friends') after that initial donation
  • If you want a really steep challenge, go with a completely unassisted new character (a true pauper's origin)
  • Don't betray your true identity (I'd like it if I'm the only one whose SPOOX alt's player is publicly known)
  • Once you're signed on, there is no docking in non-Thukker stations in high-sec space... but :nefarious: connections can get you clearance in lowsec and below
  • Stay out of the Summit and off the IGS or at least be a subtle presence there; I can't imagine a believable outcast society being put on international display and the focus here is on small venue character-rich interactions

If/as this moves forward, I'll draft some plans for an initial formation of the "migrant fleet" and announce a starting system.  We'd naturally want to start in high-sec and Leurtmar is as good a candidate as any, but we'll see.

Personally, I feel undereducated on Thukker lore, so if anyone has some solid gold links on that topic, I would appreciate you posting them.

More to follow.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2012, 23:11 »

We have a great Thukker PF compilation here already.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #25 on: 31 Jul 2012, 05:32 »

Awesome.  Thanks, Cas.  I'd have just run a search but I was fairly tired last night.  :oops:

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 31 Jul 2012, 08:34 »

No worries! I've been pondering this idea since I saw your post, and my biggest concern right now is the activity levels if you're actively recruiting alts. Any thoughts on that?

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #27 on: 31 Jul 2012, 09:54 »

Recruiting *only* alts, no less. Working as intended imo.  I see it more as a side project akin to the rogue drone alt community than a full time thing.  Mileage may vary of course and more active participants would be natural choices for leadership.  Would probably try to establish a regular activity schedule for the group as a whole...  Mondays with the Migrant Fleet, Thursday Night Thukkers, etc.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #28 on: 31 Jul 2012, 10:01 »

Migrant Mondays / Mining Mondays (Every other week)

T1 Tuesdays

Wandering Wednesdays

Thukker Thursdays

Freespace Fridays

8)

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #29 on: 01 Aug 2012, 03:40 »

8)

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6