Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sukuuvestaa Corporation, or SuVee as it is commonly known, is the head of the self-proclaimed 'practical' faction within the Caldari State? Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 47578 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #30 on: 10 Nov 2011, 16:26 »

It's apparently not too taxing. A system that runs Oblivion at 60-70 fps can run this at 30-40.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #31 on: 10 Nov 2011, 20:42 »

Oh my god oh my god oh my god squeeeeeeee!

And don't even get me started on the execution moves with dual daggers... or the throatslitting... or the sneaky archery... or the DRAGONS!

Eeeeeee....

* Mizhara goes off to play more Skyrim.

"So there I was... scarred and tired after fighting bandits and undead, stalking through caverns and ruins filled with traps. The beauty of some of the chambers having stirred my heart, but my head pounding after staring too intently on runes on the walls. The exit leaving me breathless as I stared across a river and onto the mountains. A small smile on my face. Victory. I'd killed them all and gotten more than what I came for. Wandering through the forest on my way back to the village, I forgot it all. Everything. A flame atronach was dancing in a glen, leaving behind burning footsteps as she floated around in her dance. And I was mesmerized for too long, as the fireball suddenly came flying towards me. What else could I do? I ran with my leather armor smoking and singed."

Just a short five minutes of my playtime.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2011, 20:49 by Mizhara »

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #32 on: 10 Nov 2011, 21:17 »

I think I'm going magic w/ one-handed swordsmanship this time around. We're all fully aware of how swordplay works from Oblivion...swish to left, swish to right, etc. sometimes finishing moves and so forth.

But magic is veerrrrrry pretty. It functions and appears a lot cooler than it ever did in Oblivion, with the whole magic charging up in your hand and that. You'd miss a lot of cool stuff by ignoring magic me thinks.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #33 on: 10 Nov 2011, 21:36 »

Ignoring? Naw. Just doesn't fit this particular character. I'll do magic... well, not next time around, but the time after that. Besides, the dagger dualwielding killanimations are just too awesome for words. Beats any lightshow as far as I'm concerned.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #34 on: 11 Nov 2011, 03:20 »

My system only barely meets the system requirements.

With Oblivion, that meant the game will start, but didn't mean you could play it.

Bleh.

I was facing the same situation, and was very tempted to wait.

I was giddy at seeing the game running very well on my system, despite my shitty processor.

btw, this game pwns on so many levels. They took everything good about New Vegas and integrated it into Elder Scrolls. I'm extremely impressed so far.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 11 Nov 2011, 03:42 »

I have never played any of the Elder Scroll games. Fantasy settings really have incredible low appeal to me. I did enjoy FO:NV to a great extent, though I always seem to lose interest a bit too quick in games that does not contain a strong strategy game type element. :(

Maybe I will get Skyrim when it goes on sale on Steam or something...
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Lyn Farel

« Reply #36 on: 11 Nov 2011, 06:16 »

Mhh as much as I can love medfan settings (like the Witcher), it is pretty rare to see something really creative and interesting, and I find the Elder Scrolls pretty dull and classic (personnal taste).

On another note, not talking about gameplay, story (even if I heard that most of the Elder Scrolls stories are quite meh), graphically, its a disaster imo. Some textures are quite good  or even awesome (see the face or the leaves/tree), while other textures are definitly ugly (see the armor of the former, or here, here...). This is quite dramatically inequal.

And this without even speaking of the way they render their speculars, that is just terrible. Every image or screenshot I see is partially or totally burnt by the light reflections, just because they thought that with a lot of specular it would be awesome or something... That is just ugly.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #37 on: 11 Nov 2011, 07:12 »

Jesus christ this is the crack cocaine of gaming.

I cranked up all the details to ultra and it runs smooth as silk - very polished and smooth and totally immersive from the beginning. I enjoyed running and gunning with archery so much I've spent all my gold on the archery trainer and ranged combat tools and spanked my perks in that direction.

This is going to eat my life.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 11 Nov 2011, 07:26 »

Jesus christ this is the crack cocaine of gaming.

For Fuckssakes, THIS.

I've been geeking out for hours....  :cube:

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #39 on: 11 Nov 2011, 08:55 »

So far I've been most impressed by all the little things that take the immersion to the next level.  The sound design (the music, the voices, the thundering environmental effects -- everything!), the third-party banter (which eventually will repeat on later play-throughs but for now is brilliant and refreshing) and voice acting, the engagement of the NPCs with the environment (an innkeeper rents me a room for the night... and then gets up to show me to my room), the animals (both wild and domestic; normal, scruffy, everyday dogs!), and the presence of children doing and saying children-like things in the towns.  Skyrim makes it's world feel like a living and breathing place more than any other RPG I can recall.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 11 Nov 2011, 09:15 »

I have never played any of the Elder Scroll games. Fantasy settings really have incredible low appeal to me. I did enjoy FO:NV to a great extent, though I always seem to lose interest a bit too quick in games that does not contain a strong strategy game type element. :(

Maybe I will get Skyrim when it goes on sale on Steam or something...

Almost every New Vegas game mechanic is present in this game.

...which made figuring out lockpicking pretty easy.  :)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #41 on: 11 Nov 2011, 11:25 »

So I've got a companion that you lot probably have, the elf from Riverwood.

Anyway, we came across a nice view on a ledge overlooking a lot of Skyrim...the NPC goes "Wow...would you look at that..."

Then, we come across a cave and he goes "There's a cave here...think we should check it out?"

So good.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #42 on: 11 Nov 2011, 11:44 »

So while I'm getting ready to install it, can anyone give me any more idea how it will run off minimum requirements? What sorts of graphics settings can I expect to push with the following:

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
XFX nForce 680i LT
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @2.40GHz
nVIDIA geForce 9800 GT (2GB)
4GB RAM

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #43 on: 11 Nov 2011, 13:12 »

anyone playing this on the PS3? if so, how is it on that?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 11 Nov 2011, 13:27 »

While I'm far from as acerbic on the matter of consoles when it comes to these 'lighter' games which doesn't rely as hard on the control scheme, I still can't fathom playing this on a console. Why? It's a freakin' Elder Scrolls game. You can finish the entire game ten times over, and then STILL have hundreds of hours of playtime through the sheer number of mods and addons people will make through the PC devkit.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23