Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the ISHAEKA Reports warned about the Sansha Nation Incursions possiblily occuring.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 47605 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #60 on: 11 Nov 2011, 21:11 »

Honestly... they're not that bad. The only issue I've had with the menus/inventories is that sometimes it appears the mouse pointer doesn't recognize the areas it can activate. That is most likely a scaling issue between different resolutions, which is relatively common in a lot of these games.

Now, let's talk negative stuff about the game. It's important in order to avoid JUST overhyping it:

* You still look ridiculous when jumping and running in third person view. The combat and stuff looks great, but those two still look like shit.
* For some reason this game has inherited something from former Bethesda games. CTDs with no error message. Use the quicksave. Alot.
* Over my 15 hours (so far) I've seen two creatures 'fall through the world' when dying. Both were mudcrabs. Annoying that it still happens.
* I have seen a wolf do a handstand. Well, pawstand. Much rarer than Fallout3/NV though. Impossible to completely avoid I guess.
* Companions are a bloody nuisance at times. Most times, in fact. I've started using them as disposable distractions/decoys while I line up killshots. They'll trigger floortraps INCESSANTLY and never bloody learn where you DON'T want to step. I.E the same fucking trap ntheen times.

That's pretty much it, so far. I couldn't find anything else to bitch about. I think the game looks absolutely -stunning- graphics wise. (Yes, there's shitty textures some places, but considering just how much of the world is rendered at once depending on where you are, I can bloody understand that.) The vistas are gorgeous and the world is marvelously designed to really feel alive, rugged and real. There's real lives going on in the villages and the NPCs have so far -never- given me the multiple voices in one conversation thing from Oblivion, and I've yet to hear the same voice actor talk to him/herself.

The most amazing thing is how they react to the world changing. Immediate changes like a dragon killed in/near town will cause a flock of them to come admire you and the kill. Smaller events will be reacted to as well. You'll be shown to your room in some inns, quest npcs will guide you where you need to go and everything just feels right.

Once I've played a for a few more days, I'll try to get some mini-reviews up of the various faction questlines. I've finished the Dark Brotherhood one so far (except it doesn't 'end' as such. You apparently get almost infinite kill contracts afterwards, but they're not exactly 'epic' in nature.) and will be going for more.

Oh, and dragons. You'll just -never- find it getting old to stab them in the face with daggers, or whatever killing method you prefer.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #61 on: 11 Nov 2011, 22:19 »

Okay, wtf.  I can't walk 30 feet outside a town without getting attacked by a random dragon, and the fuckers massacre me.  WTF!

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #62 on: 11 Nov 2011, 22:29 »

I will "acquire" the game next week.  :twisted:

The magic effects look nice form what i saw on videos.

You know, normally this sort of thing doesn't bother me, but this game is so fucking good that it makes me rage that I have to subsidize the cost of people like you pirating it by paying full price for it. 

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #63 on: 11 Nov 2011, 23:52 »

Okay, wtf.  I can't walk 30 feet outside a town without getting attacked by a random dragon, and the fuckers massacre me.  WTF!

When you hear it coming, crouch and take cover.

They'll pass.

If you're in a big fight with 10 people, however, they love to stop in and and go nuts on everyone at once.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #64 on: 12 Nov 2011, 00:21 »

When you hear it coming, crouch and take cover.

They'll pass.

If you're in a big fight with 10 people, however, they love to stop in and and go nuts on everyone at once.

Noted.  I'll give that a shot. 

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #65 on: 12 Nov 2011, 02:28 »

While we're handing out advice, anyone around that can explain how the stealth killing system works?

I've been testing it out all day, and it seems like half the time I successfully sneak up behind someone, hit the attack button and my Nord does a nasty throat-slitting animation that insta-kills the opponent. The other half of the time, he does a regular attack, or the enemy turns around and starts smacking me in the face with a broadsword. The sneak was successful, the actual kill just doesn't seem to register.

What I have so far is that the stealth kill doesn't work while the target is moving, regardless of their rank, hp, what have you. Enemy rank also seems to play a role, which is pretty difficult to gauge. I can't know what rank the target is until its already too late, it seems. :/
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #66 on: 12 Nov 2011, 02:37 »

I've also been trying to discover the key to 'execution' style attacks.

I'll let you know.

EDIT: Apparently you can't force them to appear. They will most often occur on the last chunk of health on the last enemy in an encounter, and are solely included to add cinematic flair. However, doing a full power attack (hold mouse) seems to make them happen a bit more often.
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2011, 02:42 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #67 on: 12 Nov 2011, 03:19 »

I've also been trying to discover the key to 'execution' style attacks.

I'll let you know.

EDIT: Apparently you can't force them to appear. They will most often occur on the last chunk of health on the last enemy in an encounter, and are solely included to add cinematic flair. However, doing a full power attack (hold mouse) seems to make them happen a bit more often.

Well, there's two of the "cinematics," one is as you said the result of an enemy being finished off. Those, I've seen, and I've assumed them to be random. The stealth-based one is the one I'm unable to pin down.

Those last-chunk-of-health kills are pretty epic though. Lifted someone off the ground with my daggers once. O_O

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #68 on: 12 Nov 2011, 03:28 »

Why does everyone ask me if I'm feeling okay or tell me I look worse than they feel or that I need to sleep when I just slept for 12 hours? 

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #69 on: 12 Nov 2011, 03:34 »

I will "acquire" the game next week.  :twisted:

The magic effects look nice form what i saw on videos.

You know, normally this sort of thing doesn't bother me, but this game is so fucking good that it makes me rage that I have to subsidize the cost of people like you pirating it by paying full price for it.

You know, I don't really pirate games anymore. I usually just wait games to hit a Steam sale or something if they're not directly relevant to my interests. I wasn't going to bother pirating this one either, I was going to wait it to hit a sale. But now, I'm going to pirate this. Just for you.   :yar:

I think I'll even play a thief.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #70 on: 12 Nov 2011, 04:32 »

Why does everyone ask me if I'm feeling okay or tell me I look worse than they feel or that I need to sleep when I just slept for 12 hours?

You have a disease.  ;)

Take a potion soon (cure disease) or eventually you'll start to get 'effects'.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #71 on: 12 Nov 2011, 06:04 »

Yeah, the dumbass I am just thought it was related to how I decided my character should look in the beginning. Took quite a lot of gametime before I discovered that I had a -25% to one-handed damage effect on me, which explained a LOT. Anyway, as for the stealth kill animation, I'm honestly unsure. Step one is to NOT power attack, I've found. When I power attack, I -never- get the stealth kill animation. You don't need the power attack bonus anyway, since with the right perks and gear (Dark Brotherhood gloves which doubles backstab damage, some of the sneak stuff) you can do a full 30x damage attack from stealth. The second condition is, I believe, that the attack -will- result in a kill. If not, you just get a normal animation. I have done them on moving targets, so that's not important I think.

Oh, and not to insult your intelligence or anything, but are you sure you're not touching them before you attack? I've found that the player collision box is slightly larger than expected if you're playing a small-frame character.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #72 on: 12 Nov 2011, 06:50 »

* Louella Dougans ponders adding Skyrim to the list of games she's purchased but hasn't found time yet to actually play...
\o/

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #73 on: 12 Nov 2011, 13:47 »

Oh, and not to insult your intelligence or anything, but are you sure you're not touching them before you attack? I've found that the player collision box is slightly larger than expected if you're playing a small-frame character.

Definitely not an insult, I took that into account too. I've tested with staying just behind the target, and actually touching them. It seems, and this is purely conjecture, that my best results came from hitting the attack button while moving towards the target, just before I would touch them if I kept moving forward... something like momentum, I guess.

Either way, when it happens, its OSSUM. Took out two guards in the same room and they never heard it. I'm only level 10! Who says Nords can't sneak? >:3

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #74 on: 12 Nov 2011, 14:51 »

Visually, it's stunning.

The combat mechanics are sweet.

However, the UI and menus system are a REALLY SHIT port from console, and take a lot away from what would have been an awesome game.

Disappointed personally.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23