Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That cleaner bombs can remove small messes, including lingering aromas?(The Burning Life p 33)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 47524 times)

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
Skyrim
« on: 09 Nov 2011, 16:10 »

Skyrim is almost upon us, then. Who is looking forward to it? Who has it pre-ordered? Who is filled with scathing contempt for all things Elder Scrolls and/or Bethesda?

Personally, I had it pre-ordered through Steam at the first opportunity. Notwithstanding Minecraft, this is 2011's other game as far as I'm concerned. Deus Ex: Human Revolution in case you're wondering.

There is a sense that over the years, there has been something of a retrospective backlash against Oblivion. People that oohed and maybe aahed over the pretty sandbox they had to play in started to remember only the absurd levelling system or the repetitive Oblivion gates. Me? I hated some of the flaws and I was disappointed that it wasn't visually interesting as Morrowind, but overall I loved Oblivion and I'm not jumping on the fashionable cynicism bandwagon. Besides, things that annoyed in the first playthrough were quickly solved by the abundant mods. It was a game that I came back to over and over, and only the Football Manager / Championship Manager series, Eve, or Frontier: Elite II are ahead in terms the sheer number of hours invested.

When it comes to Skyrim, I just hope that it lives up to expectations. I hope it hasn't been dumbed down too much to cater even further to the apparent needs of the drooling console-gaming masses. I hope that the game works out of the box so we don't have to wait for those first few mods to remove the most flagrant annoyances. I hope that infinite dragons aren't as bad as they sound. I hope that I find a world that I can spend some quality escapist time in. I hope I have some stories to tell.

Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #1 on: 09 Nov 2011, 16:17 »

Preordered. Set aside a good chunk of time for it.

From what I've heard, it'll be a much better game than Oblivion, but with the Dragon stuff I'm slightly concerned that my preferred playstyle in Oblivion is going to be nigh worthless when facing off against Dragons. Still, everything indicates that this will be a game that beats Oblivion with ease and will probably be similar to Oblivion/Fallout3/Fallout:NV in sheer amount of time spent playing. I have hundreds of hours in -each- of those games, and I very much doubt Skyrim will disappoint in that regard.

And for the love of Slaanesh, have you SEEN how awesome Dunmer look now? Not to mention Khajiit and lizards. Still... there's bloody lizard tits in the game. That's going to bug the fuck out of me no matter how awesome the rest of the game is.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #2 on: 09 Nov 2011, 16:51 »

Still... there's bloody lizard tits in the game. That's going to bug the fuck out of me no matter how awesome the rest of the game is.

Huh. Yeah. That is weird, come to think of it. Shouldn't Argonians lay eggs? Or something? :s
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 09 Nov 2011, 17:01 »

They do. In Morrowind they didn't have jubblies if memory serves, but at some point during Oblivion's development someone decided Lizard Tits was the way to go, even with lizard egglayers. Bleh.

DA5UN

• Wetgraver
  • Even drones can fly away
« Reply #4 on: 09 Nov 2011, 17:03 »

Pre-ordered, looking forward to the lack of a class system. Whether or not my character will be able to handle dragons is not a problem, if my expectations are right I should hopefully just be able to run away.

And you can bet I'll just run away.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #5 on: 09 Nov 2011, 17:04 »

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #6 on: 09 Nov 2011, 17:12 »

I have it pre-ordered and pre-downloaded.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #7 on: 09 Nov 2011, 17:15 »

I'm definitely looking forward to it, but I haven't pre-ordered.

Think I'll try a gnarly and brutish Orc for my first play through.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 09 Nov 2011, 17:18 »

Another one of these threads I see.  :lol:

I literally fell off my chair laughing at the end. That may very well be one of the finest pieces of internets funny I have seen in ages.
Great quality on the song and animation too.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 09 Nov 2011, 17:57 »

I will not play it, I am not fond of Elder Scrolls. And more generally of sandbox solo RPGs (yeah, as weird as it sounds, I play MMOs for the sandbox aspect, and solo RPG for their linear and immersive story).

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 09 Nov 2011, 18:56 »

Oblivion kept my loyalty over Morrowind by being fantastic in the main areas I bought the game for: ARCHERY! Plus ALCHEMICAL POISON MAKING! Plus STEALTH!

Elven arrows, fletched with eagle feathers, arcing silently out from hidden nooks, their bladed broadheads sticky with homemade death in a variety of exciting elemental and non-elemental flavors....

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Ahem. Yes, obvious Dark Brotherhood fanboy here. The Morag Tong just didn't do it for me, sorry.

My primary concern with Skyrim, aside from the lurking dread that it's going to secretly bite rocks, is the loss of the "jump" skill. I'll admit it was easily abused level up-wise....

"I'll just, you know, skip all the way from Bravil to Anvil. In full plate. Because that makes total sense. La! [clank] La la![clank clank] La lalalalala.... [clank clankity clank clank]."

However, it also made lightly-equipped wire-fu characters possible, especially in Morrowind, where it really got ludicrous. Even in Oblivion, the Shivering Isles expansion, otherwise mediocre, was brilliant if you packed light, maximized Jump, and took shameless advantage of the unorthodox terrain. Giant roots became bridges, walls became walkways, and many a dungeon became an exercise in puzzle-solving rather than a mere collection of hack-and-slash encounters.

Hell, for that matter, Oblivion gates handled as wire-fu stealth/speed runs turned from repetitive, monotonous slogs into lightning-quick exercises in tactics, timing, and judicious use of your few precious invisibility potions (leveling up Illusion so as to have Invisibility on tap is, I assert, strictly for game-breaking pansies) that could be finished in minutes and handed you, over time and at random, some of the most powerful magical effects in the game courtesy of your rapidly-accumulating collection of Transcendent Sigil Stones.

Ah, vividly do I remember sheltering temporarily on a narrow ledge, leaped to in desperation to escape the throng of fearsome Daedra, mad with blood-lust on the walkway far above-- then dropping, silent as a leaf, back into the corridors of the black-walled citadel to make my cautious way back past the frustrated horrors that had so nearly torn me limb from agonized limb....

*sniff* Skyrim is losing one of my favorite skills.

Still, looking forward to it, and have it on pre-order. Will be playing a Wood Elf archer/assassin, most likely. I may even play a guy, now that Wood Elf males no longer look like slightly-oversized hobbits.
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2011, 19:10 by Aria Jenneth »

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #11 on: 09 Nov 2011, 18:59 »

* Seriphyn will not be using fast travel

That is all.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 09 Nov 2011, 19:07 »

* Seriphyn will not be using fast travel

That is all.

Neither will I-- if, and only if, Skyrim does not suffer from an Oblivion-style area-transition memory leak. A walk in that game from Anvil to the Imperial City could bring my poor PS3 to its knees.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 09 Nov 2011, 19:12 »

Speaking of characters... I will of course be playing my Dunmer Mizhara for the Dark Brotherhood (They'd damn well better have added the Dark Brotherhood to Skyrim, god damnit!) with her sneaky archery and throatslitting (yes, they've added throatslitting if you can sneak up on someone), but I've also played with the idea of actually making a god damned Viking Warrior for once.

It's something I always intend to do in a lot of games, but it always deteriorates into a sneaky ranged killer for the most part. I can't help it, it's how I play these games. I avoid direct confrontation at all costs if I can instead horribly murder someone from stealth. (Horribly murdering people is what I do in these games. Never at any point will you find me doing a pacifist run in any game. They're my release, as it were.)

In this game I just might do it. My viking ancestry practically demands it in this game.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 09 Nov 2011, 19:19 »

Do like throat-slitting.

... Must have arrows, though. Lots and lots of arrows. And poison.

(I have never been able to walk away from this formula for very long in Oblivion, and I've sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours into that damn game.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23