Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That there are minmatar who willingly serve the Amarr empire? More here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 47589 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #15 on: 09 Nov 2011, 20:17 »

In this game I just might do it. My viking ancestry practically demands it in this game.

This might explain why, while I did allways find the 'stealthy sniper from 200 miles off' type of killer interesting, the true passion was the in-your-face melee killer approach - mostly by going all-out heavy armor heavy weapon assault and massacre my way to victory, or the agile I-rely-on-skill-to-whoop-your-ass sword fighter style.

This hardly ever fail, if the game supports it - Warriors/Paladin's in WoW, cruel Federation-aligned blaster-boats in EVE, soldier/vanguard in ME2, etc, etc.

There is just something about the blood-soaked melee fighter apprach that I adore with a passion. Having said that, I've not pre-purchased this game - I'm entierly convinced this game will not run on anything even remotely top-of-the-line graphics on this PC, so I'll wait a few months until I have enough funding to purchase my next, updated gaming PC. THEN we're talking 'kill them with the sword'. Finally, the only way this game can 'fail' me personally is if it has the same horrible flaw as Oblivion had - NPCs don't follow your level, enemies does. So you ens up with weak NPC allies that die very easilly and you fight the horde solo, a near impossible prospect in some cases. They fix this, and it will all be good, afaic.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #16 on: 09 Nov 2011, 20:18 »

Must not play heavily-armoured swordfighter with healing ability, must not play heavily-armoured swordfighter with healing ability, must not play heavily-armoured swordfighter with healing ability...

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 09 Nov 2011, 20:54 »

Finally, the only way this game can 'fail' me personally is if it has the same horrible flaw as Oblivion had - NPCs don't follow your level, enemies does.

Enemy "level-up" is done Fallout-style. Don't know about allies.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #18 on: 09 Nov 2011, 21:17 »

I'll be playing a wizard first time through, as I always do.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #19 on: 09 Nov 2011, 21:38 »

Sneaky archer assassin. All day ere'day, baby. \o/

Y'all ain't gonna see much of me for a time after the 11th. :O
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Vikarion

« Reply #20 on: 09 Nov 2011, 22:27 »

So, am I the only one who always goes for pure magic?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 09 Nov 2011, 23:13 »

Hmm...I'm not a fan of making multiple characters (I just want one char to immerse myself in the world with, with no repetition). But if you go pure one thing, you cut yourself off from experiencing other things, like cool magic effects or melee finishers etc

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 09 Nov 2011, 23:26 »

So, am I the only one who always goes for pure magic?

"Always?" Maybe. You had to be a bit of a masochist to do that in Morrowind, and the prerequisite for doing pure magic (for long) in Oblivion was a desire to feel like a god for extended periods of time (albeit, unless you played a sorcerer-type w/ heavy armor, a god made out of paper mache').

Eventually, collecting artifact staves and playing the "zorch" game got a little old for me.

"Zorch, you're a goblin. Zorch, you've got a corrupted clone. Zorch, there's a daedra right behind you (no, really). Zorch, you're both paralyzed and literally freezing to death. Zorch, you're running amok while on fire. Oops-- you died. Zorch, you're undead."

Staves of heinousness aside, Illusion and Destruction are two schools of magic that do not belong on the same character. (How can something so right feel so wrong? Easy: they make the game a cakewalk.)

Edit:

Though there was a worse combination: Illusion and Conjuration-- especially if you had the difficulty cranked.

"Yikes! Okay, Mr. Shambles, you shrugged off my fireball with hardly a flinch. Um. Here, how about some clannfears (aka velociraptors)?  Their stats got cranked right alongside yours, by the way. Have fun. I'll be over here. Just ... come on over when you're done with the infinite number I can summon, one at a time. I'll be easy to pick out; I'm the one who's invisible."

Further edit:

Add onto that the fact that conjuration spells do not cast a hell of a lot of light and consequently are perfect for characters with high Sneak ...

... and that the aforementioned clannfears have the senses of a goddamned bloodhound ...

"Hm. A labyrinth full of necromancers, undead minions lurking in every nook. I'll just find a shady corner-- ah, there we go. Summon...." [weird magical chiming swoosh, clannfear-whistle, clickclickclick *SKLORCH!* clickclickclick *SKLORCH!* clickclick *SKLORCH!* rattle *SKLORCH!* clickclick swoosh, clannfear-dying-rattle] "... And again, summon...."

Wash, rinse, repeat, until all enemies are prostrate upon the ground and the clannfear is standing in front of you looking like it wants a doggie biscuit.... Which you will provide, if you're smart. Or else wait another ten seconds for the spell to run out. It's less troublesome to keep hidden with than freaking Illusion, which is the school that makes you invisible.

... God, I love/hate mages in Oblivion.

Even further edit:

Oh, yeah, and Mr. Replete Shambles, who I mentioned just now? Dude likely worthy of multiple clannfears (a fairly impressive feat in and of itself)?... Yeah, you can summon him, too.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2011, 00:12 by Aria Jenneth »

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 10 Nov 2011, 11:28 »

Apparently, melee still has the same problems as Oblivion, in not feeling like it connects fully when you strike.

Mm...after obsessing over Witcher 2, I think I'll go for a lightly-armoured, sword-wielding magic-user.

How pure warriors survive without restoration is beyond me!

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #24 on: 10 Nov 2011, 11:53 »

ROFL Aria, did I say I love you yet? Because you had me in stitches. Mostly because that's just how I think about things too. And we enjoy playing similarly, as well, it seems.

Skyrim pre-loaded on Steam. 5 hours to go. Glad I live in the EU :D And GMT+1, so got an edge on the UK too~~~ Super jelly of the Ausies who are playing already.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #25 on: 10 Nov 2011, 12:12 »

I await the day when mods are released where I can play my glorious cat girl custom race frightening dragon true born eldritch horror lich characters with retextured EVEN HIGHER DEF armor. I'm looking at you, custom Glass Armor from Oblivion.

I'm vaguely annoyed at the menu system, but I'll wait to play before I devolve into a racist spewing mass of vulgar hatred for consoles critic.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Aracturus

• Probably up to no good.
  • Clonejack
  • Stop looking at my junk you pervert!
« Reply #26 on: 10 Nov 2011, 13:34 »

T-10 hours, 27 minutes here in Austin....

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 10 Nov 2011, 14:42 »

I await the day when mods are released where I can play my glorious cat girl custom race frightening dragon true born eldritch horror lich characters with retextured EVEN HIGHER DEF armor. I'm looking at you, custom Glass Armor from Oblivion.

I'm vaguely annoyed at the menu system, but I'll wait to play before I devolve into a racist spewing mass of vulgar hatred for consoles critic.

Silver emailed me.  Said he got an early copy.  Already level 8.  I doubt you will ever catch him now...
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #28 on: 10 Nov 2011, 15:13 »

I started playing at midnight AU time last night. Being that I had to work I only played for an hour, but my Breton mage is coming along nicely.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #29 on: 10 Nov 2011, 16:12 »

My system only barely meets the system requirements.

With Oblivion, that meant the game will start, but didn't mean you could play it.

Bleh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23