Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Blood Raiders are part of an ancient cultist faction called Sani Sabik, which first appeared on Amarr Prime thousands of years ago? Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: [Devblog] The Nation Strikes Back  (Read 11678 times)

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
Re: [Devblog] The Nation Strikes Back
« Reply #30 on: 10 Nov 2010, 18:18 »

Hmm nothing specifically for Sansha loyalists there? Hopefully later if not now.

Here's to hoping. Hell getting tasked with preparing a system for an Incursion would fit the MO of a special forces task group rather than a main combat force. Ah, I can dream.

Curious to see how effective the new Sansha NPCs are, especially difficult feats such as stealth bomber piloting.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #31 on: 10 Nov 2010, 18:22 »

So CCP got impatient, and now they're gonna force me to care about the Sansha problem.

Awesome. -_-
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #32 on: 10 Nov 2010, 18:32 »

CCP: Forcing players to deal with NPC incursions they couldn't care less about (because we have real players to fight, you see) in space they pay for.

From EVE-O forums, what do people think of this?

Random Lost Soul

« Reply #33 on: 10 Nov 2010, 18:40 »

CCP: Forcing players to deal with NPC incursions they couldn't care less about (because we have real players to fight, you see) in space they pay for.

I second this following opinion, also from the EVE-O forums:
Quote from: CCP Soundwave
Regarding wanting to contribute:

I’m not a big fan on instances or “artificial” game environments, where you can opt out. Incursions are made in a manner that they’re a part of the landscape and part of the living, breathing universe EVE is. There is no instant dungeon finder here; there is no flagging to participate, this is the world you’re in and there is no promise or guarantee that it’s friendly. Just like you can get killed in pretty much all areas of space by players, get locked out of your station in 0.0 or wardecced, you’ll also run into areas under Sansha siege. When that happens, you can chose to fight back (and make a good chunk of cash on the way), or flee the area till the siege is over. That’s EVE, it’s not always a very nice place.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #34 on: 10 Nov 2010, 18:47 »

The other factions save the Angels are historically played up just fine with the history of events and AURORA storylines

Do you mean in terms of PF development or in terms of publicity? Because I'd suggest that AURORA has almost no relevance anymore, considering (a) how long ago it occurred and (b) the low population of active pilots who participated in those events.

Wasn't there quite a bit of mention elsewhere of other factions getting in on the incursion action eventually?

Yes. Like everything else they've implemented and promised to "make awesome" someday.  :evil:

Dex_Kivuli

• Dex 2.11b
  • Egger
« Reply #35 on: 10 Nov 2010, 19:18 »

Hmm nothing specifically for Sansha loyalists there? Hopefully later if not now.

So these new and scary Sansha NPCs are gonna be hammering Ghost and Izzy just as hard as they'll be hammering me?

I'm not sure if I'd want it any different, since pirates would no doubt exploit if for the tears... but it's an interesting thought.

Edit: Sansha supercarrier BPC should also appear in the Sansha LP store if you ask me.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #36 on: 10 Nov 2010, 19:21 »

So these new and scary Sansha NPCs are gonna be hammering Ghost and Izzy just as hard as they'll be hammering me?

I'm not sure if I'd want it any different, since pirates would no doubt exploit if for the tears... but it's an interesting thought.

Edit: Sansha supercarrier BPC should also appear in the Sansha LP store if you ask me.

Yup. If the feature existed, it would obviously have anti-exploitation designs put in. For example, nullifying any rewards for those registered as Sansha immune from the CONCORD stuff. If you got anything, it would be from the Sansha for your support.

That's one way I would envision it at least.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 10 Nov 2010, 20:12 »

Fix #1: Reward those who have positive Sansha standing with mechanics similar to to FW NPCs - they don't shoot at those with sufficient standing.  This lets the Nation-supporters add to the chaos/threat of incursions.

It doesn't actually force participation.

Mission Runners who just wants to run missions all day long? Setup two bases in different constellations, but same Empire/region.  Incursion happens, fly for 10 minutes to your other base.

Traders who are moving goods?  Transport Ships, possibly Blockade Runners (which anyone worried about wardecs/camps is doing already).

PvPers?  Everyone in the system is affected the same, non-issue.

The impacts are not going to force many people out of their play modes.

So, the only folks impacted are those trying to bring capital ships into the system.  hmmm... those with capital ships have lots of ISK.

A group of players might set-up a Sansha killing merc corp:
Basic Contract
- Set Blue
- Retain Loot
- After X days, merc corp pays 2m/day for being unsuccessful in driving off Nation suppression.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #38 on: 10 Nov 2010, 20:34 »

...the Blood Raiders aren't really applicable for anyone but the Amarr...
They like capsuleer and clone blood. Which they get "throughout Amarr space and far beyond."
The other factions save the Angels are historically played up just fine with the history of events and AURORA storylines
Do you mean in terms of PF development or in terms of publicity? Because I'd suggest that AURORA has almost no relevance anymore, considering (a) how long ago it occurred and (b) the low population of active pilots who participated in those events.
It's a thread about a devblog, newbie :P I'm discussing the developers' perspective insofar as I understand it from years of crushing disappointment. Which means operating on what has been observed of the sort of economy of promises and market responses they seem to operate on, hence the inquiry about the (promised) blooder incursions.

I find when you look at their perspective in relation to their most pandered-to customer demographic, things start to make a different kind of sense.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2010, 21:38 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

Zag

« Reply #39 on: 10 Nov 2010, 20:54 »

My only concern would be: Is this another FW in the making? Because it appears like CCP making another grand and sweeping gesture in the storyline promising fundamental changes in the hierarchy of New Eden which is engaging and supported for perhaps six months only for it to be dropped for the next "Oh shiny" project in the pipeline as the folks responsible give each other high-fives and a slap on the back for a job well done.

Then a year or two down the track, what then?

Looks like Nation has started another Incursion ad infinitum and instead of a participatory storyline it becomes essentially, "Farm LP and Sansha supercarrier bpcs" much the same as FW for the most part has degraded into "Farm the Militia LP Store."

That, more than anything would be disappointing and it's starting to look like it might be the case as the storyline behind the Nation arc is now going to be tied into the game mechanics of incursions. So what about the people that invested and tied themselves into the Nation arc, are they just going to be left hanging without any form of progression or resolutions much the same as FW participants?

Dex_Kivuli

• Dex 2.11b
  • Egger
« Reply #40 on: 10 Nov 2010, 22:48 »

Stuff

I suppose this mechanic can lead to broader uses. Just because it's Sansha now, doesn't mean it always will be. Maybe they'll decrease the frequency, and extend it to other pirate factions. (e.g. Guristas taking a system in Forge). Just tie it to the default NPCs for the region.

If this stops getting love, I see it as just becoming a slightly larger version of "Ooo... Sansha's spawned in my belt".

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #41 on: 11 Nov 2010, 06:33 »

My only concern would be: Is this another FW in the making? Because it appears like CCP making another grand and sweeping gesture in the storyline promising fundamental changes in the hierarchy of New Eden which is engaging and supported for perhaps six months only for it to be dropped for the next "Oh shiny" project in the pipeline as the folks responsible give each other high-fives and a slap on the back for a job well done.

Then a year or two down the track, what then?

Looks like Nation has started another Incursion ad infinitum and instead of a participatory storyline it becomes essentially, "Farm LP and Sansha supercarrier bpcs" much the same as FW for the most part has degraded into "Farm the Militia LP Store."

That, more than anything would be disappointing and it's starting to look like it might be the case as the storyline behind the Nation arc is now going to be tied into the game mechanics of incursions. So what about the people that invested and tied themselves into the Nation arc, are they just going to be left hanging without any form of progression or resolutions much the same as FW participants?

All of this. ALLLLL of this...

One thing I was excited about was the prospect of systems that are inhabited by local FW militia suddenly come under an attack by Nation. At which point I'd be like "ooo, alright come on guys, let's take this down".

HOWEVER, what WILL happen is that the big nullsec alliances will cyno in, hog the incursion site, and force us militia peeps to dock up.

Given the prospect of a Sansha supercarrier BPC, I see absolutely no opportunities for the militia to jump on in to an incursion that WON'T be gatecrashed by a nullsec alliance.

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #42 on: 11 Nov 2010, 06:40 »

HOWEVER, what WILL happen is that the big nullsec alliances will cyno in, hog the incursion site, and force us militia peeps to dock up.

Quote from: The Nation Strikes Back
In addition, systems invaded by Sanshas will receive certain system wide effects that affect all players inside them:

Jamming of cynosural fields throughout the system

Now, I don't have any experience with capital ships at all, but that sounds like gatecrashing should be a non-issue.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #43 on: 11 Nov 2010, 07:21 »

I don't see how it makes other "pirate" factions look weak.

After all, they regularly launch huge invasions of highsec space. Every day.
\o/

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #44 on: 11 Nov 2010, 08:27 »

I really like how the feature does not have an opt out.

The Incursions are part of New Eden. If you are in the particular system, you are affected and cant just ignore them and carry on like it was not happening at all.

FW is an opt in system, and without actually opting in the whole FW has ZERO impact on you game at all, besides perhaps some extra faction ships avalible in Jita. Having zero effect on players who dont opt into FW, or on the enviroment in general, is what makes FW weak in my opinion.

So +1 for adding to the sandbox with this feature.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6