Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That PIE capsuleers do not only supply their comrades with spiced wine, but also with dark, maltey ale and fine brandy from their planetside holdings?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: [Devblog] The Nation Strikes Back  (Read 11680 times)

Hamish Grayson

Re: [Devblog] The Nation Strikes Back
« Reply #75 on: 20 Nov 2010, 14:41 »

However, they are following it because it's making blizzard a crap load of money.

:)

www.eveonline.com

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #76 on: 20 Nov 2010, 18:58 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBp0FDfMXj0&feature=related

Jump to about 5:20 and listen to CCP Manticore describe how to beat this boss fight and then go watch a WoW Raid.   Even the people in fleet chat are claiming it's just like Wow.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #77 on: 20 Nov 2010, 19:30 »

So there are two separate issues here that we shouldn't conflate.

The first issue is whether the narrative structure of the trailer (and the themes of the expansion) imitate WoW and Starcraft. In particular, I understand that you propose that CCP imitates Blizzard in that a threatening menace has returned to destroy the world, and that the heroes (players) must stand against the menace when everyone else flees. If I've misunderstood, I apologize and really would like you to correct my restatement.

The second issue is whether the gameplay of defeating incursions resembles a WoW raid (or, more properly, dungeon fight / boss fight). The PvE mechanics require cooperation, including healing/logistics, DPS, and tactics to make the boss/mothership vulnerable for short periods of time. If you see other similarities, I'd be interested in hearing about those, too.

Assuming I understand these two issues properly, then it seems that you conclude that CCP wants to imitate Blizzard so as to make the game more WoW-like overall? Do I have that right?

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth at all, just to make sure I'm following your line of reasoning. :)

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #78 on: 20 Nov 2010, 20:06 »

That sounds about right :)  Granted it's more than likely not an intentional thing as much as the new blood they are hiring only know mimic WoW.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2010, 20:19 by Hamish Grayson »

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #79 on: 20 Nov 2010, 20:46 »

CCP should hire the Izzeh instead.  I will rawk their sawks awf.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #80 on: 20 Nov 2010, 20:49 »

You have my vote.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #81 on: 20 Nov 2010, 21:08 »

There's a proposal on which Hamish and I would fully agree. :)

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #82 on: 21 Nov 2010, 03:39 »

I am a bit meh about what feels like introducing The Evil into EVE. One of the major upsides of EVE's story so far (to me) has been that there is no clear good and evil, but rather separate shades of mostly fairly dark grey. But I am still traumatized by what the Shadowlands did to the background of Anarchy Online, so I might just be paranoid here. ;)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #83 on: 21 Nov 2010, 03:50 »

In six months Incursions will probably be ignored by the majority of the population of New Eden, there will be a few corporations that specialize in them, some people that will enjoy that kind of content.

The others will keep playing their EVE as they see fit.

Thats one of the strong points of EVE, you can pick which parts of the content you interact with and stick with it.

If Incursions start actually making 'regular' EVE harder to play, it will start to cost subscriptions.

In all likelihood the income from Incursions will be so out of balance (as is with all new content that CCP seems to throw into the game) to get players that can be affected by such means to change part of their playstyle to take part in the new content.

So, first six months people will be farming shitloads of ISKies from Incursions, when CCP tunes the income into more in line with the rest of the content players will start to ignore the whole thing and later start feeling annoyed by it.

Meh.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #84 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:02 »

That's actually what I am counting for: that in all likelihood the incursions will have a small enough an effect on the game play and background story that I can freely ignore people who claim Sansha are TEH WORSEST and keep on doing what I am doing while using the incursion stuff as an occasional spice to it.

FW actually has ended up working out pretty well for me in that sense: it gives me an ongoing story that I cannot control or predict but that might for IC reasons need my reaction (again) at some point, but it does not demand that I pay full attention to only it. If it only had some, no matter how slight effect, on game play to also those who have not "opted in", I'd like it a lot. (Ok, and if the DT effect was fixered.)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]