Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Defiants were a splinter group of the Minmatar fleet that waged guerrilla war against the Amarr?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Let there be WAR!  (Read 15235 times)

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
Re: Let there be WAR!
« Reply #60 on: 02 May 2012, 01:34 »

:yar:
War... War is good.

John your not happy unless you have at least half of the cluster to shoot at.

Hey hey now.. wait one second! I can settle for a quarter.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #61 on: 02 May 2012, 04:15 »

:yar:
War... War is good.

John your not happy unless you have at least half of the cluster to shoot at.

Hey hey now.. wait one second! I can settle for a quarter.

"Sir we're surrounded."
"Good, that means we can shoot in any direction!"

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #62 on: 02 May 2012, 06:04 »

"Sir we're surrounded."

Confirming John has done that during fleets.

"FUCK! They got a warp-in on us!"
"Good, that means you can tackle them! SPREAD POINTS SPREAD POINTS"
"Dude we're Tier 3 snipers!!"
"SPREAD PPOOOOIIINNTTS!!!"

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #63 on: 02 May 2012, 06:17 »

"Sir we're surrounded."

Confirming John has done that during fleets.

"FUCK! They got a warp-in on us!"
"Good, that means you can tackle them! SPREAD POINTS SPREAD POINTS"
"Dude we're Tier 3 snipers!!"
"SPREAD PPOOOOIIINNTTS!!!"

I may have just died laughing.
<3 I-RED

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #64 on: 02 May 2012, 10:44 »

You, yes, YOU, dear reader, can start helping now! Despise thy neighbor! Covet his belongings and envy his successes! Speak bitterly, with barbed and envenomed tongue! Denounce the voices of "moderation" or "tolerance" as fools and traitors! (Remember-- failure by another to make war upon a hated enemy is itself cause to make war!) Become a beacon of entrenched hate and lasting ill-will for your community!

The atrocities of tomorrow begin with you, today!

So much this.

Too often players in EVE try to play "good guys", i.e. characters they view as good.  The secret to really compelling EVE RP is trying to RP a person that your character would view as good.  (props to PIE for this, theyre by far the best at this)

I'm trying to play Gottii more and more as tribal.  Tribalism by definition is "us vs them".  Im hoping to play him as "less noble, more savage", and hoping Matari RP stays with that as well. 

Is he an honorable, "good" guy?  Sure, in his own view, which in many ways isnt mine.

You can roleplay with Barrage ammo just as easily as drinks at the bar. 

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #65 on: 02 May 2012, 10:47 »

This is pretty much what we try to do.  We are, without a doubt, antagonists.

We are also unfailingly polite.  Because thats the sort of antagonists we are.

Doesn't mean we aren't harvesting your wrecks (with all that stands to mean) for the sole purpose of Saving As Many People As Possible, And Bringing Them Into The Light Of Nation.

Basically, any time you can describe what you do in Capital Letters, It Means It Is Important (and probably not good for someone)
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #66 on: 02 May 2012, 10:55 »

Doesn't mean we aren't harvesting your wrecks (with all that stands to mean) for the sole purpose of Saving As Many People As Possible, And Bringing Them Into The Light Of Nation.

Basically, any time you can describe what you do in Capital Letters, It Means It Is Important (and probably not good for someone)

You guys are great.  Seriously.  I feel bad for not mentioning you along with PIE.  Youre on my "Mount Rushmore" of awesome EVE RP corps.

I read somewhere that "Real life is not about the good guys versus the bad guys.  Its about the bad guys versus the worse guys."

Be the bad guys!
« Last Edit: 02 May 2012, 10:57 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #67 on: 02 May 2012, 13:21 »

Well, this actually fits something I was thinking of the other day.

I dont think the best bad guys know they are bad guys.  The best bad guys are the ones convinced, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they are doing what's best with what is at hand.

So that's why I think we make awesome antagonists.  There isnt a single member of TS-F who is in Nation because we want to enslave the rest of humanity.  I honestly can't think of a single one of us who assume that we are going to be Citizens in Nation's Empire just because some of us (Kybernetes, myself, though of course Kyber has to speak himself as to his own perceptions of things) that tend to fit the profile.

What we believe is that the universe is in very imminent danger, and lo-and-behold, a man had an idea that could save it.  It requires us to say "Free will is a problem that we have to solve", but in the end we fully believe everything we do is for the good of the greatest number of human beings (and related entities) as possible.

Everyone always thinks that they are the good guys.  The trick to being good in EVE is that OOC you have to realize that no one is.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #68 on: 02 May 2012, 15:21 »

War amongst roleplaying groups would probably be a bit easier to conduct if a tacit agreement to both turn on any third parties that try to interfere could be reached.

Granted that can be a tad difficult to justify IC at times, but it's not impossible.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #69 on: 02 May 2012, 15:25 »

Everyone always thinks that they are the good guys.  The trick to being good in EVE is that OOC you have to realize that no one is.

I agree with the first half. However, just because nobody is white doesn't mean there aren't gradients* of grey. Even OOC you can think that some people are worse than others.

*Yes, pun intended
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #70 on: 02 May 2012, 16:42 »

Confirming TS-F to be the bestest, evilest moustache-twirliest, politest villans second only to Kuvakei himself. And that bitch only comes out when he can be arsed  :lol:
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #71 on: 02 May 2012, 17:50 »

War amongst roleplaying groups would probably be a bit easier to conduct if a tacit agreement to both turn on any third parties that try to interfere could be reached.

Granted that can be a tad difficult to justify IC at times, but it's not impossible.

From my point of view, unless you do have a really good IC reason, that's prioritising ~good fights~ over immersive roleplay, which is the opposite of what I'm trying to do.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #72 on: 02 May 2012, 18:12 »

From my point of view, unless you do have a really good IC reason, that's prioritising ~good fights~ over immersive roleplay, which is the opposite of what I'm trying to do.

Depends on context. Two Caldari State entities at each others' throats, especially from within the same State faction, would be relatively likely to turn on outside meddlers as one.

Me against my brother. Me and my brother against my uncle. Me, my brother, and my uncle against the stranger.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #73 on: 02 May 2012, 18:28 »

Depends on context. Two Caldari State entities at each others' throats, especially from within the same State faction, would be relatively likely to turn on outside meddlers as one.

Me against my brother. Me and my brother against my uncle. Me, my brother, and my uncle against the stranger.

Agreed.

That's one of the reasons I dislike some of the effects of FW. It feels like "me against my brother" has been suppressed by the "me and my cousin against our enemy".

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #74 on: 02 May 2012, 22:10 »

I don't think very many people in history have declared wars they thought they would lose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falklands_War

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9