Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your clones have your DNA, but not until you've been in them a while? For more information see the Cloning Scientific Article

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Let there be WAR!  (Read 15217 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Let there be WAR!
« Reply #120 on: 05 May 2012, 06:06 »

I think what Bastian tried to say is that the Gallente are not that different from Caldari or Minmatar or even Amarr when it comes to politics and diplomacy. They are all ruthless realpolitik bastards. The human right side of the Gallente is something that emerges from the masses and the population, it is deeply rooted and anchored in every mind the same way caldari honor, duty, is rooted in their minds. But that does not mean it always comes into play when external politics and diplomacy are at stake. I would even say that everything that is not really public or behind closed doors makes every faction look weirdly very similar to each other because of :pragmatism:.

Human rights are a huge fundamental part of the Gallente mindset yes, and some of their politics might still keep it into their minds of course. But I think this is mostly the sugarcoat. Everything about cultural morals/ethics are not that often mixed up with that kind of interstellar politics. It starts to get involved a lot when public opinion is itself involved. In the case of the Gallente, negociations about a territorial claim with the Caldari will probably not really involve human rights and the likes. It may be used as a side argument at some point, but when it will really be used as the spearhead of the gallente rhetoric around the matter at the table of negociations will be when public opinion will get involved. Because of populism. Because of elections. Because of political agendas related to PR.

I do not think that behind closed doors negociations with countries like China really involves human rights and stuff like that. For me it is sugarcoat.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2012, 06:08 by Lyn Farel »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #121 on: 05 May 2012, 09:11 »

Ethics is actually my field. But, whatever, I'm not derailing this thread with an argument.

Law is mine, and I can assure you that the words mean slightly different things to a lawyer-- and, I think, in common parlance.

But as you like. If you'd like to discuss it further, we can start up another thread. I'd be interested to hear whether there are any new developments in the field since I studied it myself as an undergraduate, or whether it remains stuck theorizing about the moral/ethical implications of new developments in society and banging its head against the wall of its own rules for success in defining a valid moral code.

Let me be direct: I hold certain aspects of Western moral philosophy in contempt because, while most fields have long-since recognized that the "great watchmaker" was blind, that one still thinks (or acts like it thinks) it operates in a clockwork universe. Eastern philosophy, in its various forms, is much more comfortable with moral ambiguity, and that is where my own philosophical background (to the degree that I absorbed it consciously) comes from.

I think what Bastian tried to say is that the Gallente are not that different from Caldari or Minmatar or even Amarr when it comes to politics and diplomacy. They are all ruthless realpolitik bastards. The human right side of the Gallente is something that emerges from the masses and the population, it is deeply rooted and anchored in every mind the same way caldari honor, duty, is rooted in their minds. But that does not mean it always comes into play when external politics and diplomacy are at stake. I would even say that everything that is not really public or behind closed doors makes every faction look weirdly very similar to each other because of :pragmatism:.

If that's what Bastian was trying to say, I have no quibble with that-- actually, it seems kind of obvious. Politics tends to be a ruthless business.

It is not, however, what he said. What he said was less polite.

[lots of stuff I mostly agree with]

I do not think that behind closed doors negociations with countries like China really involves human rights and stuff like that. For me it is sugarcoat.

Eh-- I think the U.S. really does tend to press China to treat its people better, and I think the Chinese officials take to this kind of pressure very poorly, in a "that's really none of your business" sort of way. When the news (NPR, BBC, etc.) mentions human rights as a diplomatic sticking point, I tend to believe it. Never underestimate the willingness of Americans to stick our well-intentioned noses into somebody else's affairs.

(Not that I believe this is always a bad thing. My basic reluctance to interfere in other cultures hits a big ol' wall when that culture is actively victimizing a segment of its population. See, e.g., honor killings in rural South Asia; the epidemic of rape in sub-Saharan Africa; Sudan, just in general; treatment of ethnic Tibetans by the majority Han Chinese government, which has recently driven the Dali Lama to despair; etc.. Just hangin' out in our supposedly great nation and letting these things happen may be politically necessary, but there's a large part of me that just doesn't sit right with.)
« Last Edit: 05 May 2012, 09:24 by Aria Jenneth »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #122 on: 05 May 2012, 10:06 »

Yes of course, there is always a question of balance... They are always tainted by their own cultures at least a bit.

Also, I was not especially refering to Americans. They almost have a culture of their own sometimes :3

Bastian Valoron

• Egger
« Reply #123 on: 05 May 2012, 11:12 »

If that's what Bastian was trying to say, I have no quibble with that-- actually, it seems kind of obvious. Politics tends to be a ruthless business.

It is not, however, what he said. What he said was less polite.
It was pretty much what I tried to say. You can't build a galactic empire in New Eden without being cold and calculating. Recently there have been a lot of attempts to portray the Caldari as some sort of Druchii of EVE and I mistook your presentation as one of those.

By re-reading your posts, I guess you were suggesting something like that the Caldari do not buy the Gallente propaganda, and vice versa, and I can't argue with that.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #124 on: 05 May 2012, 15:07 »

Some things. 

Reminds me of this.

Quote from: Lewis Carroll
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - - that's all."

What words mean is the foundation of any argument - defining the terms and assumptions upon which the game is to be played. Our definitions and assumptions are, unfortunately, different. For example, I would argue that the distinction you are making between Eastern and Western philosophy is a false one - there is only philosophy. But the disagreement would, I suspect, be one of definitions. It would be as if we were playing separate games of football on nearby fields. We'd both be scoring goals but neither of us would know about it.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #125 on: 05 May 2012, 16:54 »

It was pretty much what I tried to say. You can't build a galactic empire in New Eden without being cold and calculating. Recently there have been a lot of attempts to portray the Caldari as some sort of Druchii of EVE and I mistook your presentation as one of those.

Heh. No worries. I have a deep and long-standing love for world-building, and it's an itch I tend to indulge if I feel it needs to happen. I do tread the fine line on godmoding from time to time, but I try to make sure my conclusions are justified (and I also try to show my work, where practical).

Druchii ... those are from ... what was it, "Aeon?"

Ah-- no. The Caldari are just people, nothing so archetypal. The argument is that the Caldari are more of a cultural cross between the Russians and the Japanese, with a little Chinese and maybe some Finn thrown in for color and texture (though I'm still unclear on which bit is supposed to be Finnish). To a certain extent, they should be and are their -own- sort of culture, and it's hazardous to refer too heavily to other cultures. However, playing off and extrapolating from various known cultural traits can give us points of reference for understanding something relatively alien.

Tricky, but useful. You just have to be careful that the Caldari idea of a proper tea (and they do canonically drink it, formally even) (as a form of ordeal poisoning, even) doesn't start looking too much like a Japanese tea ceremony.

My own pet peeve in this area is suggestions that the Caldari are "space Nazis." They are not space Nazis. The Helghast (from the "Killzone" series) are space Nazis. Along this axis (no pun intended), the Caldari are, at most, space Serbs-- plenty of ethnic axes to grind, but no real insistence on "superiority," just a bunch of bad blood.

By re-reading your posts, I guess you were suggesting something like that the Caldari do not buy the Gallente propaganda, and vice versa, and I can't argue with that.

Hrrrm. I think I was suggesting more that the Gallente and Caldari each tend to believe their own propaganda.

What words mean is the foundation of any argument - defining the terms and assumptions upon which the game is to be played. Our definitions and assumptions are, unfortunately, different.

Not unfortunately: inevitably.

A word is a symbol. What the symbol means is typically a matter of common agreement, either local or general. "Local" agreement can apply a different meaning that is shared only within a select group, such as an academic field. Different fields often use similar terminology differently; when such terminology has specialized significance, we call it "jargon."

It may be that the use of "ethics" to mean something different from "morals" started out as a form of jargon. Whether that jargon was medical or legal, or something else, I really don't know. It could make an entertaining little study project.

If this use of "ethics" was at one time jargon, however, it's crept out of specialized usage into other places, including popular culture. For example:

"Let me be straight about this. I have no morals, but I do have ethics. I can't tell you everything about the work I have accepted from Dr. Kabapu, so please understand." Excel Saga, Vol. 22, pg. 19 (2011).

(This, by the way, is a manga series I recommend highly. It's superb satire, and translated so damned masterfully that I'm willing to wheel out a manga translation as an example of correct contemporary usage. It's THAT GOOD.)

For example, I would argue that the distinction you are making between Eastern and Western philosophy is a false one - there is only philosophy. But the disagreement would, I suspect, be one of definitions.

Possibly. To a degree, all distinctions between fields of thought and study are artificial. That said, the distinction here seems significant to me.

Western moral philosophy has, as I understand and see it, chosen to make a game out of generating dubious and unnecessarily limited moral codes and knocking them down with far-fetched hypotheticals. These make for some excellent jokes and some great anecdotes about things like how to disprove the validity of certain sorts of utilitarianism, but ultimately the only way to win that game is not to play.

As far as I am aware, this field of thought has yet to face, much less cope with, its permanent inability to produce workable theories of rational morality, and is therefore worse than useless, a cultural albatross. Eastern schools of thought generally do not have this problem. That one is rooted, not to say bogged down, in an outdated, mechanistic view of our existence, and the other is not, seems like a useful distinction.

It may seem very arrogant of me to condemn an entire field of thought so freely, but I have enough supposed "expertise" (and the bar card to prove it) to have a strong idea what "expertise" is and what it is worth. To be an expert is to possess a deep, detailed understanding of certain concepts and theories-- that may nevertheless be nonsense at their root. Take for example the economists who insisted before the housing crash, and, in some disturbing cases, continue to insist, that human beings make economic decisions rationally.

To me, Western philosophy, grounded as it is in false assumptions about the nature of human morality and behavior, is a doomed field. IFF it is able to let go of the idea that morality can be reasonably subjected to a logical proof, I may be willing to give it another chance.

As it is, morality appears to fall more into the domain of animal instinct than than of rational thought. The biologists and the psychologists have the ball on this one, maybe with some help from a school of philosophy that never decided that human behavior had to be logical.

It would be as if we were playing separate games of football on nearby fields. We'd both be scoring goals but neither of us would know about it.

This is fixable. It just takes some work to get everybody on the same playing field.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2012, 17:23 by Aria Jenneth »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #126 on: 05 May 2012, 17:18 »

... Plah.

Apologies for the overly-long and off-topic bit above. I really can't resist an argument on that topic; it's ... a long story.

Mammal, shall we take it to another thread?

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #127 on: 05 May 2012, 17:23 »

I was about to say, this has gone rather beyond 'lets shoot things'  :D

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Vikarion

« Reply #128 on: 05 May 2012, 17:28 »

... Plah.

Apologies for the overly-long and off-topic bit above. I really can't resist an argument on that topic; it's ... a long story.

Mammal, shall we take it to another thread?

I wish you lived near me. I'd dearly love to take you out to lunch and argue with you for a few hours. Not that I have the time for that, but still...

:P

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #129 on: 05 May 2012, 17:43 »

I was about to say, this has gone rather beyond 'lets shoot things'  :D
I wish you lived near me. I'd dearly love to take you out to lunch and argue with you for a few hours. Not that I have the time for that, but still...

... Er, yeah.

Well, what can I say: playing Aria as an enthusiastic, aggressive armchair philosopher doesn't take a lot of extra work. I can't currently take it in-character, so....

Ahem. Yeah. Gon' stop now.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #130 on: 06 May 2012, 14:58 »

It's all good. I'm sure we can pick it up some other time.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #131 on: 06 May 2012, 18:45 »

KHORNE IS NOT PLEASED WITH ALL THIS TALK OF ETHICS AND MORALITY! 

LET THERE BE WAR AND BLOOD! 

(Aldy, if you had another Khorne pic, throw it up if you would)
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Lyn Farel

« Reply #132 on: 07 May 2012, 04:40 »

This thread was Khorne tastic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]