Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Fleet Coordination Commission or FCORD was created in direct response to Nation Incursions. It main purpose is to alert of Incursions and help marshal fleets to repel them.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: "urdoinitrong"  (Read 14775 times)

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
Re: "urdoinitrong"
« Reply #60 on: 09 Jul 2012, 05:37 »

Personally I find the "normal" people the most fascinating. :oops:
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Lyn Farel

« Reply #61 on: 09 Jul 2012, 05:55 »

The line should be drawn at intention.

Unintentionally fucking up other people's RP is allright.

Intentionally trying to fuck up other people's RP is not cool.

And if you're doing it for entirely IC reasons? "You represent everything I wish to destroy in this universe. I will not attack you for this."

Wardecs are roleplay, too: so pewing somebody who represents something you oppose is a much better choice than loudly proclaiming to any and all that Character X is a sham and should be ignored, etc etc.

It depends on the character. Lyn do believe that wardecs are one of the less efficient systems to get the upper hand on someone.

What Des said too. On the IGS or in the RP world in general, the new RPers are often alts or people that are unlikely to have assets truly threatened ingame. And when they are strawman alts or disposable alts the player behind perfectly knows that he will use them as RP trolls or whatever that will make the offended other player look silly when he will start a war for nothing.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #62 on: 10 Jul 2012, 08:12 »

Living in a major U.S. City, I routinely pass by and am exposed to all manor of crazy, deranged, and 'immersion breaking' characters on nearly a daily basis.  In the subway, on the street corner, everywhere.

I imagine EVE or The Summit to be similar, except there we can 'ignore' much easier than the psychopath in the seat next to me on the subway.

IE the world of EVE is full of all sorts of people none of us would likely care to interact with, and just act accordingly if they bother you.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #63 on: 10 Jul 2012, 15:04 »

Living in a major U.S. City, I routinely pass by and am exposed to all manor of crazy, deranged, and 'immersion breaking' characters on nearly a daily basis.  In the subway, on the street corner, everywhere.

I imagine EVE or The Summit to be similar, except there we can 'ignore' much easier than the psychopath in the seat next to me on the subway.

IE the world of EVE is full of all sorts of people none of us would likely care to interact with, and just act accordingly if they bother you.

As anyone who has experience with the "unhinged" types on the subway or the street will tell you, the last thing you want to do is get into an argument or drawn out discussion with them on the inaccuracies of their ramblings :9.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #64 on: 10 Jul 2012, 15:07 »

What, you don't want to make them see how they're ruining your immersion in a post-modern urban setting?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #65 on: 10 Jul 2012, 15:15 »

As anyone who has experience with the "unhinged" types on the subway or the street will tell you, the last thing you want to do is get into an argument or drawn out discussion with them on the inaccuracies of their ramblings :9.

Hehe that's kind of what I was getting at. Maybe speak to them privately if you care that much, but easier to ignore. 

If 'urdoingitwrong' people somehow directly influences you and yours perhaps time to speak to them.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #66 on: 10 Jul 2012, 16:45 »

That's true, and I tend to stay away from the pubs those crazy people hang out near too...

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #67 on: 10 Jul 2012, 16:47 »

I love how the OP is telling people the are doing it wrong by telling people they are doing it wrong.   

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #68 on: 10 Jul 2012, 16:53 »

Offering productive suggestions is not the same as telling people their approach is invalid.

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...
« Reply #69 on: 11 Jul 2012, 00:28 »

I'm not RPing for an in-game faction... Am I doing it wrong? D;

Also, Seri, I think that you may be right. But I think another factor of it is that new pilots that just show up are usually dispensable RP alts that can be used to avoid consequence, so people are less receptive to their RP in general.

This isn't entirely an OOC factor, either: a new pilot has had significantly less time to accrue power and reputation.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #70 on: 11 Jul 2012, 10:32 »

Offering productive suggestions is not the same as telling people their approach is invalid.

Except little in the way of productive solutions was offered in the OP. That came later in the thread. The OP was about asking people to stop being so brutal in their rejection of RP they don't like. Hambone has a point. :P

On a side note, I have a thought that as friendly and fair as the moderation is on Backstage, I think it's a mistake to try being so 'friendly and fair' in EVE RP, even OOC. EVE never was a nice place, and I think it's a mistake to promote the sense of camaraderie and 'live-and-let-live' in a game where it is completely legitimate and encouraged to betray and stab someone in the back OOC.

I prefer it when people are nice to me. I want people to respect me, and I want people to respect my RP. I agree with what you're saying, Cas, and I don't like how brutal things are sometimes. HOWEVER, I think it's a mistake to set a stage for people to let their guard down and naturally trust everyone else.

Take Istvaan for example. He's a nice guy, and he's quite polite IC and OOC. However, the very real threat of him completely screwing over your character, corp, and time spent in EVE is real and with precedent. People need to remember that and keep that in mind. Not just about him, but about everyone. A few 'urdoinitrong' arguments and curbstomping here and there helps to remind people of this.

EVE isn't nice, and I don't think promoting Backstage moderation ideals in EVE is what should be done.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #71 on: 11 Jul 2012, 11:14 »

EVE isn't nice, and I don't think promoting Backstage moderation ideals in EVE is what should be done.

Eve, or the eve RP community, is what we do of it. One can perfectly be respectful and yet remaining paranoid OOCly.

Jev North

« Reply #72 on: 11 Jul 2012, 13:48 »

People might perceive politeness and reliability are the same thing, and therefore every once in a while we should pretend that they are, and be horribly rude to each other, just to kill any kind of trust and general positive feeling that might otherwise spring up?

That's.. awesome. I think.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #73 on: 11 Jul 2012, 17:39 »

Take Istvaan for example. He's a nice guy, and he's quite polite IC and OOC. However, the very real threat of him completely screwing over your character, corp, and time spent in EVE is real and with precedent.

It's funny you mention Istvaan - when I started Eve and Eve RP I started with Cia looking for a missing capsuleer father. I had more than one person tell me I was doingitwrong: pop pilots were infertile, the idea was hackneyned, it made no sense not to be able to find him when any new pilot could just use the mail system, etc ...

Istvaan contacted me, ICly, offered to help, freaked my newbie self right out by getting Cia to smuggle drugs for him as the price of his help, and then ICly screwed me over. It was awesome, it was one of the things that got me hooked on Eve, and it was the exact opposite of what the OP is describing. I will always be grateful to him for taking the time to be interested in a noob and her idea.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #74 on: 11 Jul 2012, 20:20 »

The very model of a British Minmatarian
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8