Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That "Perfection ain't all it's cracked up to be" is an Angel Cartel saying? (Region Description)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: "urdoinitrong"  (Read 14745 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: "urdoinitrong"
« Reply #105 on: 30 Jul 2012, 14:11 »

Somebody's been reading Flatland. :)

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #106 on: 30 Jul 2012, 14:20 »

I had a thought today, about things, it made sense.

A setting has polygons as the entities that do things. The game rules as released only mention how triangles do things, and the developer mentions something that gives the impression that they expect everyone to play triangles, at least at first.

So people are off, playing triangles, and exploring the ideas behind being isosceles in a world of right angled triangles, or the oppression of the equilaterals by the scalene.

And then someone wants to play a square. Squares are mentioned briefly in the prime fiction, but not to any great extent.
Then someone wants to be a triangle with rounded corners.
And someone else wants to be a circle.
What happens here? especially if the developer has talked about squares being in a future expansion?

And then someone wants to be a cube, saying it would add a new dimension to their roleplay. Is that allowed?

Then someone takes it too far, and wants to be a tesseract.

At this point, anyone being a plain triangle may feel excluded, as if no-one's playing the same game anymore.

and this is what some things feel like to me. That some things are polyhedrons in a world of polygons.

I like your analogy. All the triangles, squares, and rectangles are eager to take new shapes to be the most original, interesting, and provocative assemblies of the imagination in a game of creative competition.  Personally, I find it much easier and more pleasant to interact with a plain triangle template that defines its shape with creative character development beyond being just a unique concept/shape. That's not to say other shapes aren't good ideas, but sometimes it's just not necessary.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #107 on: 30 Jul 2012, 14:26 »

Somebody's been reading Flatland. :)

Best required reading for a class I've ever had.

And yes. Very apt analogy. >.<
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]