Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Many medical services are provided by AIs rather than human doctors?  More on AIMEDs here.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Character names: History, reasons, etc.  (Read 87317 times)

Pickled_Prawn

• Clonejack
Re: Character names: History, reasons, etc.
« Reply #105 on: 27 Jul 2013, 11:44 »

Main: Named after a Fallen Earth role whose name was originally 'Arthur Ramirez' before I San Matar-ized it.

Alt #1: Named after a competitor in the same competition that made Chopper famous in the Mega City One comics ( 2000AD ).
Alt #2: Randomizer job who got a San Matar style first name and kept the random surname.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #106 on: 29 Jul 2013, 00:23 »

My character's name is an everyman's name. Egivand is from the random name generator. I picked Elmund because it felt like a natural match for the surname. It's also a name I could imagine being attached to an actual person, so I stuck to it.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Drake Arson

• Toaster Strudel
  • Clonejack
« Reply #107 on: 29 Jul 2013, 01:40 »

My name is pretty self explanatory.

It can mean several deffirent things, but they ussually all point in one direction in the end.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #108 on: 29 Jul 2013, 13:44 »

My name is pretty self explanatory.

It can mean several deffirent things, but they ussually all point in one direction in the end.

Drake Arson

• Toaster Strudel
  • Clonejack
« Reply #109 on: 30 Jul 2013, 00:13 »

Preeeeety much spot on!

Shiki

• Clonejack
« Reply #110 on: 29 Aug 2013, 22:13 »

When this character was created, I had little knowledge of the lore, other than the basic timeline and nature of the Empires. A friend has said that the Caldari named things in a cross between Japanese and Finnish, and in retrospect I should have put a little more effort into originality. While I'm sorely tempted to try a new character with a new name, saying goodbye to the SP has so far held me back.

The name is supposed to be poetic, meaning, 'the secret teachings of the seasons.' Her parents were meant to be scientists, thus the name would reflect the truth of the world which is not readily apparent. At the time, I thought it fitting for an Achura.

Odelya

« Reply #111 on: 29 Sep 2013, 11:06 »

“Odelya” is the name of a girl I had a crush on like five hundred years ago. Don’t really know why I chose it. (I guess I found a picture of her or something.) “d’Hanguest” is the name of a friend of John Calvin while he was a child—when I was preparing an exam on Calvin the name got stuck in my head. And as a consequence of my choice this friend of Calvin has become literally ungoogleable….

Templar Ordo

• Capsule 23
  • Clonejack
  • Focus determines your reality
    • Moment 23
« Reply #112 on: 05 Mar 2014, 05:31 »

My main character's first name, Raphael, is a name of a close friend I had when I was younger. It is also the name of one of my favourite sculpture artists, as well as the best ninja turtle.
Thus I chose it as first name nine years ago. I must say I'm not that fond of it today as I was at first, but I guess it could be worse.

Ordo means a lot of things for me and has several resemblances.
Ranging from Order to disorder, to Ordos (house ordos in dune), to Canderous Ordo and his legacy in the KotOR games.
Ordo will represent all of that. With a sinister grin, he will hide his true self behind a sometime foolish charade.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #113 on: 05 Mar 2014, 09:17 »

It is also the name of one of my favourite sculpture artists, as well as the best ninja turtle.

:!:

genofunk

« Reply #114 on: 05 Mar 2014, 11:31 »

My wife and I decided if we had a baby girl we would name her Anyanka after Anyanka Jenkins from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. So I made this character to give to her one day. We had a son. We named him Azriel after Azriel from Ann Rice's Servant of the Bones. I made him a Dust character. Only going to have one kid so I'm keeping Anyanka.

Funk was my nickname in highschool.

Dessau

« Reply #115 on: 05 Mar 2014, 17:12 »

"Bas-" : antiquated prenom based on a princely honorific from the early industrial Gallente era. Use of these was eschewed by many due to the imperialistic subtext, bot over the last few generations they have come back into fashion amongst the more provincial families far from the cosmopolitan centers of the Federation.

"Aschense" : a mytho-historical pathfinder from the traditions of antiquity. Akin to names like Ulysses, etc.

"Niscoir" : classical-modern name meaning "vigilant". This would be the name used in day-to-day interpersonal interaction.

"Grancoeur" : they make decent creamery butter, and I wanted a name for a farm family.

That's all made up, btw. I have no idea what I'm doing. Any glaring lore-based errors deserving of righteous correction should be addressed swiftly.
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2014, 17:38 by Dessau »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #116 on: 05 Mar 2014, 17:21 »

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Never admit that. Nobody will ever know.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #117 on: 22 Aug 2014, 18:30 »

Can't believe I haven't responded to this yet :o

Basically one day I was looking to create a new alt that I intended to RP with at some point. I was bored searching through deviantart galleries for funsies and came across a rather peculiar drawing of a planet the painter called "Cor." This artwork reminded me of Caldari and so I rearranged the words around to come up with "Kor." As for the "savius" part, I just totally came up with it on the spot. I later gave some explanation behind this rather odd name by naming him Korbin Sa'kur Lavius, or Korsavius for short. :)
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #118 on: 21 Sep 2014, 22:45 »

Well, when I started EVE I just looked at the blank box where my name was supposed to go and tried to think of an 'original' but futuristic sounding name for my character.

I like the letter 'J', and commas/ glottal stops seem 'futuristic' to me, so I figured 'Ji'kahr' was somewhat random, pronounceable and a good name.

Then as soon as I started playing, some people would tell me "Oh Ji'kahr? Man I loved 'Bablyon 5'!"

Which made me do a kind of facepalm as I thought it was completely unique, then suddenly remembered the name and character from the TV series. "Ugh, I knew it came from somewhere!"  :bash:

Still, I suppose it's not as bad as calling myself 'Mr. Spock' or 'Doctor Who' or 'Luke Skywalker'.

The actual character G'kar from the series is a Narn, an enslaved and subjugated race more comparable to the Minmatar than the Amarrians.

However, like the Amarr, the Narns are also a deeply religious people. G'Kar ends up becoming something of a prophet in his own society, largely by accident. So I suppose the name choice was not completely inappropriate, perhaps even subconsciously chosen.

I have been toying with the idea of having 'Ji'khar' mean something in Amarrian, such as 'Pilgrim' or 'seeker'. I'm a little miffed that I didn't think of a last name at character creation.

However,  if I were able to choose a last and middle (genus) name now, I might add 'Andreas Katsulas'.

Andreas Katsulas is the actor who played Ji'Khar, but died of lung cancer in 2006. (I only found out about this now.) I would do this as an OOC memorandum of him, and Bablyon 5 fans would pick up on it. To the uninitiated however, the actor's name sounds just unusual enough to be passable as an EVE name.

Ji'kahr Andreas Katsulas

Yes, not bad.

As I watch this video clip from Babylon 5 the series, I am reminded of the sorts of Theological/ philosophical discussions the Amarr (or Minmatar) might have with each other, as their Caldari (or Gallente) friend stands by and observes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_oQkSh2lq8
Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #119 on: 22 Sep 2014, 05:42 »

I have no idea if I have responded to this thread before or not and I am too lazy to look.

I liked the sound of it. Nothing more to it. I am fond of sibilants.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9