Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Frentix is a very powerful painkiller?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Khanid Kingdom and Blooders and controversy, oh my!  (Read 20637 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Khanid Kingdom and Blooders and controversy, oh my!
« Reply #135 on: 08 Nov 2018, 04:18 »

If "who paid x for y ships" is a metric, then battle reports go entirely out the window to begin with. The name of the wallet is quite a bit less important than the tags on the ships in space. Minmatar vs Amarr in this particular case. I haven't seen any real breakdowns on isk efficiency so far, but when both sides seem to feel the need to pad their numbers or throw goalposts around, something's not entirely on the up and up.

There's only two real metrics of this event: The Freighter died and the operation failed, so strategic victory for the Amarr. On the flip side, the Amarr capsuleer fleet might as well not have been there as it had exactly zero impact on the outcome of events and primarily existed to be blown up and sent packing off the field by the vastly superior Minmatar numbers/strength.

There's really no need for either side to start massaging the chain of events in any way, but apparently there's a LOT of it happening both IC and OOC from what I can tell.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #136 on: 08 Nov 2018, 04:22 »

The Khanid Customs NPCs might have reacted if the Minmatar ships had been carrying Small Arms in their cargoholds, as that's one of the relatively few items that's illegal in Khanid space, but also readily available and cheap.

Might even have been something that would have worked IC quite well - the NPCs would issue the "hand over your cargo or be fired on" warning as usual, and everyone goes "no, lol", and then the ships start opening fire.

Although I'm not sure if the Khanid Customs battleships scan ships for illegal cargo, or if that's the smaller Khanid Customs ships - the cruor hull ones.
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #137 on: 08 Nov 2018, 09:45 »

Eve battle reports and after action smacktalk are the United States political spin of gaming.  You can have one clearly demonstrable set of facts where one sided kills 100% of the enemy ships and you'll still get 45 different spins on what -actually- happened and why the losing side -really- won if you think about it right.  No one ever loses, there's always 'circumstances' that caused a temporary setback, rather than a straight-up ass kicking like we all get once and a while and have to learn how to deal with :)

War never changes :)

Arrendis

• Clonejack
« Reply #138 on: 08 Nov 2018, 11:25 »

I would just like to again give kudos to everyone involved in making this work out so well, and bitch and moan because I had the shot on that damned Aeon after his fighters shot me, but he ran away and tethered when I started spooling up the damage, then despawned when I began bumping him. GRR.

Harkon Thorson

• Clonejack
« Reply #139 on: 08 Nov 2018, 12:09 »

Greetings!
The person to thank is mainly Armast Darkar as he came up with the idea and provided everything we needed. We just showed up and got into the ships. And then of course nothing would have realy happend without all the players from both sides taking part.
Our ppl realy enjoyed the whole event and many are somewhat hyped about rp content right now. I´ll try to follow up with a few things from our side in the near future and be active here. It seems I have an account here since 2015... so time to use it I guess.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #140 on: 08 Nov 2018, 13:09 »

[Harkon Thorson is online]

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Haruchai Vidaraltyr

• Clonejack
« Reply #141 on: 08 Nov 2018, 14:30 »

I really enjoyed reading this arc and watching the drama unfold. I think you should all be very proud of what you have achieved, and the heightened interest in RP events.

Sadly, my new time zone (grr) made it difficult to engage with any of the events, but I really enjoyed what you all accomplished.

Armast Darkar

• Clonejack
« Reply #142 on: 15 Nov 2018, 02:27 »

As I am the mastermind behind Operation Starfall (and therefore responsible for a lot of the headaches and controversy, here), I thought it might be a good idea for me to step in and take responsibility.

First, I would like to thank everyone who participated. The event would have been a failure if not for many things coming together in less than 96 hours. As Harkon said above, but to put a different spin on it, I was the one who provided the ships and staging, but without pilots for those assets, the event would have basically just been me solo piloting a freighter and dying. A bunch of hulls sitting in a hangar don't tell a very compelling story (or make for impressive screenshots) so, really, none of this could have gotten off the ground without Ferra, Harkon, Ushra'Khan, and those Minmatar roleplayers who decided to take a chance with us—and conversely, the Amarr loyalist roleplayers who decided to fight us despite being outnumbered. And of course, CCP, for being amazing and deploying three NPC actors, two of whom were in ships that could be attacked and destroyed (maybe we could have snagged the Aeon with another 100 Typhoons).

Secondly, and getting to the heart of the controversy, from the beginning, I was always operating with the assumption that the IC impact of the operation would be very small. Before putting everything into motion, I sent a message to ISD about what I was trying to achieve, which was basically instigate a space battle and try to create an inclusive stage for people who might be intimidated by IGS posting or channel roleplay. The best idea I could come up with under the time constraints (this was around four days before the official end of the "Crimson Harvest") was a freighter-in-militia.

However, the freighter, initially, was not supposed to survive. The concept was that: If Minmatar militia held the grid, Armast would declare that the Khanid air defenses were too strong and would initiate a self-destruct on the freighter, the debris from which might allow some small shuttles and atmospheric-capable SOE craft (as was hinted to in an earlier article) to smuggle slaves, rebels, prisoners of war, or refugees from the surface of the planet for a short period of time. And if Amarr militia held the grid, the freighter would have been destroyed and thus no "landings" could ever really take place.   

Admittedly, after Ushra'Khan and GMVA got on board, I got a little full of myself and did an upward revision in a second message to ISD but they only replied to my first proposal and did so with only 24 hours left before Operation Starfall was scheduled to commence.

At the end of the day, based on my initial idea, the concept of capsuleer-backed armies landing on a sovereign planet wasn't really going to be tested. I chose not to reveal this to anyone (sorry Ferra and Harkon  :( ) because I wanted the story to feel open-ended even if in reality it wasn't going to be. I hope that no one thinks that was manipulative of me to employ that touch of misdirection and if they do I apologize. I just felt that revealing the possible low-impact outcomes would have cheapened the stakes, reduced responses, and compromised the story—all to the detriment of what ended up being a fun event. I wanted to maintain the spontaneity of EVE pilots as much as I possibly could until the very last moment before I needed to initiate a self-destruct. Fun fact: I was just about to have Armast type that the aerial defenses were too strong (as our fleet was pretty large and it looked unlikely the Amarr fleet would engage us on their own volition when so heavily outnumbered) when the Ushra'Khan pilots called that an Aeon was on grid. As it stands, CCP and those Amarr loyalists who warped to grid saved the day but it was a really big gamble and I recognize that.

As an aside, I believe that IC a character can make exaggerated, grandiose, and overambitious claims. Further, I do not believe that storylines or ideas should require OOC submission for vetting, approval, or feedback outside of contact to ISD or CCP when a story begins to skirt what is lore-acceptable. That all said, while I do believe that it was possible for some sort of landing to take place if in a weakened state, I did not expect that the landing would be very successful if it at all occurred. And certainly nowhere near the extent that Armast was claiming in the "Operation Starfall" thread. Nonetheless, Armast, in-character, could make the claim and lay out his entire plan, no matter how outrageous or unlikely.

Thankfully, CCP answered the question of the landing for us.

Armast is a businessman, not a soldier. There were many  flaws in his plan and he is coming to terms with that. I hope that you can be patient with me as I develop him through his flaws, failures, and (hopefully) successes as I continue to explore his story.   

Anyway, any animosity or heated exchanges that occurred in this thread and elsewhere are because of my idea. I take full responsibility for my idea and own it, and again, apologize if there was any appearance that my goal was to shatter the lore of Empire navies and ground forces. 
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2018, 03:05 by Armast Darkar »

Jocca Quinn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #143 on: 15 Nov 2018, 05:40 »

From what I have read on various forums and in game channels I would say your event was a great success.

Kind of sorry I stayed out of it to be honest.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #144 on: 15 Nov 2018, 12:45 »

10/10 would welp again.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]