Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ghost Festival is an Angel Cartel loyalist corporation? Read more here

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Dark Souls 3  (Read 9905 times)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
Re: Dark Souls 3
« Reply #60 on: 04 May 2016, 07:55 »

On another note, the Nameless King wrecked my arse for the tenth time.

I have resorted to using bows to fight the Storm Drake. I think the trick here is to lock onto the Nameless King himself to watch what he is doing, then lock onto the Storm Drake once he stops bobbing his head like an oversized fire-breathing ostrich.

Phase 2 still wrecks my arse. I should stay the hell away from his three-hit combo.

Anyway, Aldritch is a nasty piece of work. Also, I think there's some kind of conspiracy here. As I understand it, Irithyll was part of Anor Londo, perhaps one of the surviving districts from the Second Age of Fire (you know, the one with the Chosen Undead from Dark Souls 1). This much I gathered by the fact that Anor Londo was literally next door, and that there is this mansion that houses Silver Knights and some Anor Londo memorabilia, probably the home of a Londo nobility or perhaps a winter retreat for the old gods. Reading the item descriptions of the loot acquired by slaying the Pontiff and Aldritch, I suspected that the Pontiff, and possibly the rest of Irithyll, had a bone to pick with Anor Londo, presumably because of the whole Hollow incident caused by the fading fire. It just so happened that they had Aldritch with them, a priest at the time, who had eaten so many people and had grown powerful enough to challenge the gods, and just so happen to be in the mood for a divine morsel.

So Aldritch ate the gods, the Pontiff modified the existing religion to worship Aldritch, and we got the Cathedral of the Deep.

As for how this ties into the main plot, I think that the Princes, who weren't willing to go and burn in the Kiln again, heard of Aldritch and, seeking to escape being set on fire again, allied with the Deep and did whatever they can to stop themselves from being taken to the Kiln. Probably even started a war, looking at what happened to the High Wall of Lothric. High Priestess Emma was working against the Princes, which was why she was killed.

Anor Londo's not so much next door as upstairs. You know that huge city that you could see by looking off the (numerous) edges in Anor Londo in DS 1, but never got to visit?

Irithyll.

That's my interpretation thus far, anyway.

As a side-note, we only know of one god Aldrich ate (the one whose moveset he's co-opted and improved on, the bastard).

The thing that  confuses me is that the relative positions of several Lordran/Lothric landmarks have been switched around. Lothric Castle seems to be in the position Anor Londo used to occupy,  while Irithyll, hence Anor Londo, is found within a few hundred meters of Izilith, which was at the far end of the map from it in DS1.

It makes more sense if we don't think of this too much as a literal, physical landscape-- an option that gets borne out a little if you get past the Consumed King and find the Untended Graves.

Stuff gets weird.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2016, 07:59 by Aria Jenneth »

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #61 on: 05 May 2016, 04:01 »

On another note, the Nameless King wrecked my arse for the tenth time.

I have resorted to using bows to fight the Storm Drake. I think the trick here is to lock onto the Nameless King himself to watch what he is doing, then lock onto the Storm Drake once he stops bobbing his head like an oversized fire-breathing ostrich.

Phase 2 still wrecks my arse. I should stay the hell away from his three-hit combo.

Anyway, Aldritch is a nasty piece of work. Also, I think there's some kind of conspiracy here. As I understand it, Irithyll was part of Anor Londo, perhaps one of the surviving districts from the Second Age of Fire (you know, the one with the Chosen Undead from Dark Souls 1). This much I gathered by the fact that Anor Londo was literally next door, and that there is this mansion that houses Silver Knights and some Anor Londo memorabilia, probably the home of a Londo nobility or perhaps a winter retreat for the old gods. Reading the item descriptions of the loot acquired by slaying the Pontiff and Aldritch, I suspected that the Pontiff, and possibly the rest of Irithyll, had a bone to pick with Anor Londo, presumably because of the whole Hollow incident caused by the fading fire. It just so happened that they had Aldritch with them, a priest at the time, who had eaten so many people and had grown powerful enough to challenge the gods, and just so happen to be in the mood for a divine morsel.

So Aldritch ate the gods, the Pontiff modified the existing religion to worship Aldritch, and we got the Cathedral of the Deep.

As for how this ties into the main plot, I think that the Princes, who weren't willing to go and burn in the Kiln again, heard of Aldritch and, seeking to escape being set on fire again, allied with the Deep and did whatever they can to stop themselves from being taken to the Kiln. Probably even started a war, looking at what happened to the High Wall of Lothric. High Priestess Emma was working against the Princes, which was why she was killed.

Anor Londo's not so much next door as upstairs. You know that huge city that you could see by looking off the (numerous) edges in Anor Londo in DS 1, but never got to visit?

Irithyll.

That's my interpretation thus far, anyway.

As a side-note, we only know of one god Aldrich ate (the one whose moveset he's co-opted and improved on, the bastard).

The thing that  confuses me is that the relative positions of several Lordran/Lothric landmarks have been switched around. Lothric Castle seems to be in the position Anor Londo used to occupy,  while Irithyll, hence Anor Londo, is found within a few hundred meters of Izilith, which was at the far end of the map from it in DS1.

It makes more sense if we don't think of this too much as a literal, physical landscape-- an option that gets borne out a little if you get past the Consumed King and find the Untended Graves.

Stuff gets weird.

Forgot who said it, but Lothric is where all the lands of the Lords are converging. Apparently, that means the whole geography is being sucked in towards Lothric, hence the messed up geography.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #62 on: 18 May 2016, 14:08 »

Still never ever buying this game but this made me laugh so very loudly:

http://imgur.com/gallery/dCMbDHq

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #63 on: 19 May 2016, 07:25 »

Forgot who said it, but Lothric is where all the lands of the Lords are converging. Apparently, that means the whole geography is being sucked in towards Lothric, hence the messed up geography.

It's the introductory cutscene. "Converge" can also mean "come together" in a passive rather than an active sense, but she also describes the domains of the Lords of Cinder as "transitory lands." So, you might be right.

Silas:

Ah, wacky invaders.

You may, then, appreciate Friendship Chest.

To clarify what you're seeing:

[spoiler]Friendship Chest's headpiece, the "Chest," is a "helmet" that greatly increases drop rate for valuable items-- at the cost of continuous health drain. As a result, Friendship Chest is permanently running on a timer, and has only so many healing resources.

And-- and here's where this gets particularly special-- he has very low to absolutely zero straightforward offensive capability and minimal defense. He's got a broken sword, a Miracle-casting talisman that he uses for healing spells and a nonlethal force blast, and a Pyromancy flame (usually freaking lethal) that he only uses to cast a healing spell that heals everyone, friend or foe. Hence, he's a "benevolent" invader who shows up and casts healing spells at your party.

... and then, once you've accepted his presence, might or might not force-blast you or your comrades off a ledge into a pit of lava.

If you don't accept his presence, he knows the environment well enough to use it to kill you oh so very dead. (That last kill, where he keeps someone stuck in that bug-eyed lizard's gas cloud, is particularly wicked: Curse is a status effect that causes instant death if it takes, but keeping someone who knows what they're doing stuck there long enough for that to happen is a definite skill-shot.)

But he's nice! Really![/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 19 May 2016, 07:39 by Aria Jenneth »

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #64 on: 19 May 2016, 21:44 »

It's the introductory cutscene. "Converge" can also mean "come together" in a passive rather than an active sense, but she also describes the domains of the Lords of Cinder as "transitory lands." So, you might be right.

Silas:

Ah, wacky invaders.

You may, then, appreciate Friendship Chest.

To clarify what you're seeing:

[spoiler]Friendship Chest's headpiece, the "Chest," is a "helmet" that greatly increases drop rate for valuable items-- at the cost of continuous health drain. As a result, Friendship Chest is permanently running on a timer, and has only so many healing resources.

And-- and here's where this gets particularly special-- he has very low to absolutely zero straightforward offensive capability and minimal defense. He's got a broken sword, a Miracle-casting talisman that he uses for healing spells and a nonlethal force blast, and a Pyromancy flame (usually freaking lethal) that he only uses to cast a healing spell that heals everyone, friend or foe. Hence, he's a "benevolent" invader who shows up and casts healing spells at your party.

... and then, once you've accepted his presence, might or might not force-blast you or your comrades off a ledge into a pit of lava.

If you don't accept his presence, he knows the environment well enough to use it to kill you oh so very dead. (That last kill, where he keeps someone stuck in that bug-eyed lizard's gas cloud, is particularly wicked: Curse is a status effect that causes instant death if it takes, but keeping someone who knows what they're doing stuck there long enough for that to happen is a definite skill-shot.)

But he's nice! Really![/spoiler]

You also mustn't forget what the Kiln of the First Flame looked like: Kingdoms being stacked on top of one another. It's likely that the whole converging thing was in progress when the Ashen One was out looking for the Lords of Cinder, but the game engine ensures that we won't be able to actually see the thing before our very eyes.

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #65 on: 27 Jun 2016, 11:02 »

Reading this makes me want to get back to this game again.
I think my problem is that I just look at the danger in front of me and don't try and look around and see things.

That said I got the original DS now so I can try and get through the trilogy to follow the lore throughout.

P.S
I hate you equally Aria and Elmund for this ;)
D.S
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #66 on: 27 Jun 2016, 20:10 »

Reading this makes me want to get back to this game again.
I think my problem is that I just look at the danger in front of me and don't try and look around and see things.

That said I got the original DS now so I can try and get through the trilogy to follow the lore throughout.

P.S
I hate you equally Aria and Elmund for this ;)
D.S

Thou art welcome!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]