Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Amarrian "godflesh" taboo forbids against cloning? Until YC119, anyway!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Dark Souls 3  (Read 9965 times)

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
Re: Dark Souls 3
« Reply #45 on: 14 Apr 2016, 19:33 »

Played another three hours yesterday, this time starting as Assassin. I had absolutely no problems with that 'Giant Rat in Ill-Fitting Armour' as Northern Warrior but as an Assassin, he kicked my arse four times because I forgot how to dodge properly and never mastered parrying.

Now I'm staring at the plaza full of knights and I have a small shield that doesn't have obtuse parry animation. I'm going to get some parry practice in before proceeding.

(p/s: I realise that you can kill that mutant bastard on the roof before he turns into that giant rat thing. Just run right on up to him and stab him in the gut and make your life much, much easier)
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #46 on: 14 Apr 2016, 20:59 »

Played another three hours yesterday, this time starting as Assassin. I had absolutely no problems with that 'Giant Rat in Ill-Fitting Armour' as Northern Warrior but as an Assassin, he kicked my arse four times because I forgot how to dodge properly and never mastered parrying.

Now I'm staring at the plaza full of knights and I have a small shield that doesn't have obtuse parry animation. I'm going to get some parry practice in before proceeding.

(p/s: I realise that you can kill that mutant bastard on the roof before he turns into that giant rat thing. Just run right on up to him and stab him in the gut and make your life much, much easier)

Started with a Thief. Got splatted by Iudex Gundir a few times before I got my parrying down well enough to repeatedly shiv him in the collar good and proper. I've ended up running a dex fighter (as per usual), with a katana (also per usual) which I got near the start of the game (now that's a little unusual) and no shield (well, a Dark Hand, but that's such a stop-gap that it hardly seems worth mentioning).

Mixed feelings about how many other katana-wielders I'm seeing. It makes sense; it's a nifty bit of kit. Running shieldless is far more viable this time than it has been historically. Looking forward to seeing what I can do with the Flynn Ring and Chaos Blade.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #47 on: 15 Apr 2016, 03:32 »

Flynn's Ring is in this game?

I am so going to cheese with this rapier.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 15 Apr 2016, 08:25 »

Oh, BTW: if anyone else is (as I was) mostly running a two-handed weapon? Be sure you can one-hand it by the time you get to the Boreal Valley.

You will want your off hand free.

[spoiler]It's full of strange Hollow-like beings that can only be seen in good lighting-- and not always then. Keep that torch up, Ashen One!

Edit:

Disregard. The damn bastards are invisible until within a certain radius-- or, if they're actively hiding, until they attack. The torch is still good for the darker areas, tho.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 01 May 2016, 11:51 by Aria Jenneth »

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #49 on: 15 Apr 2016, 09:48 »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Maybe faintly nsfw? "Animated gore" anyway >_>

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #50 on: 15 Apr 2016, 10:30 »

Well. Found it. It works a little differently this time: it doesn't seem to care what % your equip load is at, or the maximum, only the total current load. In other words, if you want to run around in the "Master's Garb" with a rapier, this is the ring for you.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #51 on: 15 Apr 2016, 11:51 »

https://i.imgur.com/cFgVTWz.webm

Sometimes the only way to win is to not play at all.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2016, 11:59 by Aldrith Shutaq »

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #52 on: 16 Apr 2016, 18:35 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0g1NsfZ6mc

So I finally beat Lady Maria, but the time that I won I accidentally deleted the footage because the PS4 share function is silly. I did, however, manage to catch an epic defeat when she was one hit away from death. Enjoy!

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #53 on: 17 Apr 2016, 19:00 »

Well. Found it. It works a little differently this time: it doesn't seem to care what % your equip load is at, or the maximum, only the total current load. In other words, if you want to run around in the "Master's Garb" with a rapier, this is the ring for you.

So even at 30% load I will take no advantage of this ring.

Anyway, I found a Butcher's Blade (or whatever you call it) and got me a Yohrg Ring (the one that regens health for consecutive hits). I think those two will work really nicely on my Northern Warrior for berserking purposes.

Back to my Assassin, the ring is of situation usefulness. If I can land like what? Six or seven hits in a row? I can regen a smidgen of health with it. Considering that my Assassin is a glass cannon I cannot always just stand around hitting that many times. Not to mention I'm running into even more enemies that don't really stagger in Cathedral of the Deep.

Oh God, that place is full of ambushes and crossbowmen.

P/s: I managed to parry the Bandit and that Assassin at entrance towards the Cathedral. Never felt awesomer.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2016, 19:02 by Elmund Egivand »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #54 on: 19 Apr 2016, 21:33 »

Here you go, although I'm not a player of this franchise, it's a hilarious gallery :)

http://imgur.com/gallery/T2O0T

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: 25 Apr 2016, 19:41 »

Good find, Silas!

My favorite would have to be this one:

"Let's see ... uh ... nope. NOPE!"

That is a very, very familiar feeling.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #56 on: 29 Apr 2016, 08:18 »

Well.

So-- up until last night, I was starting to lean towards the "meh" crowd. As in "meh, more of the same, which is nice and all, but been here, done this, done that too." As is typical of me, I didn't wander too far during my first play through; first run's for learning the ropes and the basics of what is needed to finish. More elaborate lore-exploration and PvP stuff can wait. Onward!

Then, last night, I finished the game. Basic ending, do the good, noble, self-sacrificing thing, link the fire, restore the world, tralalala ... oh. Shit.

[spoiler]"Only embers remain." Too fucking right.

At the end of the first game, the restoration of the world was a conflagration. Standing in the Kiln of the First Flame, your character links the first bonfire. The flames, this time, do not stay in their firepit: they spread, to your hand, to your shoulders, they engulf you. The kiln explodes into a heart-of-a-star inferno. The camera goes white. Credits.

Okay, fine; you sacrifice yourself, the world is renewed, yaaaay! ... I always preferred walking away and becoming the Dark Lord. Mwahahaha!

This time ... Jesus.

Standing in the Kiln of the First Flame, your character links the first bonfire. The flames spread, to your hand, to your shoulders. You do not explode into an inferno. The ash-and-cinder hued flowers growing in the kiln remain undisturbed. The flames that wreathe you flicker sullenly.

Beneath the light of an obviously dying sun (locked in permanent eclipse, no less), its light literally bleeding from the sky, you hunker down to wait-- and burn. Perhaps this world has been prolonged a little; how long, is impossible to know.

This much is clear: you have not restored the light and power of the First Flame. All your sacrifice has done, all that everything you've suffered and all the death and misery you have spread have achieved, is to stir the embers into a flickering, miserable, dying  fire, one more time.

There had been signs, hints. Of all the five Lords of Cinder, only one was willing to be sacrificed for this; the others fled, and had to be hunted down-- and not even by a fellow being of fire, however tainted, but one of ashes, dark, and borrowed fire, something that ordinarily would never have been considered fit to gather the power for this rite. There's a new nation in the world, Londor, land of Hollows, previously merely insane, accursed Undead-- now building nations? Founding religious orders?

And the Fire Keeper fears there's something important she hasn't been told, something that's being kept from her....

DS3 is not merely a continuation of the cycle. This is not the same game. At most, the cycle might peter on a little longer. If DS1 was youth, and DS2 middle-age (maybe in need of a midlife crisis), then DS3 is a life reaching its end.

I haven't had a game ending disturb my sleep like this in freaking forever. Or that I've found myself abruptly respecting more as a work of art. I wasn't a savior; I was a life-support machine for a terminally ill patient.

Well, then. Time for another playthrough. Vesper, let's see what obvious-agent-of-Dark Yuria of Londor's got to offer us-- and, perhaps, this dying world.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2016, 08:43 by Aria Jenneth »

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #57 on: 01 May 2016, 10:02 »

[spoiler]When you find out what's being kept from the Firekeeper, you'll really wish you hadn't.

This is sort of a random thing to remark upon, but I really loved the imagery in the final boss arena, and I'm not talking about the giant bleeding Darksign in the sky - If you look around the edge of the Kiln, you can see that a tree has been growing around/through it, but has been burned and stunted over and over again by the relighting of the Kiln. The flowers seem to be part of the same thing. That really sold me on how futile and destructive for the world the linking of the fire had become in a way that the earlier parts of the game had failed to quite bring home; Something new desperately trying to grow, but being stopped by the revival of the old order, over and over again.[/spoiler]

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: 01 May 2016, 10:56 »

Huh. Thanks, Gwen. I'll have to do that ending next.

Well, so far, what Yuria of Londor's got to offer is ...

[spoiler]The most disturbing wedding ceremony in all of gaming, and possibly most of fiction. It's less massacre-y than the Red Wedding, but a bit more personally-- er.

One participant (the player) is a Hollow-- so, unless pains have been taken to appear otherwise, a withered, animate corpse. The other, poor Anri of Astora (can be either gender) is a (withered? Can't tell) inanimate corpse courtesy of a certain agent of Yuria. The ceremony is completed by the animate character ritually driving a sword through the inanimate character's face. ... thereby claiming Anri's dark sigils and becoming even more absolutely a Hollow.

On the flip-side, this apparently now means that I can go steal (what's left of) the First Flame for myself. Doesn't seem like that's going to renew it, though-- more like I get to play lich-queen to a world dominated by Londor's undead. Yay?

Looking forward to finding out.[/spoiler]

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #59 on: 02 May 2016, 19:57 »

On another note, the Nameless King wrecked my arse for the tenth time.

I have resorted to using bows to fight the Storm Drake. I think the trick here is to lock onto the Nameless King himself to watch what he is doing, then lock onto the Storm Drake once he stops bobbing his head like an oversized fire-breathing ostrich.

Phase 2 still wrecks my arse. I should stay the hell away from his three-hit combo.

Anyway, Aldritch is a nasty piece of work. Also, I think there's some kind of conspiracy here. As I understand it, Irithyll was part of Anor Londo, perhaps one of the surviving districts from the Second Age of Fire (you know, the one with the Chosen Undead from Dark Souls 1). This much I gathered by the fact that Anor Londo was literally next door, and that there is this mansion that houses Silver Knights and some Anor Londo memorabilia, probably the home of a Londo nobility or perhaps a winter retreat for the old gods. Reading the item descriptions of the loot acquired by slaying the Pontiff and Aldritch, I suspected that the Pontiff, and possibly the rest of Irithyll, had a bone to pick with Anor Londo, presumably because of the whole Hollow incident caused by the fading fire. It just so happened that they had Aldritch with them, a priest at the time, who had eaten so many people and had grown powerful enough to challenge the gods, and just so happen to be in the mood for a divine morsel.

So Aldritch ate the gods, the Pontiff modified the existing religion to worship Aldritch, and we got the Cathedral of the Deep.

As for how this ties into the main plot, I think that the Princes, who weren't willing to go and burn in the Kiln again, heard of Aldritch and, seeking to escape being set on fire again, allied with the Deep and did whatever they can to stop themselves from being taken to the Kiln. Probably even started a war, looking at what happened to the High Wall of Lothric. High Priestess Emma was working against the Princes, which was why she was killed.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2016, 20:07 by Elmund Egivand »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5