Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kyoko Sakoda interned with Omerta Syndicate? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: EVElopedia's dead.  (Read 6409 times)

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
EVElopedia's dead.
« on: 26 Feb 2016, 01:32 »

http://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/eve-online-news/evelopedia-shutdown-2016-02-29-09-00/

If you want to save any player created content and don't want to sort through a huge archive to do so, better go save it now! (Also lore articles in case they prune any!)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: EVElopedia's dead.
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2016, 02:13 »

We're actually looking to open up a wiki on the eve-inspiracy domain that'll serve as a mirror for the player-created content, as well as (hopefully) a place for the official CCP lore to sit while we're waiting for them to put up their replacement.

Subdomain's set up but we've got some work to do to get the pages imported and CSS playing nicely.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2016, 07:11 »

So Eve Source will be the only place for official lore?

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2016, 07:24 »

So Eve Source will be the only place for official lore?

They are going to move all the prime fiction, chronicles and etc to another site.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2016, 10:29 »

fuuuuuuuuuuuu

I'm sad now.

I saved all my pages, but I liked evelopedia.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2016, 14:50 »

The wiki dump was incomplete as some of the dev asked that pages created by CCP not be included, which amounted to about 1/3 of the pages missing from the dump.  I spoke with CCP Avalon and he is going to see if they will change their minds on that and give a more complete dump of data.

In the meantime waiting for word on that and for the wiki to go live here, I have restored the current data dump here:

http://www.piecorp.info/evewiki
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2016, 17:20 »

CCP are getting much more professional about defending their IP - I look forward to experiencing a commensurate improvement in other areas of game development.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2016, 02:47 »

The wiki dump was incomplete as some of the dev asked that pages created by CCP not be included, which amounted to about 1/3 of the pages missing from the dump.  I spoke with CCP Avalon and he is going to see if they will change their minds on that and give a more complete dump of data.

In the meantime waiting for word on that and for the wiki to go live here, I have restored the current data dump here:

http://www.piecorp.info/evewiki

what stuff is supposed to be in that data dump ? because I was looking at some things, and couldn't find them, and as far as I know, they should be 'player created' pages ?

also, some of the images don't exist
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2016, 02:49 by Louella Dougans »
\o/

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2016, 03:39 »

I don't know what the cutoff date for CCP's dump was, but my Tirtha page wasn't included.  I'm assuming it has to do with date of creation, but that's just a guess, no idea the logic at play there sometimes.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2016, 06:55 »

http://wiki.eve-inspiracy.com is up and running (has been since yesterday).  Here is what we need from you folks:  If you have content there, you will need to re-upload your images as these were not a part of the data dump from CCP.  If you do not have the images anymore, you've got until DT to download them from Evelopedia before CCP pulls the plug on it.  If the page(s) you created have links pointing to Official CCP pages on Evelopedia, they will point to those same pages on Backstage Lore Wiki.  I have imported quite a bit of Official lore after Silver and I reviewed CCP hf's copyright guidelines - *but I have no way of knowing if I missed some important thing*.   So I need you folks to check your own content on BSLW, make sure your links aren't broken, and if they are, then send me a PM on Tweetfleet Slack, or here, or even an ingame mail to Havohej, and *let me know*.  I will attempt to import any such pages before Evelopedia goes bye-bye, but I can't promise anything.

Pass this about, make sure any potentially effected nerds get the message.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Kador Ouryon

• History's Greatest Meatshield
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #10 on: 29 Feb 2016, 19:23 »

It was truly sad to hear EVElopedia, my gateway dru.... site, into New Eden is gone.
"We ripped up the ending and the rules...and cast aside destiny...leaving nothing for us but an endless cycle of death and rebirth. Which is all well and good, except... Well, what if I've made the wrong choice? I have faith that it wasn't.....but how am I supposed to know? I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me tell you my story.Let me tell you everything."
- [name redacted] Truest Adamance

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 29 Feb 2016, 20:58 »

CCP Avalon told me that is at least looking possible to get a more complete data dump, but the eta is unknown at the moment.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #12 on: 29 Feb 2016, 21:24 »

We've got a lot more than just what they dumped.  And if there's enough demand for anything else, there's already a complete Export available.  I even have all of the missing images, but since our current hosting account doesn't allow command line access, I can't simply bulk import them into the wiki, so they're being added more or less on an 'as time and :effort: permits' basis.

All of the Lore is safe, especially the player pages.

At this time, I have it configured to require a registration, and this requires only that you answer the same question you had to answer to register here (Who's the company behind Eve?).  If a page was Locked on Evelopedia, chances are it's locked on BSLW.  If you feel you have an important addition for a locked page, PM a team member here.  Otherwise, everything else is editable by any registered user, so have fun!

Twitter

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 29 Feb 2016, 23:15 »

Cool.  How/where did you get all the other data from?

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #14 on: 01 Mar 2016, 00:56 »

From the time Morwen made me aware of the announcement Thursday, I spent a lot of time searching Evelopedia articles and exporting likely categories (Lore, Chronicles, etc.) that would probably be linked to by player pages.  Hopefully I got everything.  So far, things that I've discovered still missing (by randomly paging through player pages), I'm pullling from the webarchive site.

I got the images that Aurora Morgan ripped, so if any player-created page is missing images and the original author no longer has those files, all they gotta do is let me know and I'll make re-uploading those particular files a priority (otherwise, I'll get it all uploaded eventually, as I'm randomly paging through and checking on things).

EDIT: Utari Onzo pulled the Chronicle images for me while I was making sure the Chronicle pages themselves were un-broken.

Funny thing happened when I Imported the pages I'd pulled from Evelopedia.  Somehow, the Wiki sees the page-latest field as reading #0.  I tried to run a script to correct that, and it didn't work... so I went into the DB myself to find that NONE of the page-latest fields says #0.  They're all correct.  So what needs to be done is an administrator has to open the page, see the error message, delete the page and then restore the previous edits.  Then the page works fine.

So if you visit a page and it says, for example:

Don't be alarmed.  Just PM me a link to that page and I'll restore it and anything linked therein.  The information is there, but our MediaWiki install is confused by something about CCP's modified MediaWiki install, I dunno what causes it, but I know how to fix it now.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2016, 01:01 by Havohej »

Twitter
Pages: [1] 2