Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Frentix exists in a diluted version called Frenetix?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Caldari Suffixes and phrases.  (Read 16803 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Caldari Suffixes and phrases.
« Reply #75 on: 15 Aug 2013, 19:23 »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Stitcher

• Beats up helpless walls.
  • Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter
« Reply #77 on: 20 Aug 2013, 13:07 »

And a Caldari variant of -desu.

/nodnod

the problem with that is that the word "-desu" is a copula, a linking word that performs much the same function as "is" or "are" in English (as in "this is" "That is", "those are" etc.)

...except that because of the way Japanese syntax works, it comes at the end of the sentence. "This is sushi" is "kore wa sushi desu" for instance.

Napanii, however, works along the same syntactic lines as English, in that the linkage between a subject and a noun or verb comes between them. Also, the way Napanii's stem-root system works would be to have the root "this" be modified by the stem for "is" or "was" or "will be". It'd be like if I said "thisis [a] cat", "thoseare mountains", "hewasnot [a] coward". (the "a" is in square brackets like that because it performs a function that's implied in Napanii by the syntax, rather than being spoken aloud)

As it is, though, although the primer currently has words for "that" and "those" but not for "this" "them" "they" "it" "the" "some" "all" and so on. Indeed, the two words for "that/those" actually mean both "that" and "those" at the same time, and differ in how distant the thing being described is - far away, and REALLY far away.

so.

the [singular] = taa
the [plural] = taaet
it/this/that/they[singular] = Isoy
These/those/them/they[plural] = Isoyet (obeying the convention that -et = plural)
Some - ishik
All - Ishiket
is/are/has = daasuu

putting it together

"The Gallente" = "Taaet Gallentin".
"The Gallente Federation" = "Taa Gallentin Liitovalt (note that the "taa" means that the Federation is being treated as a singular entity)

"The Gallente Federation is prepared for war." = "Taa Gallentin Liitovalt daasuu valkurutui rikkonet."
"All Gallente are decadent... Are the Amarr Empire with us?" = "Ishiket Gallentin daasuu kakkushuu... Taa Amarrin Valteikoku daasuu kanssto hakiit hido?"
"They are... for now." = "Isoy sa... tai naayet."
"And what about the Minmatar? Are they a threat?" = "Samat kui taaet Minmatarin?" Daasuu isoyet kinaari hido?"
"I do not know. Their relationship with the Gallente is souring. We should be cautious." = "Hak tietostsa. Isoyet tsukulainaga ro taaet Gallentin daasuu katkeri. Hakiit pitaa vaaroeka."

This is what it sounds like. Apologies for poor mic quality. Also, I suspect this is probably what Verin sounds like when he's speaking.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2013, 13:11 by Stitcher »

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #78 on: 20 Aug 2013, 13:19 »

Stitcher... Either you have just constructed the most complex carbon nanopun in the history of humour, or you have found a way to make daasuu work in Napaani that is actually founded in linguistics.

Either way, you are awesomesauce. A little scary, sure, but awesomesauce.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #79 on: 20 Aug 2013, 14:00 »

Now you understand the power of the beard.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #80 on: 20 Aug 2013, 14:02 »

As much as I dislike the whole Napaani thing for the same reasons as Davlos (everytime he mentions it, it hilariously gets modded out; guess we're an oversensitive bunch), hearing Stitcher's vocal recording was totally awesome. I could totally picture two Caldari speaking it in my head, for that live action TV Show maybe.

Stitcher

• Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter
« Reply #81 on: 20 Aug 2013, 15:47 »

Stitcher... Either you have just constructed the most complex carbon nanopun in the history of humour, or you have found a way to make daasuu work in Napaani that is actually founded in linguistics.

I'm going to say it's both and there's no way you can prove otherwise.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #82 on: 20 Aug 2013, 16:00 »

And a Caldari variant of -desu.

/nodnod

the problem with that is that the word "-desu" is a copula, a linking word that performs much the same function as "is" or "are" in English (as in "this is" "That is", "those are" etc.)

...except that because of the way Japanese syntax works, it comes at the end of the sentence. "This is sushi" is "kore wa sushi desu" for instance.

Napanii, however, works along the same syntactic lines as English, in that the linkage between a subject and a noun or verb comes between them. Also, the way Napanii's stem-root system works would be to have the root "this" be modified by the stem for "is" or "was" or "will be". It'd be like if I said "thisis [a] cat", "thoseare mountains", "hewasnot [a] coward". (the "a" is in square brackets like that because it performs a function that's implied in Napanii by the syntax, rather than being spoken aloud)

As it is, though, although the primer currently has words for "that" and "those" but not for "this" "them" "they" "it" "the" "some" "all" and so on. Indeed, the two words for "that/those" actually mean both "that" and "those" at the same time, and differ in how distant the thing being described is - far away, and REALLY far away.

so.

the [singular] = taa
the [plural] = taaet
it/this/that/they[singular] = Isoy
These/those/them/they[plural] = Isoyet (obeying the convention that -et = plural)
Some - ishik
All - Ishiket
is/are/has = daasuu

putting it together

"The Gallente" = "Taaet Gallentin".
"The Gallente Federation" = "Taa Gallentin Liitovalt (note that the "taa" means that the Federation is being treated as a singular entity)

"The Gallente Federation is prepared for war." = "Taa Gallentin Liitovalt daasuu valkurutui rikkonet."
"All Gallente are decadent... Are the Amarr Empire with us?" = "Ishiket Gallentin daasuu kakkushuu... Taa Amarrin Valteikoku daasuu kanssto hakiit hido?"
"They are... for now." = "Isoy sa... tai naayet."
"And what about the Minmatar? Are they a threat?" = "Samat kui taaet Minmatarin?" Daasuu isoyet kinaari hido?"
"I do not know. Their relationship with the Gallente is souring. We should be cautious." = "Hak tietostsa. Isoyet tsukulainaga ro taaet Gallentin daasuu katkeri. Hakiit pitaa vaaroeka."

This is what it sounds like. Apologies for poor mic quality. Also, I suspect this is probably what Verin sounds like when he's speaking.

Heh, lol, I was being mostly facetious, but that's funny that you took it so seriously.

Although in your case you are mostly equating desu/daasuu with is/be. Well it's up to you for daasuu, but for desu, it is incorrect, I believe. It's a copula, not a verb. Though considering that I do not speak Japanese at all, I may well be wrong.

Stitcher

• Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter
« Reply #83 on: 20 Aug 2013, 16:40 »

I decided to pick it up the joke, run with it, and convert it into something that would work within the existing framework of Napanii.

I think I succeeded.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #84 on: 20 Aug 2013, 17:50 »

As much as I dislike the whole Napaani thing for the same reasons as Davlos (everytime he mentions it, it hilariously gets modded out; guess we're an oversensitive bunch), hearing Stitcher's vocal recording was totally awesome. I could totally picture two Caldari speaking it in my head, for that live action TV Show maybe.

Have you considered that the popularity of Napaani only increases each time you tell us how much you dislike it?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #85 on: 20 Aug 2013, 17:55 »

Huh? I don't think I've mentioned anywhere publicly my dislike for it.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #86 on: 20 Aug 2013, 18:07 »

On the topic at hand, I've personally always wondered if the Caldari maintain some form of suffix to denote corporate affiliation as part of social protocol with people you've just met.

"Hello citizen, I am Gesakaarin-Kaalakiota"
"Good to meet you, Gesakaarin-haan/i I am Hakatain-Ishukone"

Of course if they don't provide their corporate affiliation as part of their initial greeting then they must be nothing more than a filthy foreign devil.

I just wonder if providing your associations, positions etc. when meeting people in the State is part of the social protocols Caldari use to evaluate how they should behave and speak with each other. Although it might also vary depending on the social situation, and seen more as being part of formal protocols, business meetings and the like.

Stitcher

• Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter
« Reply #87 on: 20 Aug 2013, 18:36 »

"-haan" fills the same kind of role as "Mister" or "Sir" or "Lieutenant" or "Doctor" does. it's not a component of the name, it's an honorific and denotes rank and social position.

Caldari might well include their megacorporate affiliation when introducing themselves, yes, but they wouldn't do it that way because that'd be like if I was filling in an application form and wrote "Wales" in the section marked "title".

It'd go under the equivalent of "nationality". and in any case would quite likely be unnecessary - I daresay you could usually tell the difference between an Ishukone citizen from Lonetrek and a Lai Dai citizen from the Forge just by their accents, just like how if you meet an Australian you don't usually need to ask them which country they're from.

if they introduce themselves as "Bruce" and they're wearing a kangaroo-skin hat with corks, then they're probable British and taking the piss.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #88 on: 09 Jan 2014, 22:57 »

Not to necro the crap out of this, but if there actually is a mailing list about the Napanii update, I would love to be on it.

Nephal Khaborik

• Clonejack
« Reply #89 on: 14 Jun 2016, 22:39 »

To necro the crap out of this, Stitcher and I are working on a Napanii expansion. 

I don't want to to trample upon any soft PF that has already been developed.  I'd love for all those who were involved in Napanii 1.0 and 1.5 to be involved with 2.0.  I have huge respect for all the thought and history that went into what already exists, and, as a relative newcomer, the last thing I want to do is to dishonor the old spirit of Napanii with my own new-fangled ideas.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]