Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Frentix is a principle drug booster of Sansha's Nation?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: So, is there a new OOC forum up, or...?  (Read 15512 times)

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
Re: So, is there a new OOC forum up, or...?
« Reply #60 on: 30 Nov 2015, 05:07 »

Slack is an out of game IRC. These are not new, even Backstage has tried having one before but it never took off due to lack of saturation. And it's not much different from logging in and talking about things in in-game channels.

The main issue is having to ask directly for access. Which is Slack's fault rather than ours, because we had an automated signup method but the Slack corporate devs told us to shut it down.

I do think Backstage needs a stickied thread informing about Slack, though, as well as giving names of people to contact for access.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #61 on: 30 Nov 2015, 08:11 »

"Oh, you're not on the Slack? Well, obviously you only have yourself to blame for not knowing about (insert event here)."

This might be a relevant point if CCP ever actually announced events through Slack and not, you know, the news.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #62 on: 30 Nov 2015, 08:24 »

There's more than Live Events happening in Eve. Or so I dearly fucking hope at any rate.

Lunarisse Aspenstar

• Egger
« Reply #63 on: 30 Nov 2015, 09:47 »

Actually CCP does double post on slack on the News Channel.  Due to the real time nature of it, i tend to learn of news postings there first.

I speak as someone who grudgingly went back to Slack because it was clear I missing things not being on it.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #64 on: 30 Nov 2015, 11:00 »

CCP doesn't do that, the Slack's mod team has an automated bot feature that announces it. That kind of thing could be added to Backstage with some fiddling, if one of the admins knows how.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #65 on: 30 Nov 2015, 11:37 »

Actually CCP does double post on slack on the News Channel.  Due to the real time nature of it, i tend to learn of news postings there first.

I speak as someone who grudgingly went back to Slack because it was clear I missing things not being on it.

That's just an RSS feed bot, and it's actually way more annoying and spammy than it is helpful because it reposts every time someone fixes a typo or adds a comma.

If you have a smartphone you should be able to get updates of a similar nature just by subscribing to the RSS feed; following a couple of CCP's general handles on twitter (@eveonline in particular) will also serve the same purpose as they frequently tweet about news posts before the RSS bot catches it.

If people want to get on slack, there are two primary methods. You can sign in with the EVE SSO on this page which will use the email associated with one of your accounts (and tell us a character to use as your default display name), or if you don't trust the SSO, you can contact me or another moderator/admin with a preferred display name and an email address you don't mind being publicly visible.

Invites generally get sent out within an hour or so of being submitted, depending on time of day. AUTZ is a bit sparse.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Utari Onzo

« Reply #66 on: 30 Nov 2015, 13:41 »

I keep up to date over RSS, Slack is/was more a social tool. I still use it with CVA, but I'm using it less and less these days along with my general motivation for eve/rp.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #67 on: 30 Nov 2015, 13:54 »

Healthy people avoid this sick community.  There is plenty going on in the eve community but the 'progressive' mod team ooc/back stage chase away the exceptional, creative, and healthy people because because they don't conform to the approved group think.    Turns out when you censor anyone for thinking outside of the box, the people who think outside the box leave.      -Grayson.

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=5097.msg82197#msg82197
Let me make sure I got this right:

You're linking a thread in which the mod team's first reply is precisely about trying to preserve an atmosphere in which people with out-of-the-box ideas can communicate this without fear of disparagement... in support of your supposition that we as a team stifle same.

c/d?

fakeedit:  I've re-read the entire first page of that thread, and nothing there points to the mod team chasing away exceptional or creative posters OR allowing the community to do so, because said posters don't conform to some 'approved group think'.

I don't know what you're on about.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #68 on: 01 Dec 2015, 00:41 »

I don't know OP, every time I end up finding an RP community it seems a lot emptier once I get in than from the outside.  I get the impression that everyone who is RP'ing is all hanging out somewhere else but then when you find backstage or slack or the new OOC channel in game it turns out to be empty/mostly inactive as well.

I would honestly just say that in the last 2-3 years RP and the number of RPers has just dropped off.  IDK what happened.   Maybe it was the slow decline of eve or some old drama everyone but me knows about.  I don't think it has anything to do with CCP though. 3 years ago people said RP was dying cause CCP didn't do all the kind of stuff they are doing right now and now people complain its not enough/not good enough. 

Still more OOC complaints about RP dying than RP as usual.  But things seem pretty okay/normal, you found the RPers.  This is what seems to be left from the 'glory days.'

Whenever those were.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #69 on: 01 Dec 2015, 01:02 »

Wat.. oh and what is slack >.>

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #70 on: 01 Dec 2015, 01:11 »

Back on topic...

I've been playing for eight years as of last month; about seven to seven and a half of those have been spent as part of the group of EVE players who consider themselves roleplayers. At this point, here's how I see the situation:

Roleplay itself is neither dead nor dying. Neither, to be fair, is the population of players who consider themselves roleplayers. There are people coming and going all the time. What is changing is the ratio of content producers/creators to content consumers within that population.

When I started, there were far more people creating content for people to RP with. And the content being produced was varied, and there was usually at least something for everyone to get involved in that suited them and their character(s). These days, the producers' numbers are dwindling. Low turnout to planned and announced events (if any turnout at all), negative attitudes regarding those events either stated via channels or shitposting on the forums... is it really all that surprising that some are throwing our hands up in the air, going "fuck this," and walking away?

On the other hand, the number of content consumers (for simplicity's sake, I'm considering consumers to be people not hosting events or arcs or the like, and generally just lurking waiting for something to happen that they can react to; it's not the ideal definition but it's close enough for discussion's sake) has not just remained stable over the years but has multiplied in number. There's lots of people out there waiting to do stuff... but with the reduced number of people creating content, the variety of that content has also shrunk, and so many of the consumers don't have content that "fits" them.

It's a bit of a self-feeding cycle. The more content producers that get discouraged by low/poor response to the events and arcs they put time and effort into, the fewer events and arcs there will be for the content consumers. The fewer content producers there are creating stuff for people to do, the smaller the likelihood that what stuff is still being created is going to "fit" the content consumers out there. And the fewer content consumers that "fit" the stuff being created for them... the higher the chance that content producers will stop bothering to keep trying.

The obvious solution, of course, is to just have more people stepping up and creating content.

But it requires people to put in time and effort, and let's face it... we've got a lot of lazy (within this context) people among the roleplayer population.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #71 on: 01 Dec 2015, 01:52 »

Wat.. oh and what is slack >.>

Some kind of Twitter-esque thingy. I was invited into a Gallente militia slack where in real time they announce fleet ops.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

purple

• Obvious Gallente Plant
  • Egger
« Reply #72 on: 01 Dec 2015, 14:02 »

OP asks why the community seems dried up.   I replied with the truth which is the community acts like jerks (particularly with heavy handed moddin) and it drives people away.   

A point undeniably on topic, if not a pretty one.

People rebuttle, with snark and not logic- but they too are still on topic.

Some fellow offers  a very clearly on topic counter rebuttle with citations and logical argument - albeit in broken English.

Modding something that was clearly and undeniably on topic on the grounds of it being 'off topic' just because it's an unpopular argument IS A JERK MOVE.  Do you see the irony?   I know you do because your one of the smart ones.   You just gave Miz his\her needed citation.
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2015, 14:13 by purple »
You are RPing wrong.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #73 on: 01 Dec 2015, 14:09 »

Publius was banned, permanently, a couple years ago, for as stated in the posts I removed, evading bans and moderator action in response to personal attacks and other rule violations.

Removing his posts is neither censorship nor "heavy handed", but enforcement of a ban on a person trying to evade a ban.

Further discussion of that particular matter has a special subforum for it, and further posts in this thread on the subject will be moderated and/or moved there accordingly.
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2015, 14:11 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #74 on: 01 Dec 2015, 14:12 »

Banning someone who was sidestepping a ban with a new account, for doing exactly the same things he did before? Yeah, clearly this is "Critical thinking, reason, logic, ethics and general human decency.   The mod teams especially harsh on that last one though  - so be mindful before you light up."

No, they did not give me the [Citation Needed] because they have to this day never banned anyone for critical thinking, reason, logic, ethics or general human decency. There's definitely been mods derpin' more than once in the history of Backstage, but don't try and use this very much legitimate ban as an example against them. In this case, Morwen allowed that ridiculous charade for a damn sight longer than I would have, given how quickly it became apparent it was a previously well known shitposter trying to circumvent a previous (and still very much legitimate) ban.

That this topic was also pruned is an entirely different matter, as the discussion in this particular thread was not on topic and frankly didn't contribute anything.

I dislike a lot of the moderation here, this is not in any way a secret to any regulars, but let's not start shitting on them when they're doing their job right.

Edit: Derp, didn't spot Morpost. Feel free to prune/catacomb as necessary.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6