Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Electus Matari lost over 400 members at the start of its war with PIE Inc?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: So, is there a new OOC forum up, or...?  (Read 15559 times)

Galen Darksmith

• Wetgraver
So, is there a new OOC forum up, or...?
« on: 12 Nov 2015, 14:27 »

I feel like I've missed a migration, here.  I'm just coming back to the game after a break due to RL stuff, and while I'm not a big poster I do like to lurk and see what's going on in the RP scene.  However,  from the amount of posts it looks like there's not much going on despite the whole Drifters and Amarr Trials arc.  Is this place going the way of the old Chatsubo?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: So, is there a new OOC forum up, or...?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2015, 15:30 »

Eh, given that the Amarr trials are very faction exclusive and Drifters being Amarr focused as well, and not all that interesting to begin with... well, how much activity do you really expect to see? CCP has pretty much shut down my entire faction so why bother with anything but Fallout 4 and Starcraft 2 these days?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2015, 15:36 »

a lot of the discussion about the drifters and the amarr trials, has kind of been sucked onto other discussion venues, such as podcasts, twitch streams, slack channels, and so on. Much of this discussion is OOC, possibly because a lot of the involved people aren't the IGS RP focused people, and it seems a bit like people may be a bit fatigued about having discussed it OOC, and don't feel like re-hashing the same discussion in RP.

So, um, I dunno really. I've not been doing so much myself, feel a bit of like, writers block or something, not having so much in the way of ideas for things as I used to.
\o/

Vikarion

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2015, 22:51 »

I've been pretty busy with work, but I pretty much quit RPing after CCP and Falcon made it damn clear that the only reason the Caldari and Amarr factions exist is to get their asses kicked. I still do something now and then, but I've lost any enthusiasm for RPing.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2015, 00:02 »

I've been pretty busy with work, but I pretty much quit RPing after CCP and Falcon made it damn clear that the only reason the Caldari and Amarr factions exist is to get their asses kicked. I still do something now and then, but I've lost any enthusiasm for RPing.

Join me. Be a space cowboy.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2015, 05:06 »

I agree with Louella. People have moved on other venues like slack, podcasts, etc. The core of the RP has also shifted, between heavy RPers like us, and lighter RPers that are mostly lore afficionados and probably form now the majority of it.

Also, it's always the same issue really: before that Amarr focus the Amarr have been left into oblivion for years, while the focus was on gallente/caldari on Caldari Prime. On faction or two have the spotlight, and the rest gets put in a coma state until it's their turn again.

That, and a certain part of us old RPers, have pretty much stopped caring that much about a lore we deem more and more nonsensical and clumsily handed.

Also yeah, the focus has also shifted heavily onto drifters and Anoikis stuff, and while some things are interesting in themselves, it radically changes everything on the kind of RP we get, as well as might not interest everyone of us here either (and more lore afficionados).
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2015, 05:13 by Lyn Farel »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2015, 09:33 »

Pity, that. Me, I don't see any reason to care who wins or loses the metaplot.

I've got a part to play, and miserable tragedy's as good as glorious awesomeness for that. Better, even.

I do notice the quiet on Backstage, though.

Edit:

Also, I'm betting a few people are distracted with Fallout.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2015, 09:52 »

Yup. I don't mind losing as long as the losing itself is fun and immersive. The problem with Tony G era was that the losses he imposed were hamfisted and made no sense.

Also yes, Aria. Fallout is all I've been doing since it's come out. Probably the same for a lot of people this week.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2015, 09:57 »

There isn't a new forum, but it is quieter in general. Pretty quiet ingame too fwiw.

Likely a combination of factors, which people have already listed. Slack is a thing for people who prefer more immediate chat-like discussions, Fallout/SC2 just got released, a number of us were (or still are) involved in the Succession Trials...

The win/lose thing is nonsense, imo. The State is not in a 'losing' position right now and hasn't been for a while. The death of the zombie spacelesbian princess was a good thing, not a bad thing, for the storyline. Arguments can be made about the quality of the manner in which she bit it, but her death itself will bring interesting changes to the table.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2015, 09:59 »

I.. may be wrong but I think that Vic was more hinting at bad portrayal than victory/defeat? On that I could agree.

And personally, well yeah, I don't connect much since there is nobody in EUTZ anyway. I moved on another MMO where we aren't lying to ourselves saying that RP is all fine and as good as ever. I'm not saying that RP is dead, Eve is dying, etc, but RP sure is slowly collapsing.

It's normal. It happens eventually.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2015, 10:54 »

Yeah, it's not about winning or losing as such, as it is the portrayal. Good work, we're officially raving psychotic maniacs now, on top of being flat out stupid. Of course, that was back when we actually existed in New Eden. I'm pretty sure that Elder "let's fuck off to wherever" plan has been put into effect because we certainly aren't doing anything in New Eden.

Vikarion

« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2015, 11:41 »

I.. may be wrong but I think that Vic was more hinting at bad portrayal than victory/defeat? On that I could agree.

Well, it's both. I've written about it extensively elsewhere, but it basically comes down to "every faction should be good at something". There should be different benefits, RP-wise, from signing up with one faction or another. You know, the State is supposed to be a corporate slightly-fascist nation, but also not too bad a place to live, the strongest military, and a great industrial base. Gallente are flighty fame-seekers, but also the freest nation in New Eden, commercially powerful, have a huge population, and a very stable system, not to mention being the cultural force in the cluster.

And so forth.

Instead what we got was the CEO calling the State essentially "space-nazis" and CCP Falcon (as well as the rest of the team) apparently deciding that the Federation needed to be the best at everything. And that, to make it absolutely clear, everyone has to be railroaded into that. So we get the Battle of Caldari Prime, where CCP notices that their side is losing, so they simply spawn Moros's at 0 until they win (ask I-RED about that if you want an earful). This is just an example, keep in mind that the news articles haven't been a panacea either. Incidentally, this came after a long series of events of Heth and the State completely failing, which I get, but it was basically punishing RPers for something they never wanted in the first place (except for Kim, I suppose). And then we can't even help topple the guy ourselves, no, it has to be the Gallente. Yay.

So, after that, they then pull one of the most "What-the-ever-loving-fuck" moves in EvE RP history, with Colelie. You can justify everything, if you want, but the most likely explanation is that after the Federation had its way with Amarr (Kador), and Caldari, it was time to prove that they were better than those damn tribals, too.

My personal theory is that CCP saw falling subscriber numbers and figured that the Federation, (as the "good guys" and the democracy, which people from America and Western Europe would theoretically identify with more) would bring in more players and keep more players if they made it the winner at everything it did and used it as the public RP front. Good luck with that.
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2015, 11:56 by Vikarion »

Vikarion

« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2015, 11:51 »

Pity, that. Me, I don't see any reason to care who wins or loses the metaplot.

I've got a part to play, and miserable tragedy's as good as glorious awesomeness for that. Better, even.

I do notice the quiet on Backstage, though.

I don't want to be mean, but it's slightly disingenuous to argue that I should be less invested in the metaplot when your own character essentially isn't.

Let me be clear: I'm not invested in the plot as a person, in RL. In RL, I do not give a good goddamn about the State, or the EvE cluster. But I did make the decision to have my character invested in the State. Yes, in retrospect, dumb, but a lot of people made the mistake of not rolling a Gallente character if they wanted to be loyalists, it seems.

And even more to the point, sure, I can take miserable tragedy. The problem is when it is year after year of miserable tragedy compounded by mind-boggling stupidity. Actually, mostly stupidity.

I chose a character invested in the State because I liked the idea of a shadowrun-ish style corpacracy backed up with a powerful military. I accepted the downsides of that. What I didn't realize was that I was signing up with the Always Losing For Reasons of Stupidity faction. If that had been advertised, I wouldn't have invested my character in factional loyalties.

Well, maybe CCP will change things. In any case, the character Vikarion is too invested in the State and I don't think it's reasonable to try to pull him away from that. So, basically, except for a little unrelated stuff here and there, I'm out.

« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2015, 11:55 by Vikarion »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2015, 12:28 »

Pretty much everything you just said can be equally applied to the Tribals. The only faction that doesn't get stomped into the ground on a regular basis are the Amarr, and the few times they do get hit it's by the space magic Dark Eldar Jove.

Iwan Terpalen

• Clonejack
« Reply #14 on: 13 Nov 2015, 12:58 »

Whoop-de-fucking-doo, another round of the misery olympics.

Obliquely, though, I guess that's as good an answer to the original post's question.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6