Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That "Perfection ain't all it's cracked up to be" is an Angel Cartel saying? (Region Description)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer  (Read 12061 times)

Vikarion

Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer
« Reply #30 on: 10 Nov 2015, 21:56 »

I have to disagree about the control issues. While Mizhara's impression was also mine at the start of the game, I've quickly come to realize that there's an underlying logic behind the control scheme, and it doesn't take long to intuitively pick up. The conversation setup is pretty much the same as Mass Effect's, and you can use your mouse to select choices, so I don't see the problem there.

There are two areas where the control scheme really does suffer: the workshop, and the perk menu. The Perk menu requires you to hold down the right mouse button and move to scroll up and down, which is odd. The workshop simply suffers from needing too many keys because there are so many options. Nonetheless, I find that the ease of building things and putting a settlement together once you've mastered the scheme more than makes up for it.

I haven't had any problems with mouse-smoothing or aiming. It may just be the sucky guns you get at the start. Once you get an upgraded 10mm pistol with accuracy enhancers, you can easily hit just about any target.

I'm really enjoying this game.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #31 on: 11 Nov 2015, 02:10 »

I'm enjoying Fallout so far. I've got about 16 hours in already. <.<

There are some control issues, but they haven't bothered me that much. Yes they're obviously a port, but they are manageable and the UI itself is far better than Skyrim's.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 11 Nov 2015, 03:04 »

I have heard it's mostly skyrim with gun? A big, empty open space with a bare minimum story that can't compete on the same level than NV (because Obsidian).

Vikarion

« Reply #33 on: 11 Nov 2015, 03:14 »

I have heard it's mostly skyrim with gun? A big, empty open space with a bare minimum story that can't compete on the same level than NV (because Obsidian).

Story is far more than "bare minimum". It's actually somewhat hard to avoid.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #34 on: 11 Nov 2015, 04:57 »

I meant more in terms of depth/quality..

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #35 on: 11 Nov 2015, 05:16 »

Well whaddaya know, managed to unlock the framerate and deactivate the mouse acceleration and smoothing, making the actual movement and aiming etc actually kind of decent. That broke lockpicking. Completely. I'll have to force a framerate differently I guess. Who the actual fuck ties physics and gameplay to framerate in 2015?

Ah well, at least I got in a full five minutes of that before the crash that forced me to do the very first forced reboot in over a year.

Time to fiddle with the Nvidia controlpanel so I might get a reasonable framerate lock instead of freakin' 30. Unlocked I get over a hundred FPS so there's really no excuse for locking it to anything below 60, even if you somehow get over the fact that they tied gameplay to freakin' framerate in twenty fuckin' fifteen.

The game may be fucking amazing underneath all this shit, but come on. These are fucking basics these days and there's really no god damn excuse. If this had been any other IP, the devs would have been hauled out on the street and whipped by now.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #36 on: 11 Nov 2015, 05:40 »

I meant more in terms of depth/quality..

Bethesda has vastly improved for Fallout 4. They've actually learned how to story and character. It's not quite Bioware/Obsidian, no, but compared to previous Bethesda titles it's really really good.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #37 on: 11 Nov 2015, 05:42 »

As for framerate locking, I can't even get to 30 with graphics on medium-high.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 11 Nov 2015, 05:50 »

Yeah, that'd keep you safe but you'd think Bethesda would know reasonably high-end PCs do exist and would accommodate that. Everything's set to max except I turned off motion blur (never seen a game implement that well anyway), so getting 100+ unlocked does say nice things about optimization. Not so nice things about the physics.

Got it locked to 60 and it seems to have fixed things somewhat, but this time the driver crashed, heh.

It's been a long time since I've had to fight a game this vigorously to make it work acceptably. Having to dive through inis and pref files is more nostalgic than the game itself.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 11 Nov 2015, 08:25 »

Considering how much money they are printing they have little incentive for more quality control in the future.  ie if they sell this many with a buggy port why spend another month of QA next time?

Would have been nice in a different gfx engine though, saw some nice mockups of fallout areas in cryengine, was very pretty.

Anyway gogo mech suits have fun yall

Lyn Farel

« Reply #40 on: 11 Nov 2015, 08:44 »

The engine hardly does your art direction.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #41 on: 11 Nov 2015, 08:50 »

It's been a long time since I've had to fight a game this vigorously to make it work acceptably. Having to dive through inis and pref files is more nostalgic than the game itself.

Ironically, this is the least bug-ridden Bethesda game I've had. I've only had one CTD, and one keyboard freeze (happened when alt-tabbing while in conversation).

What you describe is what I had with other Bethesda games, but not with this one.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 11 Nov 2015, 08:54 »

I have no problems with the visuals. Hell, I still think FO3 and NV holds up just fine visually, vanilla. They're actually fantastic examples of how it's not what your engine is capable of that matters, but what you do with it. Wandering the wastelands have always been a fantastic experience because of the design style and art they've used rather than polygon count and texture resolution. I'll never complain about higher quality in those things, but nor are they the be-all and end-all of visual quality.

Sneaking through subway tunnels and slow walking through the wastelands have always felt amazing to me, because both Bethesda and Obsidian have been very good at art design, asset creation, world building and so on.

My gripes with this release has entirely been about the UI and technical aspects from being a rather shitty console port in all aspects but optimization. I expected it to be bad given the previous releases, but this was worse than expected. Like X games etc, it's something I'll probably get used to in time, but there's no way around the fact that it's terrible design.

It's really weird how some of the best games out there tends to hide underneath some terrible UIs.

@Samira: It's not so much the bugs (I've only really experienced a few, one major crash, one driver crash which may be Nvidia's fault, and a few conversation/subtitle derps) as it is the UI design and interface setup. I mean really, forced mouse acceleration, mouse smoothing, framerate lock at thirty, no FOV options in menus, every in-game interface being clearly controller focused etc etc. This is really bad porting.

Most of it's fortunately fixable if you're willing to dive through three different .inis to mess with it, but the basic UI design is just not fixable. At least not until the modders have had a lot of time working on it and maybe not even then depending on how they're built into the game.
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2015, 09:00 by Mizhara »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #43 on: 11 Nov 2015, 08:59 »

That's because most of the best games are made for both PC and console, and thus are typically built to accommodate the limitations of consoles.

Fucking consoles. PC Master Race.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 11 Nov 2015, 10:07 »

Bethesda titles have consistently put "huge" ahead of "functional." This is a tradition going back two decades.

Anybody else remember the elevators in "Daggerfall"? Tied to your PC's internal clock. Keep constantly jumping, pray you don't get a long load mid-ascent, and keep a Slow Fall and Teleport on tap just in case. In a pinch, just leave the damn elevator at the bottom of the shaft and CLIMB the damn thing.

Or levitate.

Edit:

Did anyone else do their fast travel in Morrowind via ballistic arc? Load a random magic item with Jump up to its eyeballs (duration: maybe 2 seconds), hurl yourself into the sky, use Slow Fall to give yourself a safe landing? Had to be able to see the ground coming, though. Foggy days were my bane....
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2015, 10:13 by Aria Jenneth »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7