Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That light pits, used to hold ships in place, are filled with complex electronic equipment, have no safety boundaries, and are lit with a dim blue light when not in use? (The Burning Life p. 77)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer  (Read 12037 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer
« Reply #15 on: 06 Nov 2015, 09:41 »

If indeed.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 09 Nov 2015, 14:39 »

And here's an aggregate of reviews, big and small.

Seems to largely be quite positive, but I'm a bit worried that it might be Skyrim Part Deux, where the initial reviews are raving and two weeks later everyone realizes that it might be vast as the ocean but deep as a puddle. There's also the obvious problem where the great majority of gaming "press" displays a complete and utter enslavement to hype. If something's hyped as fuck, it's ten out of ten, game of the year no matter how it's really playin'.

In short, I'm putting zero stocks in reviews. Not that it matters, it's FO4 so it's already purchased and pre-loaded and will likely get hundreds of hours of playtime anyway.

The bit that really worries me is the conversation mechanic. It definitely looks horrible. Everything else I'm pretty much on board with.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 09 Nov 2015, 14:43 »

And here's an aggregate of reviews, big and small.

Seems to largely be quite positive, but I'm a bit worried that it might be Skyrim Part Deux, where the initial reviews are raving and two weeks later everyone realizes that it might be vast as the ocean but deep as a puddle. There's also the obvious problem where the great majority of gaming "press" displays a complete and utter enslavement to hype. If something's hyped as fuck, it's ten out of ten, game of the year no matter how it's really playin'.

In short, I'm putting zero stocks in reviews. Not that it matters, it's FO4 so it's already purchased and pre-loaded and will likely get hundreds of hours of playtime anyway.

The bit that really worries me is the conversation mechanic. It definitely looks horrible. Everything else I'm pretty much on board with.

Yeap.

I really mostly agree with RPS reviews though, so I like that this article is nuanced, talks about all the fun he had and the time he would continue to spend there after a 50 hour playthrough, but doesn't pull punches with the games defects.

But it is as we thought, Skyrim with Guns.  For good or bad ; )

Let us know how your play goes :)

Nissui

« Reply #19 on: 09 Nov 2015, 15:34 »

Looking forward to the Backstage FO4 RP play-through fiction thread.

;)

Jev North

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 09 Nov 2015, 15:35 »

For the love of God, save before you get onto an elevator.
Pinocchio forces another handful of flesh into his tiny wooden mouth. "You are what you eat," he sobs. "You are what you eat."

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 09 Nov 2015, 15:37 »

Nub. Playing a Bethesda game without wearing out the quicksave key, and having three separate savegames at any given moment covering the last five minutes of gameplay? Someone hasn't played these games before.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #22 on: 09 Nov 2015, 18:37 »

;)

If we say Vik's name 3 times does he appear?

Vikarion Vikarion Vikarion \o\
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 09 Nov 2015, 19:13 »

Nub. Playing a Bethesda game without wearing out the quicksave key, and having three separate savegames at any given moment covering the last five minutes of gameplay? Someone hasn't played these games before.

I laughed out loud at that one.

Have fun on your runs you people of the wasteland

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 10 Nov 2015, 14:05 »

So, still have the epilogue for LotV to do before I start up FO4 (and what a test of will that has been), but reading up on things make it quite apparent that this release has some major issues. A lot of nonsense like physics tied to framerate, different sensitivities on different axis, forced v-sync, forced mouse acceleration and smoothing and other complete bullshit things that seem to be carried over from the console focused development.

Here's a few guides on how to tweak your FO4 installation to not be retarded:

Reddit post for some ini tweaking and a Steam Guide for a some similar and some different bits of tweaking. These should let you get a more decent experience.

Be aware that ini tweaks etc are notorious for being herpderped by game updates, so you might have to do them over and over again as Bethesda pushes patches.

Vikarion

« Reply #25 on: 10 Nov 2015, 14:18 »

;)

Yes.  :)  It's going to happen. Not soon, cause I have work, but yeah.

Also, while I don't like some elements of the Fallout 4 interface, the anti-frustration measures are enough to make up for that. And the atmospherics are excellent. This is the first Fallout game where the wasteland can actually invoke nostalgia and sadness for me. Which is awesome.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 10 Nov 2015, 16:21 »

;)

Yes.  :)  It's going to happen. Not soon, cause I have work, but yeah.

Also, while I don't like some elements of the Fallout 4 interface, the anti-frustration measures are enough to make up for that. And the atmospherics are excellent. This is the first Fallout game where the wasteland can actually invoke nostalgia and sadness for me. Which is awesome.

A WILD VIKARION SUDDENLY APPEARS

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #27 on: 10 Nov 2015, 17:21 »

Op success. :lol:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 10 Nov 2015, 18:56 »

Sad to say my first impressions here are terrible. The graphics are fine and so on, but the whole game stinks of consoleitis. Every single bit of the interface is made for a controller, and it's actually a terrible experience to play with KBnM. When it's even worse than FO3/NV and Skyrim, that should say a thing or two. Sometimes they actually expect you to use both the arrow keys and wasd for things, simultaneously, and don't even get me started on the conversation picker.

Ah well, I got used to other horrible UIs so I'll get used to this.

The complaints about mouse acceleration and smoothing are also spot on. Actually aiming is damn near impossible. I'll be having to dive into the guides I linked above to try and salvage this mess.

I am very disappointed at this state of affairs. I could play FO3/NV and Skyrim vanilla, modless, but this is going to take a lot of people a lot of manhours to unfuck.

Story and world-design seems to be good though, but don't take my word for it just yet. I'm not that far in.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 10 Nov 2015, 20:33 »

I might sit this one out. Bethesda sandboxes are great, don't get me wrong, but there's a quality of having been here and done this a few times before. Also, my favorite parts of Bethesda's work are archery and alchemy, so unless they hand me a bow and let me compound my own poisons out of found materials this is already playing second fiddle.

Think I'll focus on Eve and save my "other game" enthusiasm for "Bloodborne: The Old Hunters" and "Dark Souls 3."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7