Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hubert Caissor was a Gallentean senator who, along with his entire family and personal wealth, disappeared aboard the starship Peralles while jumping from the Dom-Aphis system to Iderion.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer  (Read 12063 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer
« Reply #90 on: 23 Nov 2015, 18:25 »

Huge list of mods for FO4, in various categories from graphics/visual improvements, through quality of life stuff, settlement building and more. I'm quite impressed with this list and will be having some fun with a lot of these.

To no one's great surprise, a Bethesda game is being taken from good to excellent by the modders.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #91 on: 23 Nov 2015, 19:40 »

Apparently they put the Cheers bar in the game. Guess I know one landmark I'll recognize when I walk past it eventually.

Used to make my mom drive us past it all the time when I'd go into work with her when I was little.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #92 on: 23 Nov 2015, 19:58 »

Huh, didn't know that. I may even have been there and not realized.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #93 on: 23 Nov 2015, 20:09 »

It's called "Prost Bar" or something similar I think. Don't have the imgur album on hand atm.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #94 on: 23 Nov 2015, 20:16 »

I'll look it up later. I'm currently binging Blizz games, after my second LotV playthrough. Turns out I -can- like mobas, if they're Heroes of the Storm where they've taken out a lot of the derp mechanics of other mobas (last hitting, etc) and polished the rest to a mirror finish. No idea if it'll have staying power, as I kind of hate the monetizing model. Just let me buy a god damn game, guys. I'll pay forty to sixty bucks, euro, pounds or dollarydoos, whatever, for a game and I'll happily play it. I'll even add some more money to your bank accounts if I find skins or other vanity stuff I like enough (and I like your game enough). Making me either grind my ass off for ages -or- pay the equivalent of between three and ten full releases to have all the content gives me the bleeding shits.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #95 on: 18 Dec 2015, 13:32 »

Well ... after leveling one character to 50 and another (better) one on the rise, I think I'm ready to render a verdict.

Pretty damn good game.

A few general thoughts:

* No VATS grenade-hucking! BOO HISS! (I've also been finding explosives underpowered, generally.)

* Survival mode, theoretically super-hard, is too easy. It starts off really rough, but if you have any meaningful synchronicity among your perks it gets way easier in a hurry. Admittedly, that's with a stealth build running solo so that I don't have any allies to screw it up for me.

* On the subject of perks: certain builds are horrifically unbalanced.  I've been running a stealth gunslinger type with the Deliverer, the Railroad's unique 10mm silenced pistol, and the little thing one-shots most targets (the Sandman perk is a must if you use silenced guns-- it's how you build up stealth gun headshots to be a match for stealth melee). What it doesn't one-shot, it minces with multiple sneak attacks. If you take Concentrated Fire, you can build even a 1% hit chance (due to distance, not cover) into an easy kill by burning the better part of a clip downrange. It is now the only weapon I bother to carry. You can do much the same thing with a silenced, VATS-enhanced tactical hunting rifle; just optimize for VATS efficiency and save that blingy marksman stock for the rifle you actually snipe with.

* The Penetrator perk is initially disappointing (I briefly got the idea that it just plain didn't work) until you realize that while it doesn't just let you shoot through walls or even a few things it seems like you should, what it does let you do is horrifying. Like, line up enemies, aim a headshot at the last in line, and watch everybody keel over. Or casually blow the usually nigh-unhittable fusion power core on a sentry bot with a single pistol shot. Or blow the face plate off a mirelurk from behind.

* The enemy burrowing/teleport/instant detection mechanic: awesome and fun when mole rats do it (pistol-based whack-a-mole!). Horrifying (at first, good), then frustrating (bad) when legendary albino radscorpions do it.

Having something fragile able to pull those kinds of shenanigans is one thing; an armored melee nightmare that I can't get out of melee with is something else again. It's pretty cool having something that makes me actively look for a rock to stand on, but less cool when the damn thing shows decidedly super-arthropod intelligence by realizing that it can't reach me, I can hurt it, and therefore it should hide until I set one goddamn foot down on soft, diggable ground again.

Add the Legendary instant-regeneration ability and you've got a seriously problematic critter. This is the sole exception I've encountered to survival mode being too easy.

* I wanted a New Vegas-style survival mode, but that would get pretty pointless with all the homesteading you end up doing.

About that:

* I initially didn't give a damn, but it does do a fine job of making me feel invested in the game. Local Leader is damn near mandatory and (therefore) should be MUCH easier to acquire.

* Expanding settlements as fast as Preston wants you to is actually a bad idea. Better to take it slow and fortify things properly as you go.

* Missile turrets: So. Worth. It.

* ... On which note, I wish the silly system wouldn't keep giving me "help defend" objectives and doing HORRIBLE things to my settlements if I don't show up, considering that showing up usually means standing there and twiddling my thumbs while listening to raiders dying in volleys of rocket fire. I know it's not set up to properly run battles in my absence, but low level enemies against even one missile turret is a slaughter. So far even combat armored Gunners get reliably dismembered.

On the plot:

I've seen some complaints about the lack of a karma system and factions (outside the raiders, supermutants, and other always-hostile "hazard" factions) you really want to kill. Essentially everybody you can side with has some good points, some bad points, and some good people working for them. However, the factions are at loggerheads and at least one, probably two, will just have to go ... meaning, everybody dies, including people you like.

I actually like this change. Considering the game's "war ... war never changes" postapocalyptic theme, the good-versus-evil structure was always inherently hypocritical. You can't very well go make a story about the tragic aftermath of nuclear war and then make it "okay" to (often literally) nuke all the bad people. Ultimately, a lot of who you end up siding with, whom you define as "good" or as "evil," depends on your beliefs about some pretty arguable and complicated issues, not on who's nice and who isn't.

If you take sides sufficiently to see it through to the end, people who probably don't deserve it, who might even be your friends, will die. Too bad. That's war, and war never changes.

Right on. Well goddamn done, Bethesda.

For the record, I ended up siding with the Institute for my first playthrough. The Railroad has a point about respect for sapient life and the Brotherhood's probably not wrong about technological hubris, but I'm NOT about to blow the Commonwealth's equivalent of Isaac Asimov's Foundation to perdition just because the rest of the Commonwealth is scared of them.

... even if they do have an unfortunate habit of trying to strip the Commonwealth for parts.

... and they forgot to institute all three Laws of Robotics.

... and they haven't quite worked out that there's no meaningful difference between people they've created and people they didn't create-- there are definite signs that they're picking up on that, though.

... and there's that whole doppelganger program they've got going.

Okay, so they're legitimately scary. I'm still not about to just kill them all. Besides, that teleporter is really useful for saving time on settlement defense.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2015, 16:28 by Aria Jenneth »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #96 on: 18 Dec 2015, 16:33 »

The fact that you become the leader of the Institute if you join them basically completely nullifies the Railroad's point. It's not given as an option in the game, but there would theoretically be nothing stopping you from deciding to give more freedoms to the synths once you take over. Same thing with the other bad points (like deposing people to install infiltrators).

So yeah, Institute is the bunch I went with. It overall seems to have the best intentions in mind, and its major bad points are stuff you realistically wouldn't have to settle with once you become boss. Changing the system from within is always better than nuking it.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2015, 16:37 by Samira Kernher »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #97 on: 18 Dec 2015, 16:55 »

The fact that you become the leader of the Institute if you join them basically completely nullifies the Railroad's point. It's not given as an option in the game, but there would theoretically be nothing stopping you from deciding to give more freedoms to the synths once you take over. Same thing with the other bad points (like deposing people to install infiltrators).

So yeah, Institute is the bunch I went with. It overall seems to have the best intentions in mind, and its major bad points are stuff you realistically wouldn't have to settle with once you become boss. Changing the system from within is always better than nuking it.

Concur, but I also note that the Institute is one faction where you wouldn't realistically be able to just change policy by fiat. You're the Director, but the board isn't just a board of advisers.

My ultimate concerns with the Institute, such as they are, relate more to their approach to the wasteland than their treatment of synths. Even leaving the doppelgangers aside, they've basically (per Father, that speech you give over the radio, and certain missions) given up on the surface, which means they're free to use it as a laboratory (GMO melons, anyone?) and resource cache. Their approach to wastelanders reminds me a lot of how the Caldari approach Nonentities: "I don't really mean you any harm, but you're not useful. Just stay out of my way if you don't want to get hurt."

They may not plan on making the surface world "cease to exist," themselves, whatever Tinker Tom's suspicions, but they certainly don't put any effort into preserving it. What they want, they mostly just take, and gen 1 synths in the wasteland operate weapons-free by default.

All that said, once I set up a savegame in proximity to all the various faction endings so I can see them all and check-list them off my trophy collection, my current character will also probably side with the Institute. [spoiler]Even with everything I've said, and everything she's gone through, I can't see my character killing her own son, even if he's dying, older than she is, and a wee bit morally compromised.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2015, 17:05 by Aria Jenneth »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #98 on: 18 Dec 2015, 19:31 »

It's a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Everyone is using it as a resource cache, because that's the only way you can survive.

"I don't really mean you any harm, but you're not useful. Just stay out of my way if you don't want to get hurt." is, IMO, the rule of the wasteland. The only case where that's different is with raiders, because raiders do mean people harm. In a post-apocalyptic setting, everyone is a scavenger.

Also, they are seeking to preserve it. It's just, preservation to them is a matter of repairing the damage, not just accepting the irradiated husk that is left.

[spoiler]And yes, for mine, the Institute's goals were really rather secondary to A) finding her son, and B) being the safest, most secure, most advanced place left on Earth. She wasn't a soldier, or a freedom fighter, or a policewoman, or a mayor. She found what she had been looking for, in the most livable place left in the wasteland, so no reason to leave it. What negatives there were are ones that can be corrected with time.[/spoiler]

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #99 on: 19 Dec 2015, 02:16 »

Yeah, that's the counter-argument I make in my own head.

The counter-counter argument is that most people other than Raiders and the Institute don't displace or kill the current residents in order to get what they want. That, however, (counter-counter-counter) might be more to do with who's been in charge when than any pervasive Institutional attitude.

[spoiler]The initial head of Synth Retention was enough of an obvious problem that I had no problem whatsoever with framing him for a bunch of synth escapes to make sure the Institute was rid of him. In fact, the story the true malefactor/benefactor came up with for the frameup job was one I suspected from the start, and was disappointed to learn I was wrong.

Apparently I'm not over-burdened with moral qualms when it comes to producing the right outcome.[/spoiler]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]