Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That there are minmatar who willingly serve the Amarr empire? More here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: It's On. (Succession Trials Details)  (Read 18959 times)

Shaikar

• Clonejack
Re: It's On. (Succession Trials Details)
« Reply #30 on: 29 Sep 2015, 17:33 »

I'm hoping CCP will have the will to finish the purge of the terrible mary sue-esque characters.
Heth and Jamyl down, Khanid and Shakor to go.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #31 on: 29 Sep 2015, 22:24 »

I'm hoping CCP will have the will to finish the purge of the terrible mary sue-esque characters.

Khanid and Shakor pre-date Heth and Jamyl (as characters) by quite a bit, I think different people worked on them.

Khanid came with what, bloodlines in 2006? Zombie Jamyl and Heth were 2008 :P

ValentinaDLM

• Wetgraver
  • Totally a Toaster
« Reply #32 on: 29 Sep 2015, 23:57 »

Khanid and Shakor pre-date Heth and Jamyl (as characters) by quite a bit, I think different people worked on them.

Khanid came with what, bloodlines in 2006? Zombie Jamyl and Heth were 2008 :P

And Shakor is already out of the picture, they quietly made the Sanmatar not have a vote in the tribal council, so the current Republic government has Shakor as nothing more than a figurehead, the power resting in the chiefs of the Tribes (who form the tribal council along with the Sanmatar) and the representatives in the Republic Parliament (of which all tribes get equal seats). The Prime Minister has observer privileges in the Tribal council.

So, Shakor went from someone with supreme power, to someone whose sole power, is to declare an emergency and act in the stead of the Tribal council, but they can with a simple majority revoke that state of emergency at any time and in doing so, remove him from the position of SanMatar unless they take a 3/4 majority vote to keep him in power.

So the TL;DR: is that Maleatu Shakor is already effectively removed from the story line in the way he was originally written.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #33 on: 30 Sep 2015, 01:50 »

I have difficulty to believe in someone that got invested with supreme power, made his best to get rid of hiw old rival, and then suddenly giving up on all that power... Out of what ? Idealism ?

Okay... Why not, but I got to admit that it's not very... easy to find in all of RL History.

Ah, perhaps maybe... I certainly haven't heard of all the leaders of all times either...

I'm rather fine with where they are now with the Minmatar government structure in any case.

I also rather liked what Khanid brought to the lore back in time... It was not total heresy, it was not orthodoxy either, but at first it sure looked like it... Until political realities turned it into some kind of awkward far fetched heterodoxy making conservatives grit their teeth, with a state of cold war between the two...

It really was about how far was the empire willing to go towards heresies and most importantly here since it's all about politics, where the heirs and lords were willing to go to punish a rebellious lord.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2015, 01:55 by Lyn Farel »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 30 Sep 2015, 08:22 »

They tried pretty hard to punish him; he kicked their asses and they invaded the kingdom a few times since then.  All beaten back.   It's one of the lore reasons for the caldari partnership as the kingdom is relatively tiny and has to keep their fleets technologically advanced to keep up with the much, much larger imperial Navy.

I look at it as sort of a combination of trying to successfully invade Afghanistan (no one has ever pulled it off)  mixed with a north/south Korea cold war for 300 years. 

The kingdom could never, ever invade the empire, they be obliterated, but the have their tiny backwater region the empire just got tired of dealing with "fine keep it gaaaawd"

Lyn Farel

« Reply #35 on: 30 Sep 2015, 10:29 »

Invasions all beaten back?

Out of curiosity, do you have any sources on that..?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 30 Sep 2015, 11:44 »

Will look.

IIRC there was a big invasion at the get go to take him out, and he made it not worth their while to press it, the new emperor had to consolidate his own power and it didn't go anywhere.   I will have to find sources but I do recall it being mentioned they tried a few times since, and the 'cold war' had occasional flare ups on the border, raids on both sides etc for generations.  Will look for source later. Khanid folks will say they beat them back every time, empire folks will say they had better things to do and couldn't committ fully.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #37 on: 30 Sep 2015, 13:30 »

Yeah I seem to remember that an obvious invasion was planned at first all naturally, but since the new emperor had to consolidate his power, coupled with the fact that Khanid II also had a true deterrent with his stolen Imud Hubrau Iapetan titan... And I would indeed imagine that some skirmishes flared up...

But I don't remember any real invasion happening though...

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 30 Sep 2015, 13:56 »

As far as I know there were no invasion attempts. Khanid holding half the Imperial Fleet was a sufficient deterrent.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #39 on: 30 Sep 2015, 14:59 »

Open Warfare

The Empire's refusal to immediately engage the Khanid Kingdom in warfare allowed Khanid II plenty of opportunity to fortify his borders. Additionally, his forces gained valuable experience fighting against Dakos's rebellion. When the Amarr Empire finally gathered its fleets to attack the Kingdom, Khanid was already well-entrenched.

Additionally, Emperor Heideran, fearing possible internal dissent, suppressed the Order of St. Tetrimon and declared their leader, Lozera Riana, a heretic. Lozera was imprisoned in Dam-Torsad, while Tetrimon artifacts were seized and destroyed by Imperial authorities. Khanid II welcomed the Order to the Kingdom and benefited greatly from their presence, especially as the Order began to learn to defend itself from those who wished to destroy it.[5]

Full fledged war between the two sides lasted only a few years. It quickly became evident to the commanders of the Imperial Navy that the Khanid were too-well defended to simply overrun. They realized that the only pathway to victory would be a long, excruciating war of attrition that would end up wiping out the majority of the Khanid people, take a large portion of the Empire along with them, and potentially send the Empire spiraling into a second dark age.

Presented with this information, Emperor Heideran slowly reduced forces on the front over the years. He knew that Khanid was not interested in invading the Empire, but he also knew he could not simply walk away from the fight. Instead, gradually allowed the war to slip into a cold stalemate, with both sides warily watching each other across the borders with only a few incursions to maintain the illusion of a hot war.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Unchallenged_Era_of_the_Amarr_Empire#Khanid_Rebellion

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 30 Sep 2015, 15:03 »

yea also from the wiki:

"Though the Empire's invasions of the Kingdom were turned back by his more tactically sound fleet, he realized the advantages of fighting defensively would prove disastrous if he attempted a direct invasion of the Empire."

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 02 Oct 2015, 11:27 »

Anyone ever wondered how exactly Khanid became elegible as Heir to the throne again?

The rules don't apply in the same way to the rich and powerful. This was especially true of feudalism.

Maybe that's infuriating, but it's certainly not inexplicable.

While not the same rules apply to the rich and powerful apply as to the poor and destitute for obvious reasons, that doesn't mean that they don't play by rules at all.

Neither did I state that Khanid's return is inexplicable: I rather stated that is is inexplicated, when - to present a consistent storyline, rather than story jumps and bumps - it shoule be explicated to some extent beyond 'PC and TC said so! *poof*' at least.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #42 on: 02 Oct 2015, 15:41 »

has it been confirmed that all the Heir characters will be killed off, following resolution of the succession trials ?

a couple posts on the eve forums seem to suggest that it has.
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #43 on: 02 Oct 2015, 16:55 »

has it been confirmed that all the Heir characters will be killed off, following resolution of the succession trials ?

a couple posts on the eve forums seem to suggest that it has.

sources?

Not to be melodramatic but if khanid commits suicide without some secret plotz (tm) to clone jump or something that will be derpitude of the highest order. 

Lyn Farel

« Reply #44 on: 03 Oct 2015, 02:20 »

Maybe this time he might be the one that gets tricked? I mean, they are probably expecting him not to comply again too...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7