Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 1st Praetorian Guard is an Amarrian Imperial Navy-affiliated Special Operations unit? Read more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Dear CCP (revisited)  (Read 17430 times)

Integra Valentine

• Clonejack
Re: Dear CCP (revisited)
« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2015, 20:54 »

According to the novels (Not sure if they are classified as canon so don't kill me) the Other is known by her adviser (Lord Falak, I think?) and a few of her high up staff and generals, and nobody knows how powerful the Jove Observatories are right? Who says they can't detect a sig spike in New Eden when something that psychically powerful hits? Or can't register stuff like that? Who says they dont monitor the people of New Eden? Or have a back door into the CONCORD/CAPSULEER network? If they did they would be able to find a connection somewhere to Jayml being cloned, or a reference somewhere, power spikes that were un registered, who knows?

I mean, think about it, the Jove were the best, smartest, and most advanced people, now, if the Drifters killed them, that means they are better then the Jove, hence more powerful in every way or the Jove would have found a weakness and won, now, using this, is it not plausible that they would have the tech to detect such things? I mean, even in RL we have equipment that can see a heartbeat from 1km away, and that is with a device the size of a iPhone, and we can see someone fart at night from 10-15km away with special THERM vision (I used one once at a Cadet activity with some Armored guys, was awesome!) and we are thousands upon thousands of years behind New Eden if such a thing can even be said.

Also, something people may have missed, there is an Amarrian at the EVE Gate who spoke to and was connected to a Sleeper/Jove Construct/Drone with Jove knowledge, he knew about the Other, who is to say that that information was not saved and sent to the Jove Observatories? I dont know why they would hunt the Other though.. Maybe it is the conscious of someone important or  they are afraid it will lead to the people of New Eden finding their weakness, or hell, what if half the Other went into Jayml, and the other half of Jayml went into the Others actual form? Lots of things could be the reason, and as so many say, tin foil hat time.

I can't wait to see, as I loved the books, and got upset once I found out there were no more novels, hopefully if the plot evolves a bit there will be! :D
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2015, 20:56 by Integra Valentine »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 30 Apr 2015, 21:45 »

To be fair, I'm not sure how anyone would be able to conclude that the Drifters were looking for Jamyl specifically with the knowledge at hand. As far as I see it, nobody could know about the Other besides Jamyl herself, and she certainly hasn't told anyone, right?
Leaving aside the question of who knows or doesn't in the storyline....

In my case, no, I don't think I'd have worked out the Other. However, there are factors that could lead to the conclusion that they're after Jamyl. Most importantly, there's the mysterious superweapon she turned up in possession of, the like of which hasn't been seen before or since and which has never been explained as far as our characters know beyond it being the "fire of God" or somesuch, which pretty much nobody outside the Empire (and probably not as many inside as it usually looks like) ever bought for a second.

As it stands, I can't even speculate on it because (1) yes, it takes an inferential leap of logic (which, however, I love making) and (2) it's clear from metaknowledge that even if it's wrong, it's too good a guess to be fairly made.

Grrr.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 30 Apr 2015, 22:42 »

The problem with writing a story sometimes where vast secrets and world changing conspiracies happen, you run the risk of the audience eventually getting fatigued.   

I feel sometimes like this is more appropriate for a 'shutting off the servers lay it all on the table' sort of plot reveal than a new expansion plot, if that makes sense?

Unless this leads to some holy crusade through the wormholes to fight the drifters ultimate battle 9000 or something *shrug*

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #18 on: 30 Apr 2015, 23:02 »

Why would they want to kill the other ? Please not that i'm not aware of much regarding the other...

The Other is a Sleeper virtual supervillain, that recently escaped from a maximum security asylum for the criminally insane.

And the drifters are hibernating jove who are VR controlling big ships in real space? Something like that?

Once they give up the ghost (haha) for all of the Jove (Vorlon) monitoring/society shaping, the cat's out of the bag so to speak yea?

I don't know. I made that up. I think ? Or maybe I didn't. I'm not sure anymore. /o\
\o/

Vikarion

« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2015, 23:20 »

As I mentioned in OOC, I'm not sure what the point of "de-TonyG-ing" the lore is if the current writer(s) are of the opinion that TonyG's biggest fault was being far too nice to Amarr and Caldari RP.

RPers who belong to those two factions have gone from sitting on a cactus to having it shoved up their ass, in other words. Yay.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #20 on: 30 Apr 2015, 23:31 »

In other news, we really don't know what's going to happen in Amarr space.

It probably involves Jamyl, sure-- but are the Drifters aligned with the Others? Opposed to them? The Others themselves? Is Jamyl going to go mad, or begin a proper war with the Drifters, or...? So-- not knowing exactly what will follow, we just have to follow the thread. Affinity and Falcon are clever folk, so I've no doubt it'll be fun, at the very least.

Also, Vikarion, I dare say we very greatly disagree on the state of the Amarr and Caldari factions. The issue isn't who was nice or not-nice, but rather that currently these factions are homogeneous in a way they shouldn't be. More chaos will allow people to more distinctly position their characters within a faction.

Vikarion

« Reply #21 on: 30 Apr 2015, 23:48 »

Also, Vikarion, I dare say we very greatly disagree on the state of the Amarr and Caldari factions. The issue isn't who was nice or not-nice, but rather that currently these factions are homogeneous in a way they shouldn't be. More chaos will allow people to more distinctly position their characters within a faction.

Are you kidding me?

Meh. You probably aren't.

Well, here's the thing - I read the lore. Actually, I try to read ALL the lore, from news articles to the books CCP produces. Here's the problem: there are more descriptions and depictions of infighting between Caldari Megas/forces than there are of "internal combat" of all the other factions...combined. Yes, really. And yet, the Caldari are too "homogeneous".

Well, ok, but why pick on the least "homogeneous" faction, if that's your problem? Why not spin up a story in the Federation? Oh, right...they are the designated "good guys", and no one can seriously disagree with democracy and human rights and peace and goodness and beautiful white unicorns! Squeeeee!

Even funnier: you know what? Guess what is the faction with the second-most internal conflict? Oh, right! The Amarr. The most-stable empire: home to almost as much political turmoil as a real-world third world country. Actually, maybe more.

If you want to introduce diversity within a faction, start with replacing the Mary-Sue paint that CCP has dumped on their two "good-guy" factions, and introduce some disagreement and division there.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2015, 23:56 by Vikarion »

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #22 on: 30 Apr 2015, 23:56 »

Or instead of being DD'ed...

They'll simply have the Drifters release the info (or players will find the info) from the observatories that confirms that Jamyl is a clone and has the Other and so on. Triggering the long-expected civil war.

... Yonis for Emperor.

You have thought about this haven't you >.>

Lyn Farel

« Reply #23 on: 01 May 2015, 03:25 »

Are you kidding me?

Meh. You probably aren't.

Well, here's the thing - I read the lore. Actually, I try to read ALL the lore, from news articles to the books CCP produces. Here's the problem: there are more descriptions and depictions of infighting between Caldari Megas/forces than there are of "internal combat" of all the other factions...combined. Yes, really. And yet, the Caldari are too "homogeneous".

Well, ok, but why pick on the least "homogeneous" faction, if that's your problem? Why not spin up a story in the Federation? Oh, right...they are the designated "good guys", and no one can seriously disagree with democracy and human rights and peace and goodness and beautiful white unicorns! Squeeeee!

Even funnier: you know what? Guess what is the faction with the second-most internal conflict? Oh, right! The Amarr. The most-stable empire: home to almost as much political turmoil as a real-world third world country. Actually, maybe more.

If you want to introduce diversity within a faction, start with replacing the Mary-Sue paint that CCP has dumped on their two "good-guy" factions, and introduce some disagreement and division there.

I suppose i'm not living in the same lore...

Jocca Quinn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #24 on: 01 May 2015, 06:13 »

I seem to have missed something here, but what are the Drifters doing differently in Amarr space then elsewhere ?

I have never thought of the Drifters as looking for the other. In fact I pretty much had them down as actually being the other (if you are an artificial intelligence then copying yourself into multiple hosts is probably not hard).

My train of thought was that after Carolines Star went boom the last of the Jove went with it so the other became much more open with its operations, its raiding the observatories for X to do bad thing Y.

OR

The Drifters are the enduannniiii who also can now operate more openly since the Jove that opposed them have gone.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 01 May 2015, 06:58 »

I seem to have missed something here, but what are the Drifters doing differently in Amarr space then elsewhere ?

They're appearing in larger numbers and moving aggressively into territory that they previously avoided, including Amarr itself.

Vikarion: call me a jaded cynic, but I'm not really interested in the "whose faction is better than who else's" debate. There's another thread here dedicated exclusively to how much the Minmatar have been "the faction of fail" lately, which would mean that three of the four are now horrible by our contemporary standards for one reason or another.

RPG politics always somehow seems to involve allegations of favoritism by whoever's running the thing. Sometimes it's valid, sometimes it's not, but it's always tedious and invariably distracts from the game itself.

The Gallente are set up to be the only faction that really reflects contemporary Western social and political values. So, yeah, at minimum they're going to look like jerks to us less often. But they're not very interesting to me for almost exactly that reason.

That said, I am looking forward to writing about them through Aria's eyes. That should be a hoot.

Since ain't nobody going to actually succeed in "saving" New Eden, white hats or no, CCP's opinion is of minimal concern. Tony G was an issue because he went in for melodrama, and THAT I really cannot be having with.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2015, 07:08 by Aria Jenneth »

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #26 on: 01 May 2015, 07:34 »

On the upside, if the Drifters do explode the Empress Muck Raker might do a piece about Drifters: Defenders of Righteous Behaviour, given all the rumors about orgies and drugs and the lack of any other ICly observable motive.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #27 on: 01 May 2015, 10:10 »

So. Lore nerd here. Trust me, I read the lore also. Chronicles, novels, Source, news, trawling the Wiki for stuff that's old.

The Caldari are frequently described as fractious and combative, but we see practically none of it played out in game. When was the last time different factions of Caldari were given a reason to have a go at each other? Today, yes, Lai Dai was implicated in the theft of the Seeadler by the Scope. Before that-- Tibus Heth? Honestly, that stopped being divisive about the time I started back up in March of 2013, save with Diana Kim.

That said, I fullheartedly agree that some more Black Eagle stuff/Roden profiteering/Gallente cultural hegemony stuff would be fun-- but they've played on that more recently with the Midular arc. Again, unfortunately old news.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 01 May 2015, 11:52 »

The problem isn't that one side has been particularly abused more than others.

The problem is that factions in EVE seem to exist in two (perhaps three) states: Wildly succeeding, and in total failcascade. Middle ground is rare and poorly documented, and success seems fleeting when you know that it is going to be accompanied by inevitable failure to maintain the status quo.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 01 May 2015, 12:47 »

I just tend to assume that a total lack of news = "working okay for now."

After all, mere success isn't newsworthy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8