Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Battle of Tears, between Minmatar and Ammatar forces in YC102, was one of the highest casualty battles ever fought in New Eden.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: MUH CONFERENCE (Drifters, Bodies, and Hacks Oh My)  (Read 13940 times)

Tabor Murn

• Wetgraver
Re: MUH CONFERENCE (Drifters, Bodies, and Hacks Oh My)
« Reply #45 on: 25 Apr 2015, 10:38 »

still grates a bit. What happened to the faction contacts ?

I know of some other recent IC interactions with dev actors. I'm not sure how they got started, but can rule out the Dev Actor contacting individuals on the 'declare your loyalty' thread.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #46 on: 25 Apr 2015, 16:41 »

Just a note: a proper deus ex machina shows up to fix things with a wave of its benevolent hand.

An ancient, powerful enemy that shows up to maybe obliterate you with the technologies of a lost civilization is usually called something else.

Oh-god-no-not-my-face ex machina?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #47 on: 26 Apr 2015, 01:32 »

Either they didn't bother to check, or either for them it's just freelance capsuleers claiming this or that loyalty but that's it.

See, this kind of thing bugs me. The first option implies that CONCORD is too dumb to check corporation history (let alone posting history), and I've made my opinion known before on enforced stupidity of authority figures to make things work.

The second option doesn't fly either, because at least one of the characters there was actually directly harming CONCORD's goals by deliberately preventing the protection of planetary populations during the Sansha live events. Not handwavium, not empty posting, actual ingame effects.

I'm all for wanting to recognize player activity - but once you pick a side like that, unless something major changes in the universe your actions shouldn't just be ignored. I wouldn't expect the Republic to honor Esna after he flew with the 24IC just a few years back without some major changes.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #48 on: 26 Apr 2015, 02:14 »

Well, here we are. Lyn flew like 2-3 years in the Crusade, and she is perfectly welcome in the Republic because everyone likes her :D

More seriously, I agree yes. CONCORD never made sense mechanics wise...

And since TEA most authority figures are le stupid.

Kybernetes

• Clonejack
« Reply #49 on: 26 Apr 2015, 05:46 »

I was as surprised as anyone to see Kyber, past and current supporter of Sansha's Nation, standing in the DED Assembly Plant--with his spiky clothes on, no less.

I don't see it as irreconcilable with his RP or the setup of the DED, though. If you're looking for the cluster's bleeding-edge in cybernetics and medicine and putting any ethical qualms aside (for whatever reason), it'd probably be hard to go wrong with one of them being involved with the Nation and another with the Blood Raiders.

If the DED see that this team's outstripped their own research on the Drifters, and the Drifters are manifestly a threat to CONCORD and Sansha's Nation alike, I can sort of see where a brief and awkward détente might come from.

Mizhir

• Egger
  • Vherocool
« Reply #50 on: 26 Apr 2015, 06:38 »

I was as surprised as anyone to see Kyber, past and current supporter of Sansha's Nation, standing in the DED Assembly Plant--with his spiky clothes on, no less.

I don't see it as irreconcilable with his RP or the setup of the DED, though. If you're looking for the cluster's bleeding-edge in cybernetics and medicine and putting any ethical qualms aside (for whatever reason), it'd probably be hard to go wrong with one of them being involved with the Nation and another with the Blood Raiders.

If the DED see that this team's outstripped their own research on the Drifters, and the Drifters are manifestly a threat to CONCORD and Sansha's Nation alike, I can sort of see where a brief and awkward détente might come from.

The funny thing is that Miz is bending the rules as she see fits and has a past full of crimes. The only reason why she isn't -10.0 is bribery and other forms of forgery. I even had the police chase me around when I was in Yulai for the event and had to rely on Morwen to get my ass out (thanks♥) So it is quite a dreamteam DED has assembled to do the research. Edit: It was Anslo who organized it and DED was just told to listen.

So the way I interpret it is that the team has been chosen based on their knowledge and experiance which would outweigth their past and affiliation. Which put furthere emphasis on the dire status of the situation.

And to everyone else: don't expect any hard facts and data. CCP has provided us with only a sliver of information so we have to make everything up while still leaving it vague enough for CCP to interpret it. We can't dictate everything. We can just come up with suggestions that somewhat fits the direction.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2015, 08:18 by Mizhir »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #51 on: 26 Apr 2015, 10:06 »

The pool of RPers willing to do this sort of project thing is already extremely, extremely small. We're talking about maybe a dozen people out of many thousands of subscribers.

The pool of those dozen or so RPers who have the appropriate in game standings and history to actually do work for the DED is smaller still.

Basically as is always the rule, CCP will weigh it slightly and throw consistency out the window for plot advancement. 

They think having this game news and video trumps the pro-sansha and blood raider people being on the podium and not being immediately shot by the police, etc.

I completely get why they would not care about this in order to promote game content, but I also get why this breaks many 4th walls for people following the IP.

It's like if in the next Star Trek movie Princess Leah shows up on the bridge of the Enterprise giving Captain Kirk a hot cup of Earl Gray tea and calls him #1, and a million nerd's heads explode, and Paramount says stop being a nerd this is just what's happening now.

:P

Anskek

« Reply #52 on: 26 Apr 2015, 10:55 »

Save a NPC freighter, everyone congratulates you. Move the story along and everyone bitches.
Funny how this shit works, isn't it?
Mods, you can close this thread. Don't know why I fucking bother.

PS, you don't like that we got canonized?

Then do better scrubs.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2015, 10:59 by Anskek »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #53 on: 26 Apr 2015, 11:08 »

Save a NPC freighter, everyone congratulates you. Move the story along and everyone bitches.
Funny how this shit works, isn't it?
Mods, you can close this thread. Don't know why I fucking bother.

I only wanted to know the best way to communicate with CCP, cos the faction contacts seem a bit unresponsive, and I don't know teh email addresses for ISD either. And people are not very helpful.

\o/ for stuff
\o/

Kybernetes

• Clonejack
« Reply #54 on: 26 Apr 2015, 11:14 »

I completely get why they would not care about this in order to promote game content, but I also get why this breaks many 4th walls for people following the IP.

It's like if in the next Star Trek movie Princess Leah shows up on the bridge of the Enterprise giving Captain Kirk a hot cup of Earl Gray tea and calls him #1, and a million nerd's heads explode, and Paramount says stop being a nerd this is just what's happening now.

Eh, I offered an explanation for it that I don't feel stretches anything too far. With a bunch of technologically superior mysteries descending from on high and occasionally blowing people out of the sky, it's hard to imagine every alliance remaining totally static forever.

It mightn't fit your vision of what the IP 'should' be, which is fine, but I don't see how it doesn't work. CCP's doing a great job making the lore more accessible and more integrated with what players do with these videos; saying that it's bastardising the storyline on account of it not being what you personally would have done seems a bit unfair to both CCP and RPers who get involved.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #55 on: 26 Apr 2015, 11:20 »

Operation Paperclip is a historical example that may be relevant.
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #56 on: 26 Apr 2015, 11:23 »

Eh, I offered an explanation for it that I don't feel stretches anything too far. With a bunch of technologically superior mysteries descending from on high and occasionally blowing people out of the sky, it's hard to imagine every alliance remaining totally static forever.

It mightn't fit your vision of what the IP 'should' be, which is fine, but I don't see how it doesn't work. CCP's doing a great job making the lore more accessible and more integrated with what players do with these videos; saying that it's bastardising the storyline on account of it not being what you personally would have done seems a bit unfair to both CCP and RPers who get involved.

I don't have a dog in this fight in the slightest, just presenting both sides of the argument. A reminder my first words in the thread were NICE JOB.

I can simultaneously be happy for you people doing a fun personal project and getting recognized for it in game, and at the same time shake my head at lore implications.   All good yall.

« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2015, 11:24 by Silas Vitalia »

Kybernetes

• Clonejack
« Reply #57 on: 26 Apr 2015, 11:31 »

I don't have a dog in this fight in the slightest, just presenting both sides of the argument. A reminder my first words in the thread were NICE JOB.

I can simultaneously be happy for you people doing a fun personal project and getting recognized for it in game, and at the same time shake my head at lore implications.   All good yall.

I'm not having a go--I just mightn't be seeing the same dire implications for the lore and IP that you do. No problem.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #58 on: 26 Apr 2015, 11:38 »

I'm not having a go--I just mightn't be seeing the same dire implications for the lore and IP that you do. No problem.

Not dire at all! Just an interesting thing to think about.

It's like, the Pope won't invite Osama Bin Ladin to give a speech on the steps of the Vatican, so for me the DED having capsuleers who support the 'bad guys' doing a press conference gives me a big head shake.  But again I am excited for you all to do a thing and be recognized for it.

It could be as simple as adding a tiny footer to the DED newscast

'the Drifter Threat has forced us to relax some of our normal law enforcement standards and forced cooperation with known terrorists under these extreme conditions'

Or a follow-up news article about.. some of the Yulai assembly members voicing concerns of the victims of blood raider and sansha attacks outraged at DED cooperation with capsuleer Sansha and Raider supporters'

That's the kind of thing that adds depth for me, more nuance and grey areas like we know and love in new eden.

« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2015, 11:41 by Silas Vitalia »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #59 on: 26 Apr 2015, 11:40 »

There's also the smartass game mechanics answer everyone hates: people who call themselves faction loyalists aren't actually really loyalists. If they really were loyalists, they'd be NPCs or event actors.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6