Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Many medical services are provided by AIs rather than human doctors?  More on AIMEDs here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FAQ - Polite posting - our culture  (Read 7272 times)

Lyn Farel

FAQ - Polite posting - our culture
« on: 24 Dec 2014, 10:29 »

As per that thread that made me wonder several things : since that FAQ is not hard written in the rules, and not part of the rules, and that obviously some people are unable to follow it or just do not bother, what is the mod stance on this ? Is that FAQ truly useful that way ? What is the point of it if nobody cares ?

Here in our example it's post after post hammering other points of views, or tastes of other people as "pile of crap", "mediocre", etc, again and again. Not even a single "I think that..." or whatever eases it a little. It is often the best way to have the other party answer in similar fashion pretty quick and the tone goes from quiet to flamebaity or outright hostile. Leading eventually to modding of otherwise good threads spiraling into oblivion.

Eventually, either I am not understanding the FAQ and polite posting very clearly, or either it is not very useful since people will tell you "I don't care LOL" ?

Or just outright tell me if i'm living in another imaginary universe and I should HTFU....  :|

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: FAQ - Polite posting - our culture
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2014, 10:38 »

"hammering other points of views" by disagreeing with them. Yeah, I don't think that's something you can enforce anywhere but facebook pages and with block buttons.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2014, 10:58 »

I disagree because reasons.

Your post is bad, and you should feel bad.

one way of forming a post is suggested in the FaQ, the other is not.
\o/

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2014, 11:02 »

Reasons were provided.

Anskek

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2014, 11:14 »

Your reasons were that they were crap this and DIW that. Also lol I make a statement about rp being stagnate due to inflexibility with the IGS and it gets katacombed. New timed record achieved.

But seriously, Lyn's right. 

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2014, 11:15 »

I don't feel that the IGS is the correct place for that kind of RP content.

The IGS isn't the place for that crap, shove it somewhere else.

It's about how the reasons are phrased.
\o/

Anskek

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2014, 11:18 »

Lou said it better than me actually. Phrasing and tactfulness (tact, which is lolz coming from me).

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2014, 11:26 »

As per that thread that made me wonder several things : since that FAQ is not hard written in the rules, and not part of the rules, and that obviously some people are unable to follow it or just do not bother, what is the mod stance on this ? Is that FAQ truly useful that way ? What is the point of it if nobody cares ?

Here in our example it's post after post hammering other points of views, or tastes of other people as "pile of crap", "mediocre", etc, again and again. Not even a single "I think that..." or whatever eases it a little. It is often the best way to have the other party answer in similar fashion pretty quick and the tone goes from quiet to flamebaity or outright hostile. Leading eventually to modding of otherwise good threads spiraling into oblivion.

Eventually, either I am not understanding the FAQ and polite posting very clearly, or either it is not very useful since people will tell you "I don't care LOL" ?

Or just outright tell me if i'm living in another imaginary universe and I should HTFU....  :|
We've been telling you to HTFU for years, Lyn.

That said, The FAQ, like the rules, are Subjective.  They describe an overall mood and atmosphere that we want to promote here on Backstage.  Over the years, there've been very few tweaks to the Rules sticky because it has mostly served well.  Even that "It's been 4 years..." thread a few months back, while resulting in a good bit of healthy discussion, did not yield much in the way of change because on the whole it seemed to demonstrate that no dramatic changes were actually required.

In relation to the thread you're highlighting in the OP, reports were made, which generated Report threads, which have multiple replies in them.  This means that posts are being discussed.  I remind you that it only takes one team member to decide a thing is worth moderating.  I personally did not see Mizhara's posts as excessively rude.  If, throughout the course of the day, the other moderators log in, see the posts, and choose to bin them, then that will be a thing.

In the meantime... no backseat moderation.  See a problem?  Report it.  Have questions regarding the approach to moderation?  Create a thread in this forum.  Which, evidently, you already know how to do both of those things.  So everythings seems to be fairly well sorted, wouldn't you say?

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2014, 11:39 »

New timed record achieved.
Quick forum check first thing upon getting out of the shower and before last minute Christmas shopping.  Timing was p. good.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2014, 11:42 »

Your reasons were that they were crap this and DIW that. Also lol I make a statement about rp being stagnate due to inflexibility with the IGS and it gets katacombed. New timed record achieved.

The opinion that it was crap was corroborated with reasons.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2014, 12:42 »

\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2014, 12:56 »

We've been telling you to HTFU for years, Lyn.

Are you kidding me ? You spent your first months coming back on backstage screaming all around exactly the contrary to what you just said : "If there is one thing I WILL NOT TOLERATE ON THIS FORUM IS PEOPLE TELLING HTFU".  :|

Well at least, the first thing I thought was "I love this guy !"  :P

That said, The FAQ, like the rules, are Subjective.  They describe an overall mood and atmosphere that we want to promote here on Backstage.  Over the years, there've been very few tweaks to the Rules sticky because it has mostly served well.  Even that "It's been 4 years..." thread a few months back, while resulting in a good bit of healthy discussion, did not yield much in the way of change because on the whole it seemed to demonstrate that no dramatic changes were actually required.

In relation to the thread you're highlighting in the OP, reports were made, which generated Report threads, which have multiple replies in them.  This means that posts are being discussed.  I remind you that it only takes one team member to decide a thing is worth moderating.  I personally did not see Mizhara's posts as excessively rude.  If, throughout the course of the day, the other moderators log in, see the posts, and choose to bin them, then that will be a thing.

In the meantime... no backseat moderation.  See a problem?  Report it.  Have questions regarding the approach to moderation?  Create a thread in this forum.  Which, evidently, you already know how to do both of those things.  So everythings seems to be fairly well sorted, wouldn't you say?

Well, thanks you for not reading at all the OP, but first : I always try to report what breaks the rules. Second, Miz did not break any rule, but broke half of the "FAQ - Polite posting" bullets point. So I assume that we can now report people for breaking those too, right ?

The opinion that it was crap was corroborated with reasons.

It has never been about reasons. I do not really understand why you suddenly bring that here... ?

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2014, 13:00 »

Lyn.
Everyone can always report anyone else for anything they feel like, this is nothing new.

Modteam reserves the right to not act on it if it doesn't break the rules, this is not news either.
That said if someone should abuse the report function it can, and most likely will, be seen as trolling and will be dealt with accordingly.
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2014, 13:15 »

I'm too lazy to do the copy/pasting/cropping/etc. - Havo.
So, now that Jek's pushed the buttons and Katacomb'd the things:

I was already aware that Jekatarine was going to be getting to that thread shortly when I made my first reply in this thread.  So I just want to point out again what I said about "It only takes one team member to decide a post/thread is mod-worthy and take care of it."  This is why we emphasize and insist that the best thing to do is just to report something that seems bad and let us deal with it.  Yes, that includes the FAQ guidelines.  If it seems like it doesn't belong on Backstage, push the Report button.

Twitter

Lyn Farel

« Reply #14 on: 24 Dec 2014, 18:51 »

Lyn.
Everyone can always report anyone else for anything they feel like, this is nothing new.

Modteam reserves the right to not act on it if it doesn't break the rules, this is not news either.
That said if someone should abuse the report function it can, and most likely will, be seen as trolling and will be dealt with accordingly.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I would not have held my breath but since you actually acted here, then thanks for making this a better place to breath in.

I'm too lazy to do the copy/pasting/cropping/etc. - Havo.
So, now that Jek's pushed the buttons and Katacomb'd the things:

I was already aware that Jekatarine was going to be getting to that thread shortly when I made my first reply in this thread.  So I just want to point out again what I said about "It only takes one team member to decide a post/thread is mod-worthy and take care of it."  This is why we emphasize and insist that the best thing to do is just to report something that seems bad and let us deal with it.  Yes, that includes the FAQ guidelines.  If it seems like it doesn't belong on Backstage, push the Report button.

So I suppose that's why you spend your time arbitrarily modding the shit out of everything that displeases you ? :/
Pages: [1] 2 3