Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That CCP financed the initial development of EVE Online by publishing a board game called Hættuspil ("Danger Game")?

Author Topic: re; Trash Talk Thread  (Read 2973 times)

Anskek

re; Trash Talk Thread
« on: 24 Dec 2014, 13:54 »

Alright, so before I continue with what is an non-fuckery post, I'll say this. Sure, I realized some mods would see this and, as the comment said, go 'no.' But, I wanna address that in this post.

Why no? The OP straight up said, don't bring up anything you're legit butt battered about. Don't bring up drama. Like the reddit version of this thread, it's just a place to chest beat and have fun. Now if it STARTED getting dramatic like hurr rr domi's or durr irl stalker bull shit, then yeah ok I can see why it'd be locked.

My point is this. Why do things need to be so uptight? Why can't some derpy fun happen, or be allowed to continue and see if it goes well or not? I'm not saying grr mods or FIGHT THE TYRANTS or some shit.

All I'm saying is that if you guys lightened up a bit, you might attract more people, and have more fun (and prevent gray hairs/wrinkles/etc).

Anyanka Funk

Re: re; Trash Talk Thread
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2014, 13:56 »

Havo, use resurrect.

EDIT: AND REALLY DEITRA!? NO BUTT SPRAY!?  :psyccp:
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2014, 14:01 by Anyanka Funk »

Deitra Vess

• Immature Quasi Terrorist Interceptor Pilot
  • Egger
« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2014, 14:03 »

IDont really see the harm in the thread, I can see how it easily could get out of hand, but still....

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2014, 14:11 »

Your premise that because you say to people to behave that you asked them to in the OP.
This si debunked by the Katacombs. They're filled with posts and threads even though we politely ask people to follow the rules and the posting culture.

A special "free speech zone/thread" is also a dead duck.
I know this from the Chatsubo where there was such an area. It was bad, very, very bad.
So I nuked the thread.
As all things it looks good in theory but will fail in practice. This is due to people not being able to behave within the stated guidelines..

If you want a specific breach of rules then I'd place it under flamebait.
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Anskek

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2014, 14:16 »

Your premise that because you say to people to behave that you asked them to in the OP.
This si debunked by the Katacombs. They're filled with posts and threads even though we politely ask people to follow the rules and the posting culture.
Yet my posts has no one breaking the rules. It's all in light hearted fun. You just assume it'll go to shit and boxed the thing versus letting adults know what the borders are and just letting it play out.

A special "free speech zone/thread" is also a dead duck.
I know this from the Chatsubo where there was such an area. It was bad, very, very bad.
Like I said, if people make it personal, then ok I get modding that shit. You didn't even give it a chance. Also, this ain't Chatsubo, this aint a few years ago, and this sure as shit isn't the same RP community.

So I nuked the thread.
As all things it looks good in theory but will fail in practice. This is due to people not being able to behave within the stated guidelines..
YOU DID NOT EVEN GIVE IT A CHANCE TO SEE IF THIS HOLDS TRUE.

If you want a specific breach of rules then I'd place it under flamebait.
Yeah, that's reaching imo. It's for fun. That's it. I think people here are competent enough to see that. But hey, whatever. If NO FUN ALLOWED, I guess that speaks volumes about this joint. vOv

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2014, 16:24 »

Yet my posts has no one breaking the rules. It's all in light hearted fun. You just assume it'll go to shit and boxed the thing versus letting adults know what the borders are and just letting it play out.

So you say.
You still haven't answered my claim that this forum is letting adults know what the borders are and quite a few still manage to get Katacombed.
Your claim is that a topic called "trash talk" wherein you say "play nice" will have people acting their best and nothing will go wrong?

Like I said, if people make it personal, then ok I get modding that shit. You didn't even give it a chance. Also, this ain't Chatsubo, this aint a few years ago, and this sure as shit isn't the same RP community.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck I'm pretty sure it's a duck.
I didn't give it a chance much like I don't give anything that'll lead to shitposting and more work for everyone.

Again: If the community has so improved and become so stellar how come I keep having to mod things?
Mind you the very same patterns of things that they have always been modded for.

No this isn't the Chatsubo, this here place has a much harsher ruleset.
Chatsubo invited people to self moderate. People failed. Here we ask people to be polite, people still fail.
So give me a few examples of how it has improved and there still isn't various persons at each others throats over lore and RP.

YOU DID NOT EVEN GIVE IT A CHANCE TO SEE IF THIS HOLDS TRUE.

No, simply because a thread for trashtalking is by its purpose asking to get a negative reaction from the one being trash talked.
It invites people to try and win by being creative in insulting to skate the rules in order to maximise the effect of the trash talking on the one on the receiving end.
No amount of "Plz play nice" will change that.
I invite you to find me evidence to the contrary.
While you look for that I invite you to look closer on ye olde Eve history of Goons Vs. Lady Scarlett.

Yeah, that's reaching imo. It's for fun. That's it. I think people here are competent enough to see that. But hey, whatever. If NO FUN ALLOWED, I guess that speaks volumes about this joint. vOv

I see plenty of lighthearted content not being modded and in existence. To equate your thread being modded to "You're total squares maaaaan" is reaching I'd say.

A  thread wherein your supposed to insult people under the "Iz for funsies promise guise" banner doesn't cut it.
It might be fun doing the trashtalking but if you happen to be unpopular member X of the community things can be seen in a very different light.
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2014, 17:00 »

Something I'm not sure if Jek mentioned (I'm a bit busy visiting family in the hospital and only have an iPod to post on), but the thread was actually reported before any action was taken by Jek.

I'm inclined to agree with the assessment that "trash talk" is essentially flamebait by nature, and is therefore fair game to be moderated as such.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Deitra Vess

• Immature Quasi Terrorist Interceptor Pilot
  • Egger
« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2014, 17:49 »

If people know it would be used maliciously against them and don't wish to deal with the outcome wouldn't the responsible thing to do to be avoid it?  I can understand the added shit you guys would have to deal with involving it so I understand why it was locked but it didn't really reach that point. Don't get me wrong, I'm newer to this stuff and am not really trying to question it since I don't have any experience with much of this, I just don't see why it was automatically marked for death when it started.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2014, 17:53 »

Havo, use resurrect.

EDIT: AND REALLY DEITRA!? NO BUTT SPRAY!?  :psyccp:
That spell has a 6 month cooldown and requires rare components only found in a raid instance that has a 6 year cooldown.  rip

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Vikarion

« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2014, 17:55 »

A "bitching section" has proven to be the best way to incite Eve players to near-homicide. It sounds like a good idea, until the blood starts leaking out from under the door and into all the other threads.

Anskek

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2014, 18:45 »

Know what? If you got that little faith in your members and people can't differentiate friendly trolling from abuse then fuck it.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2014, 18:47 »

Tbh Anslo, I think most people lost faith in members long ago, because facts are here to prove it...  :|

Human nature and all.

Vikarion

« Reply #12 on: 25 Dec 2014, 03:50 »

Know what? If you got that little faith in your members and people can't differentiate friendly trolling from abuse then fuck it.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but your idea has been tried. On Chatsubo. It (the Bitching Room) sucked - people went from "friendly trolling" to pure fury pretty quick.

And besides, we don't need more "friendly trolling". It's an overproduced commodity - there's so much of it that the market has dried up.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2014, 04:33 by Vikarion »

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 26 Dec 2014, 07:48 »

Are you new here  ;) Have you seen how personally shit gets taken?

That's why they built this place with such strict rules in the first place. Because we can't handle it otherwise.