Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lai Dai Infinity Systems is a capsuleer partner of the Lai Dai Corporation? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your opinion on the current state of Sani Sabik RP  (Read 5388 times)

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

In a time before CTCS, for better or for worse, the Sani Sabik RP community was largely dominated by the views of one particular player, and other views were squeezed out, or at least appeared to be. Those who know who that was, know who it was. Those that don't, don't really need to know. That player seems to have left, so let's not say anything harsh about them.

With the creation of CTCS, which from the beginning had a policy of not claiming exclusivity over interpretation of the Scriptures and the whole Sani Sabik religion, a number of different Sani Sabik groups have come, and gone, during that time.

The Sani Sabik community, such as it is, is now a plurality of views, with some groups and individuals having wildly different ideas. But is that a good thing ?

Within CTCS, there are three aspects of Sani Sabik rp that are particularly present:
1. Missionary work - converting the heathens and heretics.
2. Archaeotheology - searching for the ancient secrets of the Takmahl scriptures and devices.
3. Experimental theology - searching for theological revelations through examination of the universe.

But is any of this beneficial to Sani Sabik RP, and to the wider RP community ? Was it better when there was more of a single viewpoint ?

The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Anyanka Funk

Re: Your opinion on the current state of Sani Sabik RP
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2014, 14:30 »

The poll is a bit off putting.

But anyway, My opinion as a Sani Sabik roleplayer is that there are not many Sani Sabik roleplayers and half of what there is are "in the closet" hiding their religion. Which in my opinion is contradictory to the religion itself, being about self-empowerment and strength. I don't think all Sani Sabik roleplayers should be Blood Raiders either. But if we compare to other roleplaying groups in EVE, how many Caldari roleplayers hide their ancestry? Same with any other group. Most groups are proud of who they are yet in "Sani Sabik" half of the people there are in hiding.

I think CTCS is great for the Sani Sabik community. They do not hide who they are for one. They provide useful information for other roleplayers. And they actively seek out interaction.

The Sani Sabik plurality of views is in issue even alluded to in the prime fiction with Omir Sarikusa killing off rival sects, the Darkonnen being what they are, Gallentean pop star iterations of Sani Sabik, as well as those "in the closet" Amarrians. Without making this about real life religions, this happens with religions.

Morwen can spout recite better than anyone I know "the three tenants" for those who do not know. But they have been established. Now would it be beneficial for Sani Sabik to work together like Amarrians, yes. Anyanka will  help any Sani Sabik anywhere if requested.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2014, 14:43 by Anyanka Funk »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2014, 14:32 »

Why am I being brought into this?
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2014, 14:38 »

Why am I being brought into this?

Because you know more about that lore than I do or anyone else I have talked to IC or OOC about it. This is not a snipe at you either.

Edit: I only used the word spout because I envision that when you speak, that you spout or spew your words. I was sincerely trying to be complimentary.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2014, 14:48 by Anyanka Funk »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2014, 14:40 »

The word "spout" implies otherwise.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2014, 18:04 »

Sani rp? Non-existent, as far as I can see.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2014, 19:28 »

I chose vampirism and sparkles.

Trying too hard to get attention from others was unavailable as a third option.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2014, 19:57 »

The word "spout" implies otherwise.

Perhaps you are an important faucet of this community.... or was it facet? I don't know anymore, this whole thing is so draining and causing my post quality to sink even lower.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2014, 21:12 »

The quantity of your punning overflows, however.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2014, 21:26 »

To be brutally honest;

there aren't enough options, and half the ones that are there seem bitter.

I'm not entirely sure what my feelings on Blood Raiders are, but I think the sooner we get rid of the stupid "sparkly space lesbian vampires" and the airheaded "Blood Raider Barbie" stereotypes, the better.

Neither of them inspire my interest in the RP'ers of the faction.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2014, 22:02 »

I voted Theology. It's the only one that's actually important.

Having more than one viewpoint is perfectly fine. It's implied at the very least that there are different views within the Sabik Faith. She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named wasn't as bad as everyone thought she was. I've RP'd with her on a few occasions and talked to her about the Sabik as well, and in all that I never had a problem with her. (Provided I have the right person in mind, and Im pretty sure I do)

The poll is a bit off putting.

But anyway, My opinion as a Sani Sabik roleplayer is that there are not many Sani Sabik roleplayers and half of what there is are "in the closet" hiding their religion. Which in my opinion is contradictory to the religion itself, being about self-empowerment and strength. I don't think all Sani Sabik roleplayers should be Blood Raiders either. But if we compare to other roleplaying groups in EVE, how many Caldari roleplayers hide their ancestry? Same with any other group. Most groups are proud of who they are yet in "Sani Sabik" half of the people there are in hiding.

There is something to be said for not showing ones hand. A lot of Sabik, and especially those still in Amarr space, would probably prefer to remain "in the closet" as you put it simply because of the negative connotations the sect has gotten from SWMNBN'd and others over the years. There are other reasons too like the whole espionage/spy angle or simply waiting for the right moment when it'll hurt someone the most or cause a big uproar. Silas...I'm looking at you, and that was awesome btw and I hate that I missed it.

Everyone has an idea of what Sabik RP should be or could be but honestly it doesn't really matter. Just like most modern religions theres a lot of interpretations to be had. If Silas/SWMNBN's take on Sabik was all hellfire and brimstone like a Southern Baptist church then CTCS may be a bit more mellow and Presbyterian.

I'm not entirely sure what my feelings on Blood Raiders are, but I think the sooner we get rid of the stupid "sparkly space lesbian vampires" and the airheaded "Blood Raider Barbie" stereotypes, the better.

Attention whores be attention whores. In some way or another everyone does it.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2014, 00:01 »

It's a big cluster, it's a wide umbrella, do what you like.  *shrug*

There's as many sects as you can imagine doing as many different varieties of the religion as you can imagine.

People having an issue with Revan's take on it seems silly to me for those reasons.   That she was IC popular and occasionally sucked all the oxygen out of the room is exactly the point of the character, and frankly it worked, like it or lump it.  Dislike her or not she put a ridiculous amount of work into lore building, public events, and content generation for the community.  Occasional IGS shittery aside she contributed a lot to the game. 

If you think she was doing it wrong then you've got to work that much harder to make your case IC.

Karynn

« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2014, 07:10 »

My character's worked with the Sabik, including CTCS, on a few occasions, providing "stock" for whatever they do with them. I enjoy the challenge of the dilema it presents to her - Karynn is not evil or sadistic, but her vanity and ego compels her to prove herself as a woman who gets things done.

To that end, she doesn't question what the Sabik do with their stock - she just does business and nothing more. It's a tricky situation, because in order to do my own RP justice, I've got to shut down any potential RP for the blooder by not being interested... :ugh:

Karynn's most recent job for the Sabik was utterly heinous, and has lead to a fundamental shift in her character. I don't want to go into that here, it'll have more impact if discovered IC, but I'll say that the blooder involved played the character brilliantly and left me chilled and horrified at what I'd got my character into, and indeed, how I'd played out her response!

So, that's my opinion. I voted "Theology". The other options are a bit silly, tbh.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2014, 07:13 »

*reports Kat for puns*

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2014, 09:55 »

I think Sabik philosophy being what it is, leads to individuals being more likely to dominate the Sabik RP scene as opposed to groups. (this may not have been the case before I got involved in RP, I've heard Blood Inquisition was a pretty big deal in their time. CTCS is a group but it certainly seems like one or two members produce most of their content.) This trend towards individuals influences the different flavors of Sabik RP. I don't think that's a problem. Sani Sabik is not unified in any sense. Members of the Sabik faith are scattered throughout the cluster. As Anyanka mentioned they don't even agree about who is Sani Sabik and sometimes kill each other off. I don't think there is a wrong way to play Sabik, but the characters are probably going to strongly disagree with each other's philosophies, theology, methods, and legitimacy as Sabik.

For what it's worth I chose Theology and Being a space jerk to everyone.
Pages: [1] 2