Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Khanid Kingdom was founded by the Khanid family royal heir after he refused to commit ritual suicide?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your opinion on the current state of Sani Sabik RP  (Read 5389 times)

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
Re: Your opinion on the current state of Sani Sabik RP
« Reply #15 on: 15 Dec 2014, 12:30 »

Most important part of Sani Sabik RP?
Imho:

1. Usage of blood in the majority of their rituals. Followers view blood as the essence of life and spirituality and believe that it has mystical powers.
2. The belief in 'savants'. (Usually anyone strong enough to enforce the view that they are 'savants'.)
3.The belief that that immortality is attainable through adherence to the Sani Sabik rituals.

In general I'd argue that Sani Sabik follow a 'Might makes Right' philosophy.

I'd deny that theology, that is the systematic and rational study of concepts of God and of the nature of religious truths, is of any major importance to the Sani Sabik at large: Just like most Amarr aren't theologians.

What is in my opinion important - in contrast to theology - to Sani Sabik RP is religion, in the sense of an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence (in this case, I'd argue, the rule of the strong over the weak and the imperative of acquiring strength).

I personally think that Sani Sabikism is in fact a 'theology-averse' religion, in the sense that the leaders wouldn't see any need to justify their teachings on grounds of rationality: They simply have the power to enforce their teachings, or their teachings are kind'a worthless by Sani Sabik standards anyway. The only reason Sani Sabik might have for 'theology' is in acquiring new followers for their cult, but there they seem to usually prefer the guise of foreign theology and the simple temptation that consist in acquiring and then unlimited use of power.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2014, 12:46 »

Mithra gives a great analysis here.

In general though I'd equate the Sabik to the 'sith' and the 'dark side' in Star Wars. 

Basically a useful outline for various levels of RP mustache twirling, but let's not kid ourselves as to any real, in depth philosophical underpinnings of the group that stand up to rigorous examination and debate. 

The Sabik are primarily there to pew your boats, to kidnap ur children, to be the bad guys, and to be a foil for the more upright denizens in New Eden.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #17 on: 15 Dec 2014, 12:51 »

CTCS is a group but it certainly seems like one or two members produce most of their content.

Valerie does the theology and being a huge jerk to people, as well as Takmahl archaeology.
I do some of the scientific research, of questionable ethicality.
Ritual Sacrifice hands out vague statements of doooom to anyone who is listening.
Evelyn does the meeting new people and talking to them about 'stuff'.

And some other people do some other things.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #18 on: 15 Dec 2014, 13:50 »

And how many of those are played by different players?

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #19 on: 15 Dec 2014, 13:55 »

all of them
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #20 on: 15 Dec 2014, 15:39 »

Once again Nico says much of what was on my mind that I failed to express earlier in the thread. Good job!

Synthia: I wasn't trying to call out CTCS, just stating that I notice Valerie and Yourself more than other members.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #21 on: 15 Dec 2014, 16:27 »

It's a big cluster, it's a wide umbrella, do what you like.  *shrug*

There's as many sects as you can imagine doing as many different varieties of the religion as you can imagine.

People having an issue with Revan's take on it seems silly to me for those reasons.   That she was IC popular and occasionally sucked all the oxygen out of the room is exactly the point of the character, and frankly it worked, like it or lump it.  Dislike her or not she put a ridiculous amount of work into lore building, public events, and content generation for the community.  Occasional IGS shittery aside she contributed a lot to the game. 

If you think she was doing it wrong then you've got to work that much harder to make your case IC.

+1 to all of this.

Revan to me, represented the epitome of what it was to be sani sabik. She wasn't a good person, she didn't even try to be, she was unapologetically malicious, twisted, and cruel. She waved her giant money dick around and dominated anything sani sabik related. She was a terrible character, but she was supposed to be terrible. She was really fun to hate. To his credit, Nauplius seems to me like a very solid addition to the Sani Sabik community, he's so absolutely self assured of his absolute moral correctness in all things, its brilliantly facepalm inducing.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 15 Dec 2014, 19:05 »

The difficulty with Sabik is the same as it is with the other factions that are not extensively laid out: people have to create their own content and 'feel'. There is plenty of Raider PF, but little Sabik other than TBL. The constant theme running through the PF, in my opinion, is that of blood rituals and the general 'cult' atmosphere. Other than specifically Raider PF, a significant amount of other Sabik elements have been community created. The primary part I have always found odd is that the community leans more towards a 'weird archaic religion' feel than a 'cult' feel.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2014, 19:07 by Jace »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 18 Dec 2014, 08:56 »

The difficulty with Sabik is the same as it is with the other factions that are not extensively laid out: people have to create their own content and 'feel'. There is plenty of Raider PF, but little Sabik other than TBL. The constant theme running through the PF, in my opinion, is that of blood rituals and the general 'cult' atmosphere. Other than specifically Raider PF, a significant amount of other Sabik elements have been community created. The primary part I have always found odd is that the community leans more towards a 'weird archaic religion' feel than a 'cult' feel.

Elaborate! I mean the archaic religion vs cult feel.  Are those mutually exclusive? Can you give examples?

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #24 on: 18 Dec 2014, 11:14 »

My personal two cents:

I feel like Sabik RPers such as Revan and Silas represented what is, to me, the most notable/important feature of the Sani Sabik - power. Others have already stated what I think, in a much more elegant manner. I believe, ultimately, the culture and rituals behind the Sani Sabik are just a manifestation of power, and the desire to obtain it through any available means. Power, wealth, influence, with maybe a dash of hedonism. These things are what Sani Sabik represent, to me.
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

BaixaoMeiyi

• Clonejack
« Reply #25 on: 01 Jan 2015, 08:25 »

I'm probably going to end up making a point here. I don't know I'm only good at shit posting.

Sani Sabik, to me, is about doing what ever the hell you want. Just as much as it is about forcing the world to endure you for all eternity and about ritual use of blood.

It's a might makes right religion. Rationale and reasoning, don't particularly matter as much as 'I can kill you. Convert or I will' sort of deal in which huge swathes of people have absolutely no worth. . . Except as blood banks, playthings and slaves.

Sani Sabik aren't meant to be the good guy. They're meant to be a chaotic thing, following the laws of nature viewed through crimson tinted, superstitious glasses. So fragmented and different that, the three tenants and a shared appreciation for being a giant bag of spacepire dicks is what they have in common.

Liuni Kalthis

• Wetgraver
« Reply #26 on: 08 Jan 2015, 12:13 »

My personal two cents:

I feel like Sabik RPers such as Revan and Silas represented what is, to me, the most notable/important feature of the Sani Sabik - power. Others have already stated what I think, in a much more elegant manner. I believe, ultimately, the culture and rituals behind the Sani Sabik are just a manifestation of power, and the desire to obtain it through any available means. Power, wealth, influence, with maybe a dash of hedonism. These things are what Sani Sabik represent, to me.

This, I really do wish I had a Sani Sabik character; they seem like a very fun group to play "WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!" "Because I want--- I mean because the red god deems it right."
Pages: 1 [2]