Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That light pits, used to hold ships in place, are filled with complex electronic equipment, have no safety boundaries, and are lit with a dim blue light when not in use? (The Burning Life p. 77)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Arek'Jaalan II - the Return of Hilen Tukoss  (Read 13314 times)

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
Arek'Jaalan II - the Return of Hilen Tukoss
« on: 25 Oct 2014, 05:54 »

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=381390&find=unread

Event actor Hilen Tukoss returns, after ~3 years, posts on IGS, is now requesting Jovian body parts (from that event way, way back) for research purposes.

Curious.

These body parts will push him close to a breakthrough, the likes of which has not been seen since capsules&clones became a thing.

I See.

A number of things spring to mind:

The phrasing of the post - there are a few anomalies, which raise the possibility that this is not in fact Hilen Tukoss at all, that it is someone, or something else.

The purpose of the body parts - the ones that spring to mind, are requiring a Jovian body to unlock something in a device somewhere (in the style of Leeloo in the 5th Element for example), a Jovian body for someone to jump into (as some kind of disguise), a Jovian body for something to jump into (meat puppets of the Machine).

Oh dear.

I don't remember the exact details, but as I recall, the Other is some kind of creature that lives in the Sleeper virtual worlds, and wants to enter real space. In addition to this, something about the Sleeper virtual populations requiring real bodies in order to live/stay sane/population control/something else. This sort of thing was in Templar One, as I recall.

As was the whole thing about DUST implants requiring Sleeper body parts to create - resulting in capsuleers massacring the cryogenically frozen real populations of the Sleepers, with a consequential massacre of their virtual populations.

So these Jovian bodies could be used as some kind of thing to evacuate the Sleeper population, away from w-space, back into the real world, possibly in order to combat the Jovian Disease, and restore Jovian society, kicking out whatever Sansha's Nation elements might be present.

Good heavens.

Or, creation of a Jovian body, in order that The Other, can escape sleeperspace, enter realspace into the body, and begin it's war on the cluster.

Red God have Mercy !

So what are your thoughts on this ?

I think it might be a lore introduction to some of the things mentioned at the EVE Vegas thing - those weird permadeath characters they discussed as a potential idea, or a lore introduction to some other things that have not yet been hinted at.

Thoughts ?
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Arek'Jaalan II - the Return of Hilen Tukoss
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2014, 06:51 »

Thoughts? More twaddle that doesn't advance the storylines of New Eden for shit. I don't need nor care for more speshul snowflake spess majikz mumbo jumbo. Give me more politics, inter-faction strain/advancement and some god damned conflicts. Contrary to what they seem to think the last few years, this isn't in fact a rip-roaring spess adventja for spess Indiana Joss Whedon and his wacky crew of spess archaeologists. It's a sandbox in a setting that hasn't actually advanced for years now and this is just more distracting horseshit that will do nothing for the game or the setting.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2014, 08:26 »

I don't really have an opinion on it. I wasn't involved before and I won't be this time.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2014, 09:23 »

So. Notice the description for Zainou-- founder was the first person to transcribe himself to a machine. Odds are that's what happened here. The exact circumstances are probably some sort of attack-or-other, or gettin' too frisky with Sleeper tech, or...

My guess is that Hilen Tukoss wants Jove-y bits so that he can make himself a new clone body...? Or something.

I doubt the Other is going to factor at all.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2014, 10:15 »

Hilen Tukoss - "do it yourself" version.  :lol:

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2014, 10:27 »

Good to see some things happening on IGS.  I'm guessing the good doctor is not under his own control anymore.

I hope some of you push the event forward and others of you try and push it backwards :)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2014, 11:45 »

maybe this is just CCP going to do a tying of loose ends, so that people stop bringing up A'J at fanfest.
\o/

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2014, 13:14 »

They still haven't said whats happened to the rest of the Jovians, though I wouldn't be surprised if all but a select few ended up dead at this point.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2014, 15:08 »

I still have some of those parts - might have to dig them up.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2014, 15:24 »

it'd wrap up that whole thing as well - remove enough of the jovian body parts, people stop asking questions about what use they are.
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2014, 15:28 »

That teleporting Jovian event was like what 11 years ago? Are there many still around who have those parts?

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2014, 17:11 »

That teleporting Jovian event was like what 11 years ago? Are there many still around who have those parts?

A few collectors come to mind who've been aggregating them over the years. Plenty of them show up on contracts, given enough time. The Fullerene Shards are the most distinct and recognizable part - the others are quite generic in bulk warehouse sales.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2014, 17:16 »

There's one big difference here from round one of A'J that is making me a little shifty about the whole thing.

First round of A'J was very freeform - Tukoss showed up, made a channel, and said "hey, let's do some science". There was no obvious end-goal: while Dropbear OOC told us we were getting close to some story-critical discoveries, he also said we'd jumped off in some entirely unexpected directions. Yes, we had to sort through mountains of derp and failed attempts to get to the interesting bits, but there were some truly interesting discoveries about game mechanics, lore, and other things.

And, that's science, really: You just keep on trying until you run out of cake, and the science gets done, you make a neat gun report for Site 1, etc etc.

In contrast, right now this seems to be a fairly dirt-basic "retrieve item quest": Insert body parts, get science. There's no research to be done - frankly, we can't do to much in the way of actual research on a generic item in the game - and the options for participation are extremely limited.

And that saddens me, because what got a lot of people into A'J was the freeform inventiveness of it. We had piles of people who were otherwise not interested in "roleplay" hopping on board because they were asked to just do experiments or research (often in space).
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2014, 20:45 »

The thing which has me bitter about the whole thing is that this is basically what their last event was.

EVE literally has Themepark Style gathering quests, just writ large.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2014, 21:19 »

The thing which has me bitter about the whole thing is that this is basically what their last event was.

EVE literally has Themepark Style gathering quests, just writ large.

I think the corpspeak term is 'dynamic content generation.'

Right? Right?  :/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6