Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sleepers are an ancient culture that disappeared?

Author Topic: Re: [Characters] Corpii Cruor Crew  (Read 1082 times)

Jace

• Veteran
Re: [Characters] Corpii Cruor Crew
« on: 22 Oct 2014, 06:34 »

Why do people keep insisting on finding situations or ships where it is just the capsuleer?

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
Re: Re: [Characters] Corpii Cruor Crew
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2014, 06:59 »

Why do people keep insisting on finding situations or ships where it is just the capsuleer?

Why not?
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2014, 07:39 »

Why not?

Because virtually all PF and information we've ever received says it is not the way it works. But people are apparently just that desperate to fulfill the lone wolf trope, I guess.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2014, 07:50 »

Many reasons:

• Ships are perfect, all the time, every time OOC. Guns never jam, warp drives never fail, and the ship is either working at 100% or completely destroyed with no in between except for module overheats. So if nothing ever breaks, why would you need a Chewbacca or LaForge to go fix it?
  • Crews force the player to confront their own failures as they lose ships, an inconvenience they would rather ignore.
  • Some people have either no inclination or insufficient creativity to roleplay the meanderings of little people inside the ship. Their RP is primarily ego-centric, referring only to themselves and the ship as either a trophy car or an extension of their body. In shorter terms, they don't [wan't to] roleplay a captain of a vessel.
  • There is no representation of crews ingame for player characters, and plenty of overt references to controlling the whole ship with your mind. Easy to assume you're the only one at first.
  • Some ships genuinely can run without a crew, but they are few and far between, and only for the most skilled of pilots.
  • Because it's become such a debated topic that when we see players doing it, we'd rather let it slide rather than call them out for the 20th time and start shit with them. So other players see these older RPers doing it and assume it's normal and otherwise correct.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2014, 07:52 by Katrina Oniseki »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2014, 08:13 »

1) Crews are supposed to be highly-trained professionals, especially the ones on smaller ships such as frigates. Most failures not caused by the capsuleer's insistence on overloading one or more modules are probably dealt with pretty quickly. (Edit: to clarify, just because we don't see MAJOR failures does not mean there are zero MINOR ones that are hidden from us. And what about things like sluggish response time due to lag?)
2) "HTFU" is the phrase that should always be deployed for this one. While it would be a typically capsuleer method of responding to the issue (feeding the "I am the ship" egotrip by ignoring the existence of the crew and letting other people handle the hiring/firing thereof) it is still 100% wrong in almost every single case, so if someone doesn't like being called on it - especially IC - then tough fucking luck.
3) How much effort or creativity does it really take to say "I have crews, but I don't interact with them much" and leave it at that? Who said you have to do anything more than acknowledge they exist and are on your ships? Nobody really gives that much of a shit what they eat or when they take a piss.
4) The "Ship's Crew" item implies otherwise, as do numerous sources of ingame PF such as missions and other item descriptions.
5) Frigates. Literally just frigates, according to CCP. And even then, pretty much only if you've maxed every single skill that relates to the ship and fit.
6) At the end of the day, this is one of those cases where "you are doing it wrong" is appropriate. If someone doesn't want to fly with crews, they can max out their frigate-related skills and only fly frigates, or they can sit in a station all day. Ships have crews, period. If they don't like it then they're just going to have to HTFU and deal with it because the PF explicitly says they are wrong.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2014, 08:29 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2014, 09:07 »

What the Morlag said.

Also, blarg.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:14 »

I agree, Morwen. I was just listing reasons I've seen either implied or expressed around me.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:19 »

We don't want anyone thinking they're valid arguments, though. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: [Characters] Corpii Cruor Crew
« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2014, 17:16 »

[mod]Off topic/derail.[/mod]

If you want to discuss general PF regarding ship crews, I would encourage the resurrection of this thread: http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=2605.0